Earthquakes

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:15 am
Quote:
Unicef launched an appeal for $20m (£11.4m) to save families and children, while the EU pledged £2.5m.

In Britain, a total of more than £2.9m has been pledged from charities including London-based relief agency Muslim Aid, Islamic Relief, Plan, the international development agency for children, Christian Aid, Unicef's UK office and the British Red Cross. Disasters Emergency Committee, the umbrella group for Britain's leading aid organisations, was expected to launch an appeal later today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/naturaldisasters/story/0,7369,1588765,00.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:42 am
Oz now moving to $5 million, and likely to rise.

Looks like the magnitude of this is beginning to sink in.

Sigh.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 06:05 am
earthquake believed to have killed more than 41,000, left 2.5 million homeless

EU pledged €3.6 million ($4.8 million)
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:29 am
Some agencies are reporting that Al Qaeda took a major blow in the earthquake with unfounded rumors that Osama himself is hurt or killed.

Now I'm wondering how Al Qaeda (and their sympathizers) will take this latest natural disaster. They called Hurricaine Katrina "a Wind of Torment and Evil from Allah Sent to This American Empire".

With less than a thousand casualties from Katrina and tens of thousands from the Pakistan earthquake, I'm curious to see if any Muslim officials or Imams take the tragedy as divine retribution from Allah against Al Qaeda???
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:28 pm
Interesting twist.

(Have been reading along, and learning, thanks for links and such. Awful awful awful.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:54 pm
I looked on the political board but I didn't see anything, but then my computer has been acting up and I might of missed it.

In any case, I just wanted to express my sympathy about the quakes and the unimaginable loss of life and destruction.

That is good that India and Pakistan put aside their hostilities for a while to deal with this emergency.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:12 pm
slkshock7 wrote:
Some agencies are reporting that Al Qaeda took a major blow in the earthquake with unfounded rumors that Osama himself is hurt or killed.

I've looked up all the major agencies plus a couple of national ones from the Middle East & Asia and couldn't find anything like that.
Could you please give your sources?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 03:21 pm
slkshock7 wrote:

Now I'm wondering how Al Qaeda (and their sympathizers) will take this latest natural disaster. They called Hurricaine Katrina "a Wind of Torment and Evil from Allah Sent to This American Empire".

With less than a thousand casualties from Katrina and tens of thousands from the Pakistan earthquake, I'm curious to see if any Muslim officials or Imams take the tragedy as divine retribution from Allah against Al Qaeda???

Sicne religious loonies always are able to interpret any sign to suit themselves, I would think, as starters, that the earthquake hit Pakistan because they are allowing the evil enemies of Allah to use their country to fight against god's elect, or somesuch.

Never was an event that cannot be twisted to their advantage, and the enemy du jour's disadvantage, by such religious.
0 Replies

Kasaova

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:31 am
They'll be alright. The Tsunami was much worse this is nothing.
0 Replies