hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 06:49 pm
Thomas wrote:
Consequently, I take a hard line on Godwin's law

I finally learnt something from this thread. Thanks Thomas [Still giggling over Godwin's Law]
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:52 pm
ghostofgauss wrote:
Quote:
ok if we cant explain something then god did it... thats very primative way of explaining things...

In that case, when WOULD you accept that there must have been a Creator? If you saw a meteor fall out of the sky, stop three inches from your nose, comment on the weather, and then fall on your big toe, would you then acknowledge that a higher power was at work, or would you insist that it occurred in accordance with the natural laws (assuming you kept it around to prove to yourself that you weren't stoned silly at the time).
When that happens then you will have a basis for this speculation. Will you accept evolution when science shows one species turning into another species in a few generations?

Quote:

Anyway, I'll admit that the steps themselves proposed for the evolution of the bombadier beetle make sense, but the mechanism assumed for the transition seems woefully lacking to me. As you zoom in to the cellular and molecular levels, the enormous complexity required for the production of enzymes or even simple chemicals becomes apparent. What are the intermediate steps between a cell excreting nothing to excreting a highly specified enzyme consisting of thousands, if not more, atoms?

Chemistry is really pretty simple in its basic form. Complicated when you get large molecules but the basic rules never change. But the same goes with math. It is easy to add 2 + 2. Difficult to understand the billions and billions of variations that occur in a given species at any given time. Then even harder to use those billions and billions of variations to see how over billions of generations a completely seperate genus can be formed.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:46 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
By the way I was interested to read the introduction to the Sir Arthur Keith piece was by Earnest Hooton. I was only slightly surprised.

You'd better explain who Arthur Keith and Earnest Hooton are. They have both drifted into obscurity and for good reason.

I hadn't heard of Arthur Keith until Gunga mentioned him. But Hooton I had heard of. He was an anthropologist who had some influence in criminology in the US in the 1930s and 1940s. His ideas are now discredited. He was a eugenicist to boot. If he approved of Sir Arthur Keith then that tells me heaps.
0 Replies

ghostofgauss

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:24 am
I'm not saying that isolated populations won't speciate after even relatively short amounts of time. That has been observed. However that doesn't involve an increase in genetic information. Plenty of animals can mutate and gain an extra arm or wing, etc. But they always contained that information to begin with. A frog never mutates a wing, and a snake never grows a new leg.

BTW parados, you should try using complete sentences. They are a lot easier to understand. Razz
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:56 am
gungasnake wrote:
raprap wrote:

]Bombardier Beetles and the Argument of Design
by Mark Isaak.....

Mark Isaak is a known ideologue and a member of the talk.origins inner clique. He'll be standing there promoting evolution even after the first five hundred years of burning in hell for it.

This just produces too much material... I can't hold it all in.

1. You say "ideologue" like it's a bad thing.
2. Gunga called someone else an ideologue... Can the universe withstand that much irony?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:51 am
ghostofgauss wrote:
I'm not saying that isolated populations won't speciate after even relatively short amounts of time. That has been observed. However that doesn't involve an increase in genetic information. Plenty of animals can mutate and gain an extra arm or wing, etc. But they always contained that information to begin with. A frog never mutates a wing, and a snake never grows a new leg.

BTW parados, you should try using complete sentences. They are a lot easier to understand. Razz

Increases in genetic information have also been observed. (In most cases it is fatal.)

Your argument about a frog never growing a wing is not an argument against evolution at all. Evolution is not about a single step between legs and wings. You might as well argue that someone can't walk form NY to LA because no one has ever left NY and in one step been in LA.

BTW, we try to avoid criticizing grammar here. Otherwise people will be pointing out your failure to use the comma correctly. :wink:
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:53 pm
Quote:
Anyway, I'll admit that the steps themselves proposed for the evolution of the bombadier beetle make sense, but the mechanism assumed for the transition seems woefully lacking to me. As you zoom in to the cellular and molecular levels, the enormous complexity required for the production of enzymes or even simple chemicals becomes apparent. What are the intermediate steps between a cell excreting nothing to excreting a highly specified enzyme consisting of thousands, if not more, atoms?

