Are we burned out on disasters?

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 11:18 am
I notice that there is little posting about the devastating earthquake in the Pakistan, India and Afghanistan areas.

Is it because we are so burned out on disasters we have no tears left to weep for these victims?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 495 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:31 pm
Here's a topic on the quakes: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61031.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
I was going to start a thread on the mudslides in Guatemala, and paused. Almost started a thread on the earthquakes, when the toll was fairly light. But really, what is there to say? I have just been following these things on the internet news sites.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 05:21 pm
BBB
On CNN this afternoon, my question was asked because the aid charities are getting worried that people are getting burned out re donating.

I think it hits us harder because now, instead of just reading about a disaster in a newspaper or hearing a news blurb on TV, because we see the actual sites over and over again, especially on cable TV.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:37 pm
It's another situation of money already flying towards the area and difficulty getting aid there fast enough, with blocked roads and torrential rains..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:52 pm
I felt the same way Osso felt. I almost started threads on the earthquake and the mud slides and the flooding in northern new england..... but, what is there to say. We all know about it. We all know the drill. Burnt out? Not really. More accustomed....maybe.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:29 pm
Tell me more about this flooding in Northern New England.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:34 pm
All over google news today, and I suppose all over new england..
increased swampiness, Gus...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:40 pm
When one sleeps all day one misses the news.

Thanks, osso.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:08 pm
Parts of SW NH were flooded with roads washed out and bridges collapsed. I was hearing reports on the radio and pffffting them, thinking the media jumped the katrina band-wagon. Then I saw some pictures - pretty impressive. Parts of northern new england, including towns just north of boston, got around 10-12 inches of rain in a day with general rainy conditions happening in the days before and after the heaviest of it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:42 am
To answer the original question - I can only speak for myself, but I am definitely burned out by the media's hysteria pounding at you day and night.

Am I burned out by the people's plight? No.

I believe when you take the average educational level, materialistic, superficial, self-entitled, narcisstic nature of the average american, who is hooked up continually to iPod, cell phone, laptop, and starbucks IV, and look at the way the media can so easily manipulate people opinions one way or another, just by having the latest computer graphics, I can come to no other conclusions that we are largely a nation of sheep, with damn few goats who insist on formulating their own opinions as to what is a disaster and what is not.

The media is a joke, and has been for a long while.

It's not about relaying information, it's about who can create the biggest sensation.

I long for the days of Huntley and Brinkley.

People who listen to todays "news" today have had their dials turned all the way up to 10 for so long, of course they are crashing.
One cannot maintain such mania for extended periods.

Many people can no longer discern what is a disaster and what is not.
The word disaster has lost its meaning. Everything can't be a disaster.

Unless more people start thinking for themselves, they will continue to rely of what some jerk who's trying to win another award tells them how to feel.

The day before hurricane Rita landed, I was listening to a news radio station, and this is EXACTLY what the reporter was saying, on location....."The next time I'll be reporting to you it will be to tell you of the number of deaths that have occurred due to problems with the evacuation efforts"

Excuse me, but JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

Another thing, I am completely burned out by the anthropomorhic descriptions of these events. Yes, they are actually events.
Hurricanes and earthquakes dealing blows, spreading it's rage, crippling cities, attacking homes. I watched as one reporter stood in front of a house, talking about how a tree crashed through and DESTROYED this house.
It was a tree that fell against a section of the roof.

Newsflash....these are storms and seismic events, they are not seeking out victims.

I for one, refuse to be carried away by the crisis d'jour.

Thank you for allowing me to express my opinion.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:08 am
Chai Tea
Chai Tea, I agree with you. Its just further tabloidization of the Media, especially cable TV. PBS is the only relief we have from a lowering of journalistic standards.

I was so numb from the repeated scenes of human suffering, But I didn't cry until scenes of people trying to save the pets were shown. My numbness, but not my anger, had finally worn off.

BBB
0 Replies