Christians, why do you believe?

non-denom christian

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:34 am
The first time I remember anything spiritual, I was 4 years old. I was scared to death and I prayed. My family made it home safe and sound. We were in a vehicle being driven by a drunk and crazy person. Since then I have had MANY near misses and even an out of body near death experience. I pray often and read the Holy Bible. I do not have that empty feeling so many athiests discribe. I am whole. I live in two dimentions, one earthly and the other through the holy spirit. Sometimes there's conflict, but my spiritual compass always pionts to the heavens and I am blessed daily for the direction my Lord Jesus provides. It's really cool the wisdom I am given to help me through life. The tough times seem to vanish along the wayside and the good times are more sweet. I realize that I am no better or worse than others, I realize I have a purpose, I realize I have responsibility. Scientifically speaking, if the world evolved as some people preach, then there would be no such thing as evil. There definately is evil and there definately is good. The good news is, good will always conquer over evil. If you are someone who is searching for answers, as I know you are, good for you! Prayer is the simplest way to communicate with God. He will never ignore you. Just make sure you end your prayer with, "in Jesus' Name", out of respect for the greatest gift God has ever given to us humans. Even though I don't know you I will be sure to include you in my prayers tonight. Oh yea, if you do pray, life may seem tougher than normal. It has to do with your newly found conscience. Don't let that discourage you. Being humble has great rewards! Let your conscience be your guide.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:14 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Hi Questioner,

That is a very good question you posted there.

Why do I believe the way I do? Well, through reading the Bible, studying, sharing with others, and just everyday living makes it the only choice for me.

I have a personal relationship with a loving God that blesses me daily. Oh, I know, many would call those things coincidences, but I call them blessings.

I believe that my faith makes me a better person. I try to live as much by the words of Christ that I possibly can. It's just the love that I receive from a loving God that makes me believe!

That's a hard question to put an answer simply. I hope that helped.

Hi
I have become interested in Christianity over the past 1 year. Can you tell me how you feel god's love? Ive heard Christians speak of this love very often, but I dont know how to experience it for myself.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:17 am
Jamesw84 wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Hi Questioner,

That is a very good question you posted there.

Why do I believe the way I do? Well, through reading the Bible, studying, sharing with others, and just everyday living makes it the only choice for me.

I have a personal relationship with a loving God that blesses me daily. Oh, I know, many would call those things coincidences, but I call them blessings.

I believe that my faith makes me a better person. I try to live as much by the words of Christ that I possibly can. It's just the love that I receive from a loving God that makes me believe!

That's a hard question to put an answer simply. I hope that helped.

Hi
I have become interested in Christianity over the past 1 year. Can you tell me how you feel god's love? Ive heard Christians speak of this love very often, but I dont know how to experience it for myself.

Jamesw84,

I can only try to explain it James. When I did not have God in my life, I never had peace. I was always searching for something that was missing but I did not know what it was. Today, I call that my "God-filled hole." Once I let Christ into my life, and started learning of His love, peace started flooding in.

Everyday I feel God's presence around me. I talk to Him all the time. The Bible says the nearer you draw to God, the nearer He draws to you. He comforts me when I am upset. Because of Him, I treat people differently. I try to look at people through God's eyes now and not my own. I can see how God would hurt because of the anger and bitterness in this world. By my treating others with love and respect, I can show that love to them. I woud have to say I am an example of what loving and believing in God does for a person. It makes you something so much better (IMO). Happier, at peace, joyful, etc.

I hope this helped answer that question. If you have any other questions, just ask. I'd be happy to answer them, if I can.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:33 am
I'm not a christian however I have found god so I hope my post is ok here. I have been raised in a non-religious household, my only memory of church was playing in the back during a cermon with my dad. We were taught that god exists and we don't really need to go to curch for that. I have always had a feeling that god exists however the need to believe was never there. I have gone through life with a distaste for bible thumpers however I have always been a strong believer in religion just have never found myself in a place to believe religion. To fastforward my life story of finding god you'll have to find me at my lowest and unbelieveably depraved point of existance, haveing given up completely and convinced myself that god really didn't exist. Well it wasn't to long after this that the literaly most unlikely thing happened, out of nowhere I found hope which if I were to explain it you simply wouldn't believe me. I was faced with a journey which was filled with peril and the only thing I could do was have faith and hope that god would provide. Since that day I have experienced more signs from god which are to close to be coincodence. These signs lead me on a gauntlet of my every fear and in the end I was left with no reward, alone with tears in my eye and a bible in my hand. Since that day I first picked up a bible I have had more troubles then before this journey began however I now have a cross which I wear around my neck and although it is sitting in a drawer as I write this I know god won't hold it against me as I will put it back on as soon as possible
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:38 am
Deler,