Well I'm sure if you researched it enough you would figure out the cause.. I'm not a big source on biological matters but arn't a substantial amount of enzymes, proteins, and this protein is made through a complex system of DNA transcribing to mRNA, then to tRNA where it enters the ribosome and each codon codes with its anti-codon (rRNA)(which in turn is attached to a specific amino acid) and these detach from the RNA to form bonds with each other and build up into Peptides, Polypeptides and finally Proteins, some of with are enzymes by nature, clearly this process can be explained, if not briefly here...

Although this is complex and I have only skimmed the surface of this, but most if not not all things can be explained by scientific methods... Simply saying something is too complex to understand, therefore a higher being must have designed it is very, to quote myself again 'primative' and if not stupid.

(Dives into a trench, awaiting flak.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:22 pm
Science has not yet explained a small fraction of what is there just in your biology example.By the time it gets anywhere near 10% it will have vanished up its own fundament due to the synergy principle.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:44 pm
Quote:
Science has not yet explained a small fraction of what is there just in your biology example.By the time it gets anywhere near 10% it will have vanished up its own fundament due to the synergy principle.

sorry for my ignorance but i have no idea what u mean... there is much more detail there which for the sake of length ive omitted..

wait good old wikipedia has a good summery of it...

Quote:
Defining intelligent design as science
Intelligent design proponents often claim that their position is not only scientific, but that it is even more scientific than evolution. This presents a demarcation problem, which in the philosophy of science, is about how and where to draw the lines around science. For a theory to qualify as scientific it must be:

Consistent (internally and externally)
Parsimonious (sparing in proposed entities or explanations, see Occam's Razor)
Useful (describes and explains observed phenomena)
Empirically testable & falsifiable (see Falsifiability)
Based upon controlled, repeated experiments
Correctable & dynamic (changes are made as new data is discovered)
Progressive (achieves all that previous theories have and more)
Tentative (admits that it might not be correct rather than asserting certainty)
For any theory, hypothesis or conjecture to be considered scientific, it must meet at least most, but ideally all, of the above criteria. The fewer which are matched, the less scientific it is; and if it meets only a couple or none at all, then it cannot be treated as scientific in any meaningful sense of the word.

Typical objections to defining intelligent design as science are:

Intelligent design lacks consistency.[20]
Intelligent design is not falsifiable.[21]
Intelligent design violates the principle of parsimony.[22]
Intelligent design is not empirically testable.[23]
Intelligent design is not correctable, dynamic, tentative or progressive.[24]
In light of its adherence to the standards of the scientific method, intelligent design can not be said to follow the scientific method. There is no way to test its conjectures, and the underlying assumptions of intelligent design are not open to change.

Additionally, in the United States there is a legal definition of what constitutes science. In its 1993 Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals opinion, the United States Supreme Court articulated a set of criteria for the admissibility of scientific expert testimony, in effect developing their own demarcation criteria. The four Daubert criteria are:

The theoretical underpinnings of the methods must yield testable predictions by means of which the theory could be falsified.
The methods should preferably be published in a peer-reviewed journal.
There should be a known rate of error that can be used in evaluating the results.
The methods should be generally accepted within the relevant scientific community.
Intelligent design also fails to meet the legal definition of science on each of the four criteria.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 05:03 pm
For which some of us are very grateful.We might turn out to be a vibrating cocktail of goodness knows what at some point."Know thyself" is okay as long as you keep it simple.You might only be in love due to an osmosis process with ions.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 05:19 pm
moving of water to area of low concentration from an area of high concentration.. try it for yourself.. get a potato, cut it in half, curve a small hole in the top and make sure that u dont go so far in as to create a hole... dry the hole with tissue and add lots of salt in the hole... the water then is drawn up through the cells of the potato into the salt making it damp... (turgor i think, long time since ive studied any biology)...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 05:57 pm
Now I know where all that money went.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 12:04 pm
fish n chips and what not.. face it if ID is accepted in the us, her standing among other nations as a leader in the sciences will falter...
0 Replies

ghostofgauss

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 01:28 pm
I don't see how embracing ID would result in a deficiency in any real, practical science that would be important in international competition. It has no bearing in computer science, engineering, chemistry, or any other science relevant in the international market. Even in the realm of biology, none of the empirically testable fields would be adversely affected by a belief in ID. In fact George Washington Carver told Congress that he was only able to discover the 300+ uses for the peanut because he relied on God to do so. So I don't think that argument holds any weight.

