weight training in Guatemala

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:58 pm
Greetings everybody. I'm new to this forum and it seems like a pretty cool place.

I hope some of you who workout and travel can advise me on this. I'll be spending five long weeks in Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala in the spring, and I'm having trouble locating a gym there! I've found some places in Guatemala City, there is even a Gold's, but that is hundred of miles away from where I'll be staying.

It would even be okay to use the gym at a big hotel, but dude, I can't even find that! I'm starting to bug. I might have to get some of those AquaBell things you fill with water, but I don't have much affinity for freeweights. Just a machine type of gal. ¡A todo máchino!

If you know anyone who knows anyone who knows anything... please post. Thanks.
Gretchen
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,875 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:00 pm
Guatemala is a very poor country and gyms are a luxury for people who do not get enough daily exercise and like to eat. You will see the people of Guatemala work very hard and food is a luxury for them - thus no need for gyms. I suggest you just do some hiking and maybe volunteer to work on one of the little farms in whatever area you will be staying. You will have no trouble keeping in shape if you work as hard as the locals.
0 Replies

Gretchen

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:55 pm
I'm sure you're intending to be helpful, and for me a gym is not a luxury. I have to lift weights to combat osteoporosis. I could go hiking, go hungry, and sleep on a dirt floor, and my bones would still crumble away like chalk.

Fortunately I have located four gyms within walking distance of my family in Xela. So I'll be alright.

Anyone who wants this gym info, please post and I'll reply.
0 Replies

worshipfish

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:38 am
Gretchen's Gyms in Xela!
Gretchen, are you out there? Is anyone out there?

I am thinking of going to Xela instead of Antigua for spanish school and am also interested in going to a gym while I am there . . . .

Can you help?

1. Antigua v. Xela (I actually like big cities)
2. How cold is it in the homestays in November?
3. Which schools do you recommend and why?
4. Are there decent gyms near the homestays or schools?

THANKS!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 01:23 pm
Worshipfish--

Welcome to A2K.

You might have better luck posting your question in a new thread. More people would see it that way.
0 Replies