You sound as though you are facing many of the trials we face. Yes, it seems sometimes that once we believe in God and trust Him then our troubles deepen. I believe that is because Satan is fighting to keep your soul from God. That's what I believe and don't mean to force that on anyone.

Can you explain something to me, please? It's ok if you dont' want to, as it probably is personal. Can you elaborate on the bible thumper statement?

I am so glad that you are on the path you are now. We are never on the same spiritual plane as another. It would be impossible for us to be.
0 Replies

non-denom christian

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:17 pm
Deler wrote:
I'm not a christian however I have found god so I hope my post is ok here. I have been raised in a non-religious household, my only memory of church was playing in the back during a cermon with my dad. We were taught that god exists and we don't really need to go to curch for that. I have always had a feeling that god exists however the need to believe was never there. I have gone through life with a distaste for bible thumpers however I have always been a strong believer in religion just have never found myself in a place to believe religion. To fastforward my life story of finding god you'll have to find me at my lowest and unbelieveably depraved point of existance, haveing given up completely and convinced myself that god really didn't exist. Well it wasn't to long after this that the literaly most unlikely thing happened, out of nowhere I found hope which if I were to explain it you simply wouldn't believe me. I was faced with a journey which was filled with peril and the only thing I could do was have faith and hope that god would provide. Since that day I have experienced more signs from god which are to close to be coincodence. These signs lead me on a gauntlet of my every fear and in the end I was left with no reward, alone with tears in my eye and a bible in my hand. Since that day I first picked up a bible I have had more troubles then before this journey began however I now have a cross which I wear around my neck and although it is sitting in a drawer as I write this I know god won't hold it against me as I will put it back on as soon as possible

Your experiences that life got harder once you found God tell me that you can also hear him when he speaks to you. Now, instead of doing things your way and getting away with it, God is trying to tell you to do things his way. It is a blessing to have those feelings. It means that you CAN HEAR. How awesome! May I suggest praying, and reading the Holy Bible. Also spend some time physically with other christians.

I also want to clarify your christianity. A Christian is one who has accepted Jesus Christ as their savior. If you haven't done this then that is quite possibly the reason for the feelings of fear. Once Christ enters your heart and soul you will find courage to face anything the world can throw at you provided you do everything putting Him first. In time it gets so much easier and you will find, very rewarding.
Religion on the other hand is a man made way to share your beliefs. Be ever so careful if you choose a "religion". Always test what you hear from people. Many say they are Christians when in fact they will only deceive you, so that you fall into a trap. My advise to you is read the Holy Bible and ask God for understanding.
I'm so happy you didn't give up! Also be careful in wearing the cross and remember that is stands for Christs blood being shed for our sins once and for all. Satan also delights in the cross, because it is where Christ died. I put red finger-nail polish on mine (for the blood), that sounds weird, but Satan can't stand it. Without Christ's blood there would be no Gentiles in heaven.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:18 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Deler,

You sound as though you are facing many of the trials we face. Yes, it seems sometimes that once we believe in God and trust Him then our troubles deepen.

This is the absolute truth. My life seems to be quite a bit more uncomplicated now that I'm not actively pursuing christianity. So many things that used to burden me (problems of sin, problems with belief) have evaporated.

There is a great truth in what you say MA. Satan, my conscience, whichever it was can really add stress to one's life.
0 Replies

non-denom christian

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:40 pm
Hi Questioner,
Somewhere along the way you chose to put God away from you. In doing so God has left you to your own demise.
Satan has a way of putting on deception like no other. Through your own lack of faith he got through to you. That is very sad. I just want you to know that you can go back to God any time YOU choose.
When I say be careful I don't mean that lightly. As smart as you think you are Satan is smarter. Only with the shield of God will you find the knowledge you seek and only when God sees you are ready for the truth. Untill then, faith is the only answer.

