Filmjolk Sweden

dadpad

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 06:35 am
we have friends from sweden staying, they miss filmjolk which is like a sour yogurt or fremented milk product.
Wikpedia
Fil is the common Swedish word for several kinds of fermented soured milk very common for breakfast or lunch in the Nordic Countries. Fil is is similar to yoghurt or kefir, but is fermented by different sets of bacteria that give slightly different taste. Fil contains living bacteria and has a stabilising effect on the stomach and intestines. It is usually bought in 1-litre packages. The most common kind if filmjölk, soured by different kinds of bacteria from the species Lactococcus (a subspecies of Streptococcus) and Leuconostoc. The metabolism of the bacteria give the slightly sour taste. They also cause the proteins in the milk, mainly casein, to coagulate and make the milk thicker.

Fil is eaten in the same way as yoghurt, usually from a bowl using a spoon. It can be drunk from a glass, but is a little bit to thick for this to be common practise. Being slightly sour, many people add some sugar, jam, applesauce or berries. Cereals, corn flakes or muesli are othen used in it. In northern regions of Sweden, crushed crisp bread is sometimes put into it. Filbunke is fil made in small bowls, usually with a yellowish layer of soured cream on top.

If anyone knows where i could purchase this product or how i could make it please let me know here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,373 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:26 am
I suppose, you can make it yourself with non-pasteurised milk and the right bacteria - the milk doesn't seem the problem but how to get the bacteria?

Perhaps, you try to cheat a little bit and serve kefir instead?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:46 am
And get kefir from? the local russian goat herder? slip over to the caucases for the day? lol.
thanks walter i will look into that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:03 am
Oops, sorry, since you can get various kinds of numerous brands of kefir here in the smallest supermarket ...
0 Replies

stephenmargolis

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 01:52 pm
Swedish filmjolk
I was a big fan of filmjolk during a year in Sweden 1973-1974. Filmjolk and flingor (cornflakes) was popular in the town we stayed in.

I brought some on the plane with us in a Thermos and used it as a starter in a yogurt maker. It worked for a while, then stopped -- I was not a good enough biologist. It might be hard to bring starter on a plane with today's security.

The maker of Kefir is Helios. They have a web site. Here in the Twin Cities of Minnesota, you can get it in the dairy case of most supermarkets.

Kefir is good enough for me!

Regards.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:08 pm
unfortunately- dadpad lives in the wilds of Australia - away from any large city.

Although I haven't seen it here either. We can get a sort of drinking yogurt, usually with fruit, similar to something I had when I was in Sweden - perhaps there's a plain one.

If I have enough energy - I'll nip over to Ikea on Thursday. There was a Swedish delicacies shop in Sydney - but I think it closed Confused I can get halonberry jellies at Ikea, and lingonberry jam! And some other stuff. But how to get to dadpad!?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:03 pm
We already tried Ikea in Melb margo but thanks anyway. You should go anyway and pick up Daim (chocolate) and knackebrod.
I think they dont allow products such a Fil commercially to be made commercially in Oz because it is unpasturised. There has been a big war on about importing cheeses made from unpasturised milk, which I think the government has finaly allowed in.

Nanny state!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:56 pm
well - at least you can get the lingonberry jam to go with the swedish meatballs! (and they'll serve you the meatballs in Ikea, as well!)
0 Replies