faith, religion and cars.

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 06:09 am
NickFun wrote:
Quote:
I am a Buddhist. We define "faith" more as "expectation" that the causes we make will bring the desired results.

We.. you... as in all Buddhists? Isn't that a strong statement? I mean, to speak on behalf of all of them? Your definition is inaccurate, buddhist or no buddhist. Expectation is expectation, and faith is faith. They are two different things, and while faith can have a good impact on a person's life, expectations can have the reverse, if they are not fullfilled.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:13 am
Cyracuz

Are you saying that "faith" tends to be beneficial ? Sam Harris says just the opposite.

However irrespective of your interpretation it is exactly the same sort of generalization for which you criticise NickFun. It is a truism that out of context different words imply different meanings. However we surely have to take into account the total semantic context when different speakers use particular words and I tend to agree with NickFun's generalization from what I know of Buddhism.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:41 am
I'm saying that if you have faith in that people are inherently good you make a lot of things easier for yourself.

If you expect people to be inherently good, that may not be as pleasant.

Even if you expect the worst it is still possible to have faith that it may not come to that. In fact, if you didn't you'd probably give over as soon as the outlook got grimmer.

Wether or not faith is beneficial depends on what faith is applied to. People seem to think that faith and religion are inseparably linked. Well, they are not. To apply faith to religion is the only way to embrace religion, but that is not to say that faith cannot be applied to other things.

Faith is the capacity to trust without understanding, and it is a noble quality if steered soundly. Me, for instance, I have faith in science, that science will gradually unlock all the mysteries of the world. But I do not expect it of science.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:17 am
When a Christian prays to God doesn't he have the expectation that God will somehow answer his prayer or bring him comfort? I am a Nichiren Buddhist. Faith is composed of determination, confidence and life force. Buddhism does not contradict science and the two compliment each other very well. When I am chanting I realize that the power to have my prayer answered lies within myself. Likewise, the power to stop a car with the brakes also lies within me.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:21 am
It doesn't matter what the definition of 'faith' is. What's important to note is that there is a difference between believing that you will probably wake up in the morning, based on regular previous experiences of waking up in the morning, and believing that God loves you, based on no previous experiences of God-love.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 12:16 pm
Agrote, many people consider existence to be the proof of god's love.

NickFun wrote:
Quote:

When a Christian prays to God doesn't he have the expectation that God will somehow answer his prayer or bring him comfort?

When it comes to prayer the important being is not the one who is prayed to, but the one who does the praying. To pray is to place oneself in a state of total devotion, and to do so does is spiritually enlightening and comforting.

Quote:
When I am chanting I realize that the power to have my prayer answered lies within myself.

That's what I mean. But does that differ in any great way from what christians do when they fold their hands? There are misguided buddhists as well as misguided christians.

By the way, stubbornness can be mistaken for determination, thoughtlessness for confidence, and in our strife for gain we often mistake our own interests with the interests of the life force. Faith is not all good always, but being a buddhist you probably know this already.
0 Replies

iduru

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 08:06 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
...Expectation is expectation, and faith is faith...

I think that sums it up nicely..

Expectation: Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing

Faith: Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

..and around we go
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:27 am
I do not agree with the way you define expectation. I'd say that expectation is what you want to happen. It is the image you have of something yet to come. Faith determines how you relate to that. It is the ability to trust without understanding.
0 Replies

sagar11

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:33 pm
0 Replies