No bark to Buster, dog who snubbed cop: laid off, spurs puns

nimh

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:20 am
The headline makers loved this one ... but this report's local accent probably makes it the best of the lot:

Quote:
You want me to chase villains? You must think I'm barking

Licking the bad guys was the aim... but 'pussycat' police dog Buster took it literally

Lucy Harvey

HAPLESS police dog Buster has been hounded out of the South Yorkshire force for wagging work once too often.

Despite a £25,000 year-long training course, the two-year-old German Shepherd snoozed during a missing person's search, befriended a bunch of drunks, and relieved himself during an arrest.
After his handler, PC David Stephenson, reported Buster's behaviour, the force decided the dog - who doesn't bark - will be better off leading a quiet family life.

"Buster's a lovely animal. He's loyal and obedient, and he certainly looked the part - but he was never cut out to be a police dog," said PC Stephenson.

"He went through all the training, and seemed to be on course till he came out with me on operational duties. I could tell right from the beginning that his heart wasn't really in it.
"If there was a confrontation late at night, I could sense he didn't want to be there. He wouldn't bark or react - he'd just wag his tail, and keep a low profile."

The first sign of trouble came during a search for a missing person in Rotherham countryside, when Buster ignored a trail of footprints, curled up in the grass and closed his eyes.
When he was taken to a drunken row outside a bar he wagged his tail as some of the yobs tried to stroke him.

And when called to a burglary at 3am, he walked past the thief who was hiding in the garden, and cocked his leg against a wall during the arrest.

"You certainly don't want your dog to bite anyone, but you need to know he's going to defend you if the going gets tough and I didn't feel I could count on Buster," said PC Stephenson, a married father of-four.

"He just wanted to be everybody's friend. That's fine if it's a domestic pet, but I didn't want him making friends with offenders at three in the morning.

"I felt I was stabbing him in the back when I put in the report, but really I had no choice after the last incident with the intruder.

"I knew roughly where the man was hiding, but Buster walked past him, then laid down, and left me to it.

"I managed to find the bloke myself, and take him into custody, but Buster just wasn't interested."

Acting Sgt John Ellis, a dog instructor at the force kennels, approved the final decision to discharge Buster from the ranks last week.

"We spend a lot of time and money training police dogs to the very highest standard, and the decision to let him go wasn't taken lightly," he said.

"I spent two whole days assessing Buster. He's a smashing dog, with a lovely, even temperament. He was keen to please everyone he met - and really that was the whole problem.
"He was more interested in making friends with people than doing the job."

Buster has now found a new home in Dore, Sheffield, with retired civil servant Norton Arnould and his wife, Jane, who had been without a pet since their nine-year-old German Shepherd, Sian, was put down in June.

"He's so laid back, and he behaves impeccably all the time, but I don't suppose that's very surprising when you realise how much it cost to train him," said Mr Arnould, 68.
"We found out via a neighbour that Buster was in need of a new life, and the moment I saw him I knew he was for us.

"He might be too soft to be a police dog, but he really is the perfect pet."

17 October 2005
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 604 • Replies: 2
No top replies

nimh

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:36 am
See also any of these stories...

Canine cop could not sniff out trouble...
Independent Online, South Africa - Oct 19, 2005

Rotherham - Buster the German Shepherd could have had a great career as a British police dog had it not been for one flaw: his complete lack of interest in ...

Buster lacks pawsitive attitude
BBC News, UK - Oct 17, 2005

A police dog who failed to put the bite on criminals and drunks has been rehomed by South Yorkshire Police after only six months in the job. ...

K-9 officer too nice to stay on job
KTVO, MO - Oct 18, 2005

ROTHERHAM, England (AP) - Buster is no bruiser. And now the K-nine cop is out of a job. It seems Buster is just too nice. Police ...

Police dog sacked for being nice
CBBC newsround (audio), UK - Oct 18, 2005

Buster, a two-year-old German Shepherd, made no arrests and ignored fleeing criminals during his six months with the South Yorkshire Police. ...

'Nice' police dog sacked
The Sun, UK - Oct 17, 2005

By PETE BELL. The two-year-old German Shepherd recorded NO arrests in his time with South Yorkshire Police. During his time in the ...

Police dog's badge turned in over live-and-let-live attitude
Minneapolis Star Tribune (subscription), MN - Oct 19, 2005

ROTHERHAM, ENGLAND - Buster the German shepherd could have had a great career as a police dog had it not been for one flaw: His utter lack of interest in ...

Buster the cop dog refuses to bust anybody
MSNBC - Oct 17, 2005

ROTHERHAM, England - Buster the German shepherd could have had a great career as a British police dog had it not been for one flaw: His complete lack of ...

Lazy British Police Dog Relieved of Duties
ABC News - Oct 17, 2005

You're Off the Force! British Police Dog Pushed Into Retirement Because of His Lack of Motivation.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:59 am
Poor Buster.... Laughing

I guess he just wanted a life of leisure like any other dog.
0 Replies