Think about the process you went through and how you lost your faith. Think about the choices you made and how they affected your life and those around you. Go back to the basics, the 10 commandments, you are not lost yet Questioner, you're hanging on by a thread or you wouldn't be on this thread.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:51 pm
non-denom christian wrote:
Hi Questioner,
Somewhere along the way you chose to put God away from you. In doing so God has left you to your own demise.
Satan has a way of putting on deception like no other. Through your own lack of faith he got through to you. That is very sad. I just want you to know that you can go back to God any time YOU choose.
When I say be careful I don't mean that lightly. As smart as you think you are Satan is smarter. Only with the shield of God will you find the knowledge you seek and only when God sees you are ready for the truth. Untill then, faith is the only answer.

Think about the process you went through and how you lost your faith. Think about the choices you made and how they affected your life and those around you. Go back to the basics, the 10 commandments, you are not lost yet Questioner, you're hanging on by a thread or you wouldn't be on this thread.

I get extremely weary of people claiming that they know what I'm all about. That they have any clue as to why I left in the first place. I appreciate your words non-denom, but quite frankly it's rhetoric like that that made begin questioning the existence of god in the beginning.

I'm fully aware, perhaps more than some others, that I have the ability to come back to god. The real question is do I have the inclination to once again seek out that which brought me nothing but problems without apparently doing so much as lifting a finger to help.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:51 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Deler,
Can you explain something to me, please? It's ok if you dont' want to, as it probably is personal. Can you elaborate on the bible thumper statement?

I appologize if I have come off wrong on this and it probably speaks for my problem with "bible thumpers" in it's self. When I say this I have no ill intent, what I mean is in the past those who preach blindly have come off as one sided and not willing to accept one for who they are when in reality it is me who is not willing to accept that they are accepting of me. My seamingly harsh statement has put you in my place previously when confronted with devoute religious followers. As for my christianity, I believe in christianity and I believe god, the christian faith has spoken to me in a way which I guess I could be considered christian. At the same time I have recently found buddhism which I know little of other then it says you must only believe in that which is good. I have taken my newly found christian morals and am now trying to turn my life into something different than which it is, and I find it quite difficult. I can feel satans pull even stronger now that I am trying to change my ways. The buddhist idea has helped me in this transition which will be life long. In just this very thread I have found words which have helped immensly and am thankfull for finding god
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:10 pm
Deler wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Deler,

I appologize if I have come off wrong on this and it probably speaks for my problem with "bible thumpers" in it's self. When I say this I have no ill intent, what I mean is in the past those who preach blindly have come off as one sided and not willing to accept one for who they are when in reality it is me who is not willing to accept that they are accepting of me. My seamingly harsh statement has put you in my place previously when confronted with devoute religious followers. As for my christianity, I believe in christianity and I believe god, the christian faith has spoken to me in a way which I guess I could be considered christian. At the same time I have recently found buddhism which I know little of other then it says you must only believe in that which is good. I have taken my newly found christian morals and am now trying to turn my life into something different than which it is, and I find it quite difficult. I can feel satans pull even stronger now that I am trying to change my ways. The buddhist idea has helped me in this transition which will be life long. In just this very thread I have found words which have helped immensly and am thankfull for finding god

deler,

I am thrilled for you that you are trying to find God. However, I just want to express something, you take it for what it is worth. Do you think it's a good idea to try to combine the foundation of Christianity with that of buddhism? To me, that is asking for trouble. I can understand taking a good quality of buddhism, but would think you need to be extremely wary here. I have no real clue as to what buddhism is about, so I can't really speak much of it. I believe in Christ the Savior and that I need no other religion because He fulfills everything for me.

I didn't mean to say you had a bad intent by using bible thumpers. I just didn't want to address that statement if I didn't know what you meant. That would cause unnecessary conflict. Yes, there are those that do not present themselves as I believe Christ would have them do. Yes, we must be careful of these. Those of a true Christian nature are proved by their fruit.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:50 pm
Thank you for your words and for your concern, it is the careing nature of chrisitanity which is one of it's appeals for me. Understanding of others while keeping strict values as a means to make it known what is good and what isn't. I greatly admire your belief in Christ.

