HELLO, UNITARIANS UNIVERSALISTS

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:58 pm
I'm in a group of UU's that are about 2+ years old. If you are willing, I'd like to maintain a thread re topics of interest to UUs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,202 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:15 am
Hi Mapleleaf- I am always interested in learning something new. What could you tell us about UU?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:40 am
In general, UUs are non-christian and non-creedal. Some would say we believe in nothing. However, we open ourselves to the truth in all religions. In fact, some groups call themselves Christian UUs; they maintain key elements of the Christian faith but are open to discussion and searching through other writings and religions.

The following is from the writings of one UU minister:

David Rankin's Ten Beliefs

1. We believe in the freedom of religious expression. All individuals should be encouraged to develop a personal theology, and to openly present their religious opinions without fear of censure or reprisal.

2. We believe in tolerance of religious ideas. The religions of every age and culture have something to teach those who listen.

3. We believe in the authority of reason and conscience. The ultimate arbiter in religion is not a church, a document, or an official, but the personal choice and decision of the individual.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:43 am
CONTINUATION

4. We believe in the search for truth. With an open mind and heart, there is no end to the fruitful and exciting revelations that the human spirit can find.

5. We believe in the unity of experience. There is no fundamental conflict between faith and knowledge; religion and the world; the sacred and the secular.

6. We believe in the worth and dignity of each human being. All people on earth have an equal claim to life, liberty, and justice; no idea, ideal, or philosophy is superior to a single human life.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:44 am
CONTINUATION

7. We believe in the ethical application of religion. Inner grace and faith find completion in social and community involvement.

8. We believe in the force of love, that the governing principle in human relationships is the principle of love, which seeks to help and heal, never to hurt or destroy.

9. We believe in the necessity of the democratic process. Records are open to scrutiny, elections are open to members, and ideas are open to criticism, so that people might govern themselves.

10. We believe in the importance of a religious community. Peers confirm and validate experience, and provide a critical platform, as well as a network of mutual support.

From A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism, by John A. Buehrens and Forrest Church (Boston: Beacon Press, 1998).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:51 am
Mapleleaf- Some years ago, a friend of mine took me to a couple of UU meetings. She thought because of the person that I am, that I could connect with a group that was open to the best of all religions.

I really could not relate. I could not be comfortable with any group that relied on any level of mysticism for answers, no matter how eclectic their views.

Funny thing though. I have taken this test at Beliefnet a number of times:

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

Somehow, I always score very high in UU. Go figure!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:52 am
Sounds ok to me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:06 am
Yeah, I reckon the Unitarians are OK, too. In fact, a long time ago, I got married in a Unitarian church to keep my mother happy. (The thought of a registry office wedding caused her to cry a lot & become quite distraught! Laughing ) Anyway, they're a pretty enlightened lot. Well the Oz variety are, anyway(quite progressive on social issues) - I don't know about other countries.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:09 am
Hi Gus!

Phoenix, That's interesting. Mysticism, I don't believe that is a part of my belief system. Remember, UUs can be very distinct. For example, most of my group do not believe in a God.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:19 am
Quote:
Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;

http://www.uua.org/aboutuua/principles.html

By definition, a group that subscribes to the concept of "God's love", is a group that relies, on any level, to mysticism.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:27 am
David Rankin wrote:
We believe in the unity of experience. There is no fundamental conflict between faith and knowledge; religion and the world; the sacred and the secular.

Sorry Mapleleaf, I just can't buy into that concept. IMO, there is a huge conflict between truth and knowledge, religion and the world, and the "sacred" and the secular.

Of what I do know of UU, one of the very positive things that it has going for it, is its lack of centralized dogma, and the belief that there is something positive to be learned from all the various groups that populate the world.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:16 am
Hi Mapleleaf,

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been active in our local UU church for 10 years. I've posted the Principles and Sources on this forum occasionally when I thought it applied to one or another topic.

Here they are again:
Quote:

We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote

* The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
* Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
* Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
* A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
* The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
* The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
* Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

The living tradition which we share draws from many sources:

* Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
* Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
* Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
* Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
* Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
* Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support.

Phoenix, the reference to Jewish and Christian teachings you noted is from the sources. The Principles are drawn from the sources. We don't necessarily follow the practices of any of the sources, just take from them that which supports our philosophies on how we treat each other.

It is said that the seven principles can be thought of in pairs where the first reflects the individual and the second reflect the community; 1-7, 2-6, 3-5, and 4 being the bridge.

There are many agnostics, atheists, secular humanist, theists, and even Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Christians, Wiccan's, Neopagans and ??? within our congregations. The sense of tolerance, acceptance, community, and an opportunity for social action, noncreedal religious education for youth and adults, and mutual support is what brings us together.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:05 pm
There is some talk about UU on one of the other threads so I thought I would bump this back up.

There's really no such thing as a typical UU, any more than there is a typical UU church. Some are high church/high liturgy and others are merely gatherings of people who want to work together on one or more social justice issues. Some are politically/socially active others are more spiritual/religious.

The glue that holds everyone together is the Principles. The fourth Principle is the cornerstone that holds it all in place. Each of us is expected to make a free and responsible search for truth and meaning. UUs consist of atheists, agnostics, theists, Buddhists, Jews, Christians, or just about anyone who wants to be part of a fellowship but wants their own belief system to be respected.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:14 pm
From the other thread

Phoenix32890 wrote:
J_B wrote:
Some are, some aren't. I think it depends a lot on the size of the group.

Maybe. The funny thing, when I do the test on beliefnet, and I have done it a few times, UU always comes to the top of my list:

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

I score as 100% UU :wink:
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:16 pm
I was 100% secular humanist...I guess that's about right.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:41 pm
1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (98%)
3. Liberal Quakers (92%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (84%)
5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (80%)

hmmmmm
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:54 pm
ehBeth wrote:
1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (98%)
3. Liberal Quakers (92%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (84%)
5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (80%)

hmmmmm

I knew I liked the cut of your jib....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:59 pm
I've got to find out more about this secular humanism gig.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 02:37 pm
UU 100%. The Also Ran slots tend to be Eastern and mystical.
0 Replies