Galloway Blasts Israel

Zippo

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 11:19 am
By Daniel Kahtan - Friday 30th of September 2005

The controversial leader of the Respect Party George Galloway this week provoked a fresh wave of condemnation after he launched a stinging attack on Zionism and Israel during a radio interview in America.

The MP, who this year won the Bethnal Green and Bow Parliamentary seat in a bitter contest with Labour’s Oona King, was denounced by community leaders and political peers for his comments which suggested Zionists had effectively engineered anti-semitism.

During the show, broadcast on stations across the US and online Galloway declared that, “Israel and dirty tricks have a long history,” denouncing it as a “little settler state on the Mediterranean” whose purpose was to “act as an advanced guard in the Arab world.”

Responding to interviewer Alex Jones’ claims that Zionists funded Hitler because “they said he’s going be good, he’s going to persecute Jews and he likes our plan of Palestine”, Galloway stated, “This is the thing about Zionism. It has nothing to do with Jewishness. Some of the biggest Zionists in the world are not Jews…. These people have used Jewish people.”

He added: “They created the conditions in the Arab countries and in some European countries to stampede Jewish people out of the countries that they had been living in for many hundreds of years and stampede them into the Zionist state.”

Labour Liverpool Riverside MP Louise Ellman, who has been derided by Galloway as “Israel’s MP on Merseyside,” said: “I think this is just another demonstration of George Galloway’s total hostility towards Jewish national identity and self-determination.”

Eric Moonman, President of the Zionist Federation, added to the condemnation, accusing Galloway of “manipulating many of the facts”.

He continued: “He has created a relatively new bogey for him, which is the non-Jewish Zionist. I think in short that one must never overestimate the power of his words but we must not underestimate the way in which he can influence groups of people who are somewhat naive about the Middle East and Zionism. It’s depressing that the Jewish people and friends of Zionism are having to justify themselves and argue their corner.”

Stan Urman, Director of Justice for Jews from Arab Countries, a group which represents the 856,000 of Jewish refugees from Arab countries, dismissed Galloway’s claims. He said: “How does one explain pogroms in 1912 and 1932 well before the establishment of the State of Israel? They were part of an orchestrated campaign by Arab governments to use their Jewish population as a weapon in their struggle against the creation of the State of Israel. His comments do not stand the test of historical fact.”

While Downing Street said it had “no intention of validating these well-known views of George Galloway with any comment, ” Galloway himself told the Jewish News: “I stand by all those comments. Everything I have said there is fact and there are shelves full of books to prove it. I believe that Zionism has exploited the Jewish people as much as the Palestinian people and has turned the people of Einstein and Epstein into one apparently represented by Sharon and Netanyahu.”

TotallyJewish.com

Is George Galloway Anti-Semitic or is he a honest and brave journalist ?
what do you think about this remark "Some of the biggest Zionists in the world are not Jews…" could this be true ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 762 • Replies: 10
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 04:45 pm
The lack of condemnation from the left further proves that the liberals in America care far less about Jews than blacks. Imagine if Galloway had said the same thing about black people the uproar that would follow. Instead, he is just talking about Jews, so no reason to be upset.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 04:49 pm
Exactly when the anti-Israel become synonymous with the Left? I can remember when that wasn't the case.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:17 am
Galloway's a jerk. Just like Hitchens. The pair of them deserve each other.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:03 am
Re: Galloway Blasts Israel
Zippo wrote:

Is George Galloway Anti-Semitic or is he a honest and brave journalist ?

I can't really judge if Galloway is anti-semitc or not, but I do know that he never was a journalist or has ever claimed to be one.

Previous Occupation:
Factory Work; Author/Writer; Pressure Group Campaigner

Career History:
1972: general labourer, Garden Works, Dundee; 1
973: production worker, Michelin Tyres; 1
977-83: Labour organiser; 1983-87: general secretary, War on Want

Since 1992 Member of Parliament (Glasgow Hillhead, Labour: 38.5% [1992], 51% [1997], 44.8% [2001]; Bethnal Green and Bow, Respect - the Unity Coalition: 35.9% [2005]).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:08 am
Jonathan Sacks, the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth, said in 2002: "I see three distinct positions: legitimate criticism of Israel, anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism. Anti-Zionism can certainly become a form of anti-semitism when it becomes an attack on the collective right of the Jewish people to defensible space. If any people in history have earned the right to defensible space it is the Jewish people. But anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism are different things. We're hearing more voices in Britain now who are denying Israel's right to exist and I have to fight that - but I don't confuse that with an assault on me as the bearer of a religious tradition."

source: Guardian, August 28, 2002
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 04:39 am
Sacks is an impressive speaker and thinker. I have heard a few interviews he's done, seems a very reasonable person to me.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 05:21 am
Sacks does make a good observation that anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism are usually separate things, and I should have phrased my question to be "When did the Left become synomymous with anti-Zionism? I think most on the Left probably aren't anti-Semitic.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:25 am
"Torah-true Jewry" and anti-Zionist movements such as Satmar and Neturei Karta aren't really centrist or even left, but as Jewish anti-Zionist movements of course not anti-Semitic either.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:43 am
Foxfyre
Quote:

Exactly when the anti-Israel become synonymous with the Left? I can remember when that wasn't the case.

Can't say when. In fact until I became involved on this forum I was not aware how anti-Israel the left was. I suppose one can learn things on A2k.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 12:56 pm
It wasn't Galloway who killed Rabin. Lots extremist Rabbis called for that assassination and qualified it with scripture. Then rejoiced when it happened.
0 Replies