Oriental Mythology

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 04:27 pm
There's too much debate in this forum. Yes, I know debates are fun, but sometimes, just learning about other cultures is equally fun. I've had my fill of the Judeo-Christian religions. Let's see something different.

I'm particularly searching for any Japanese mythology featuring eight. I know about the eight-headed and eight-tailed dragon, Orochi.

Quote:
Susanoo, one of the deities from the Japanese pantheon, was exiled from Heaven. He came across a couple that were crying beside their daughter. He asked them what was wrong and they explained that they originally had eight daughters, whom were devoured one by one by the dragon, Orochi.

The daughter that remained was the last of their eight daughters. Susanoo knew at once their relationship to the sun goddess, so he agreed to help them.

He ordered them set out eigh casks of rice wine that had been brewed eight times, one for each head. When the dragon came, they offered him the wine, got him extremely drunk. Taking the opportunity, Susanoo slew Orochi and the one tail that he couldn't hack to bits, he forged into a mighty sword named Ame no Murakamo no Tsurugi, which was later called Kusanagi.

I was personally wondering whether anybody else knew any specific Japanese mythological tales concerning the number eight. But, you can use this topic to discuss other tales if you wish.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 566 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:18 pm
Bookmark. Sounds interesting.

I read all the mythologies and folk tales in the library as a kid, but have not read any for ages, so I will listen and learn (and bump!)
0 Replies

subculture of one

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:22 pm
Oh... Just saw this post... So here's a little something for the time being (until I have more time to post more JPNS rel/folklore): Amaterasu's mirror is called the "Yata no Kagami" (Mirror of 8)

Sub
0 Replies