And regarding the definition of science, it seems to me that evolution violates the principals of falsifiability, parsimony, and testability. And many ID scientists have been blacklisted from peer-reviewed journals, even with papers that don't relate to ID at all. In fact, within hours of an editor of the Smithsonion journal just allowing an article to be published that suggested the possibility that evolution might be wrong, he was labeled a Bible-thumper, and others were trying to remove him from his postition. I'm not saying that there is a vast conspiracy against ID, but evolutionists have been thrown on the defensive so much, they're not going to yield an inch for fear of having it blown out of proportion by those with fewer scruples.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 01:42 pm
I see the whole ID movement as an attempt to discredit science in general. If ID is taught then it makes suspect the other, real, science taught in the same classroom.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 01:46 pm
If ID is taught, we should start a trade school for alchemists. And perhaps doctors should treat evil humours.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:07 pm
Why do SD supporters insult scientists so much?

Answer-because they think they are themselves scientists because they defend scientists which is very severely patronising of scientists who must view them in some way I don't think the moderators would allow me to depict.

Scientists need no-one to defend them and especially not those who think of defending them as a status symbol or a style choice.
0 Replies

ghostofgauss

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:52 pm
ID doesn't call into question the science that can be tested by repeatable experiments like chemistry, physics, psychology, etc. It only questions evolution which happened with no one to document and cannot be repeated. (This does not include small instances of speciation that have been observed.)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:12 am
spendius wrote:
Why do SD supporters insult scientists so much?

They don't.

First of all, there is no such thing as SD (Stupid Design) other than in your head. SD is in no way reflective of evolutionary theory. It's a neat little catch phrase, but it's meaningless.

spendius wrote:
Answer-because they think they are themselves scientists because they defend scientists which is very severely patronising of scientists who must view them in some way I don't think the moderators would allow me to depict.

Scientists need no-one to defend them and especially not those who think of defending them as a status symbol or a style choice.

That's quite a nice answer you gave yourself there Spendi. Tell us, when did you first started feeling that other people were patronizing you as a scientist, to bolster their own ego?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:48 am
ghostie
Quote:
And many ID scientists have been blacklisted from peer-reviewed journals, even with papers that don't relate to ID at all.
This is totally false, Mike Behe is well represented in the Journal Of Molecular Bio and in a few other journals, so is Dembski in his field . I can name about 20 Creationists and IDers whove been published within their science without raising a sweat. Thats still a miniscule number when you consider that the scientifc community is in the millions. Dont post untruths, the rest of your "theory" can safely go by .
Quote:
ID doesn't call into question the science that can be tested by repeatable experiments like chemistry, physics, psychology, etc. It only questions evolution which happened with no one to document and cannot be repeated

You really ouight to do more reading into the subject. The ID scientist most featured in these posts is Mike Behe, who is, by the way, a supporter in full of the concept of evolution and common ancestry.His argument is primarily with natural sele ction. He sees a plan of approach in the development of life, yet, when confronted , he has never had a good answer for adaptive evolution (like recovery and speciation after mass extinctions) He is forced to state that the environmnetal disaster that caused the mass extinction is also "planned and designed". And the trail of ridiculousness gets more deeply rutted

ID is nothing more than a convenient ruse to bypass a 1987 Supreme Court Decision to strike down "Creationist Science" Laws in the various states because the concept of Creation Science was clearly religious in its center. Phil Johnson and Duane Gish and a few others conceived this little "wiggle of reason" to try to remove all connections between religion and "ID". Its all very cynical , yet its ok if its in the "name of God"
The Discovery Institute, by publishing its Wedge Document has gone out on a limb by , stating that the real desire of this movement is to return God to his proper place in science.I dont think they can redact that, so thats why theyve been quietly trying to sneak out of town in the Dover case.

ID is crap and the rest of the world knows it, we here in the US have sufficient numbers of the "believers" so that they can be a political force, whether they know what theyre talking about or not, and theyve got a political moment in the sun when the national leader is openly Creationist

Gunga has always been an outrageous believer on the fringes of Creation SCience" He gets his ideas and pre canned posts from sites like AIG and expects us to be impressed. Perhaps hes easily impressed, many of us are not.
0 Replies