Hotel Infinity

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:18 am
So, an eccentric entrepreneur by the name of Alphonse Null has sent out a press release about his new, mind-blowing hotel: The Hotel Infinity. Null informs the world that this hotel has an infinite number of rooms (specifically, an infinity equal to the cardinality of the integers). A quick tour puts skeptics' claims to rest; as far as anyone can tell, this hotel has infinite rooms. The consequences are mind-boggling, and Null sets up a press conference to answer questions...

"So, Mr. Null, how will patrons get to their room, if their room number has, say, more digits than protons in the universe?"

"The elevators have an ingenious formula device instead of buttons... simply input the formula for your room number, with Ackermann numbers or somesuch... your room formula can be picked up at the front desk. There's not even any need to know what the formula means!"

"How do you produce the power and water for this hotel?"

"I have infinite generators and wells, of course. This IS an infinite hotel, you know! *chuckle*"

"What about costs? How much will it cost to stay here?"

"That's the beauty of it! Since there are as many positive even integers as there are integers, I can change the same price to only every other room and still make the same profit! I could charge only every millionth room... each guest has a one-in-a-million chance of not getting a free room, and I still get paid the same! I love the properties of infinite sets, especially when it comes to profit!"

"But, Mr. Null... I think you've made a severe mistake in your assumptions regarding profit..."

"Oh?"

The reporter then mentioned something which made Mr. Null's face turn white.

"Oh... oh goodness... THIS PRESS CONFERENCE IS OVER!" Then he ran out.

Assuming that everything Null said about the hotel is true: it really is infinite; it really is easy to get to your room; it really can generate infinite power for the guests; the cardinality of the set of multiples of a million, is the same as the cardinality of the integers...

So with what simple assumption did Mr. Null go wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,727 • Replies: 2
No top replies

raprap

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:00 am
That every room will have a patron.

Rap
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 12:08 am
Right - the number of people in the world is quite finite.
0 Replies