I know little about christianity and/or buddhism however what I do know of both I like in every aspect and I believe a combination will work best for me. My view of a combination is that I see everyone as being a true nature; christian or not, even your extremist has their place in my eyes as one who kills in the name of god has just explored one extremity and another who takes a homeless person off the streets in the name of god has just explored another. I view that everything has it's place and the place of the devoute christian who may appear unaccepting whether they truly are or not has their duty of letting it be known that this is something which should be warned against. To explore every possibility and give a guideing light without damning those who stray is my view of god
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:56 pm
You seem to have your eyes wide open, deler. This indeed is very important when searching for the truth.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:27 pm
I find it interesting that Questioner has asked a question of others and what she is receiving is unsolicited advice and warnings.

We can only speak from ourselves and when we speak we expose ourselves. I like to just go ahead and try something new, jump right in there and start while at the same time confirming, "Lord, I don't know a thing about how to do this, but you do. Please allow me to see this work that you have given me to do." Then, I calmly begin but certainly not before seeing the work completed, as we have been instructed.

Buddhism, as people could realize, IS the very foundation of Christianity. Love, good, God, is all there is. Find your way to connect with this part of yourself. Some people breathe deeply three or four times, some people do some other something that could be unique to them, but if you are having problems with people, or in your job, or whatever, assume the presence in whatever way you know how, and proceed ahead knowing God will do this thing through you.

Find something to practice the presence - making a speech, writing, art, a sport, anything - proceed, PROCEED.

I do, however, think anyone can become frightened and quit but, so what, try again, and again. Call it a positive attitude, mind control, but it's only God. God is all, the only presence.

I also think that some religions create this "satan," with the general idea that the institution itself can save the general populace from it. We are all already saved, all we have to do is believe it and get on with the work that is ours to do for the benefit of mankind and not for money or personal glory. Personal wealth and fame may come, for some, if being rich is a challenge one must meet but, hopefully, it won't.

Questioning is very healthy because the questioner, if in the positive attitude, receives the answer simply because he/she asked. But, when we ask and receive, we must take on the feeling that we already have what we are asking for, then say "thank you" and proceed. If we change our thoughts about a thing, i.e., change the thought to "I think I can" instead of fear or "I can't" then God will change our feelings.

When I was in the throes of negativity I would constantly confirm, "The Lord is with me now, and unto the very end." You will, eventually, get "the feeling" of God but that is probably unique to everyone.

These are just my own experiences but only after many years of study, prayer, and meditation. One of my college teachers (Philosophy) who was once a Catholic priest, said, "After 20 years of obedience I can now be spontaneous." We can, and will, return to the spontaniety we had as a child.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 03:11 pm
sunlover wrote:
I find it interesting that Questioner has asked a question of others and what she is receiving is unsolicited advice and warnings.

We can only speak from ourselves and when we speak we expose ourselves. I like to just go ahead and try something new, jump right in there and start while at the same time confirming, "Lord, I don't know a thing about how to do this, but you do. Please allow me to see this work that you have given me to do." Then, I calmly begin but certainly not before seeing the work completed, as we have been instructed.

Buddhism, as people could realize, IS the very foundation of Christianity. Love, good, God, is all there is. Find your way to connect with this part of yourself. Some people breathe deeply three or four times, some people do some other something that could be unique to them, but if you are having problems with people, or in your job, or whatever, assume the presence in whatever way you know how, and proceed ahead knowing God will do this thing through you.

Find something to practice the presence - making a speech, writing, art, a sport, anything - proceed, PROCEED.

I do, however, think anyone can become frightened and quit but, so what, try again, and again. Call it a positive attitude, mind control, but it's only God. God is all, the only presence.

I also think that some religions create this "satan," with the general idea that the institution itself can save the general populace from it. We are all already saved, all we have to do is believe it and get on with the work that is ours to do for the benefit of mankind and not for money or personal glory. Personal wealth and fame may come, for some, if being rich is a challenge one must meet but, hopefully, it won't.

