sceptics what will you do if you're wrong?

baz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:59 pm
and there is an afterlife, has the thought
ever crossed your mind?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,410 • Replies: 26
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:11 pm
Don't matter none. There's a 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999 chance, once dead, always dead. Not worth the time of day to even worry about it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:11 pm
Oh, I'll worry about it once I'm gone.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:22 pm
Re: sceptics what will you do if you're wrong?
baz wrote:
ever crossed your mind?

I dunno. What are you gonna do if you find out you spent a lifetime worshipping the wrong god?

P
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:30 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
baz wrote:
ever crossed your mind?

I dunno. What are you gonna do if you find out you spent a lifetime worshipping the wrong god?

P

Ah, so you agree that there is some form of God Razz
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:42 pm
She did?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:45 pm
Probably yawn.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:52 pm
I think I would be very happy with such an unexpected continuation of my existance.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:54 pm
While alive I shall recieve no heavenly halls. Dead I fear no hell.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:01 pm
What is this, a quartet?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:24 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:
baz wrote:
ever crossed your mind?

P

Ah, so you agree that there is some form of God Razz

Naw. Worship doesn't make em real.

"I was born a heretic. I always distrust people who know so much about what God wants them to do to their fellows."
Susan B. Anthony Laughing
P
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:29 pm
Worship a goat; you'll get essentially the same results.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 05:57 am
I figure it this way, if someone really does not have a belief in an afterlife or a supreme being (God, MoZaloofo, Wally, Hazel, George, Fwabbbzawwnrnwjk or what-have-you) then there won't be any penalty held against them. Now at the time of departure from Earth Life there is a supreme being and an Earthling mocked and made fun of believers there could be divine retribution. However, to me the real factor in any after life situation will be how a person lived their life while on Earth. If it is One God, then that is who will be waiting for an answer, if it is a web of 100000 Gods then they will be looking for an explanatory. Either way I am convinced we will need to be answering to something and if I turn out to be wrong...well, maybe I at least helped someone smile along the way just by doing the best I could.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:15 am
This question is simply ridiculous. It is used over and over as a final stab at converting people. "Well what if you're wrong? Then you're screwed!"

A few things about this question (argument?) are of note:

1) If I gave in and became a christian just to cover my bases, would THAT kind of christian be acceptable? I'd show up to church maybe once a year (christmas, of course) and would leave early. Wouldn't bother studying anything, or giving any of my time over. I'd just go through whatever motions I felt necessary to be "saved". Doubt that'd fly.

2) If I was of the mindset to do such a thing, I would probably also be in the mindset to give lipservice to ALL religions just to be safe. In that scenario, I'd still be going to hell if the christians were right, because god is a jealous god.

3) Believing in a religion such as christianity that espouses love and peace, for simply being afraid of being "wrong" is a rather bad reason for believing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:20 am
I think that the probability of an afterlife is just about nil. For argument's sake, if I found out that there were one, I would deal with it when the time arose. I am not going to waste this life worrying about something that most likely will never occur.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:30 am
My thought is why does is matter?? We are all going to die whether or not there is an afterlife... we can't change that, so why think about the inevitable and get yourself all worked up over it... If there is one, great... then life(well death) goes on... if there isn't one and we just die.. no more memories, thoughts, etc... then it won't matter anyways because we aren't going to remember... we won't realize it.. just like when we sleep... time slips away....

So I say instead of pondering about what is going to happen after you die... why don't you start thinking about what you can do while you are living.....
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:17 am
Solomon wrote:
 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun. (Ecclesiates 9:5,6)
So, when you're dead, you're dead.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:21 am
neologist wrote:
Solomon wrote:
 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun. (Ecclesiates 9:5,6)
So, when you're dead, you're dead.

When a machine breaks, it's broken.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:23 am
baz wrote:
ever crossed your mind?

And you are supposing that if there is "an afterlife"...it, of necessity, has to be the kind of thing Christians preach????

My guess: If there is an afterlife...we skeptics will deal with it just like the poor, deluded fools will deal with it. Whatever way is offered.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:26 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Worship a goat; you'll get essentially the same results.

and milk and cheese!
0 Replies