Questioning is very healthy because the questioner, if in the positive attitude, receives the answer simply because he/she asked. But, when we ask and receive, we must take on the feeling that we already have what we are asking for, then say "thank you" and proceed. If we change our thoughts about a thing, i.e., change the thought to "I think I can" instead of fear or "I can't" then God will change our feelings.

When I was in the throes of negativity I would constantly confirm, "The Lord is with me now, and unto the very end." You will, eventually, get "the feeling" of God but that is probably unique to everyone.

These are just my own experiences but only after many years of study, prayer, and meditation. One of my college teachers (Philosophy) who was once a Catholic priest, said, "After 20 years of obedience I can now be spontaneous." We can, and will, return to the spontaniety we had as a child.

Thanks for the words Sunlover. (btw, i'm a 'He' :wink: ). You present a new way of thinking that I haven't really considered before. Much appreciated!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:58 pm
sunlover,

Althought I can agree with some of what you say, I cannot agree with one thing.
"
Buddhism, as people could realize, IS the very foundation of Christianity."

Christ IS the very foundation of Christianity, not Buddhism.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:36 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
You seem to have your eyes wide open, deler. This indeed is very important when searching for the truth.

Thank you
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:37 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Deler wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Deler,

deler,

I am thrilled for you that you are trying to find God. However, I just want to express something, you take it for what it is worth. Do you think it's a good idea to try to combine the foundation of Christianity with that of buddhism? To me, that is asking for trouble. I can understand taking a good quality of buddhism, but would think you need to be extremely wary here. I have no real clue as to what buddhism is about, so I can't really speak much of it. I believe in Christ the Savior and that I need no other religion because He fulfills everything for me.

I didn't mean to say you had a bad intent by using bible thumpers. I just didn't want to address that statement if I didn't know what you meant. That would cause unnecessary conflict. Yes, there are those that do not present themselves as I believe Christ would have them do. Yes, we must be careful of these. Those of a true Christian nature are proved by their fruit.

Actually MA, if you think about it, there is much more sense to be made with taking the teachings of Jesus and combining with Buddhism, than to try piggy back them on Judaism's Hebrew War God with the obvious clash of virtues. But then don't just take my word for it. :wink:

Foxfyre during her first month on A2K wrote:
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:04 pm Post: 625307 -

Mesquite writes:
"Sounds like you switched horses and jumped from Christianity to Buddhism."

I don't believe I have attached a religious
label to myself in this forum.

Nevertheless, Buddhism and Christianity actually do share
some common virtues. Smile

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=625307#625307
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:47 pm
Mesquite,

Well, of course, you know I disagree with you. Yes, Buddhism does have some good values, just as all religions probably do. I just made the statement that Buddhism is not the foundation for Christianity. Christ is the foundation of Christianity.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:09 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

Well, of course, you know I disagree with you. Yes, Buddhism does have some good values, just as all religions probably do. I just made the statement that Buddhism is not the foundation for Christianity. Christ is the foundation of Christianity.

Oh, no, you said much more than that. What you actually said was

Momma Angel wrote:
Do you think it's a good idea to try to combine the foundation of Christianity with that of buddhism? To me, that is asking for trouble. I can understand taking a good quality of buddhism, but would think you need to be extremely wary here. I have no real clue as to what buddhism is about, so I can't really speak much of it.

So you admitted that you knew little about it, yet you warned against it Question

Did you check my link and then read Foxfyre's previous post that prompted my comment to her? Here, I will save you the trouble.:wink:

Foxfyre wrote:
Mesquite writes:
Quote:
Judge Bean's law is no longer on the books either. So how do you decide which barbaric acts, rules, or ideas to disregard in your search for inspiration?

No it isn't on the books now. And why isn't it? Because our society has evolved and looks at crime and punishment differently now than it did in Judge Bean's day. It is the same with religious beliefs. What seemed correct and just in a culture more than two millenia ago doesn't fit with modern day society or religion.

I started another string here somewhere asking what decides what is right and what is wrong in 2004. For myself, I define wrong as sin and right as virtue. Whatever harms me or others is sin. Everything else is virtue.

(Of course there are still the gray areas such as do you swat the fly which is good for you and your family but really really bad for the fly.)

0 Replies