Aesthetic Judgement

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:43 pm
Spendius wrote:

What do art lovers think of that and do they have any suggestions as to how the aesthetic beauty could be rendered more profound.

Suggestion: perhaps incise a swastika on one or more sides?
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 07:19 pm
spendius, you go into a big shpiel about medium and process...but do not concentrate upon the object which is to receive aesthetic judgement.
Your own puritanical feelings about waste get in the way of any logic, here again. You are also doing what many artists do today, making art into philosophy and
literature...and forgetting that visual art is usually made to be seen.
On the subject of philosophy: have you thought of donating your body to science?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:45 am
Re: Aesthetic Judgement Good & Bad Art
Vivien wrote:
agrote wrote:

I think that's all rubbish. Art can be universally beautiful or ugly.

but art doesn't have to be beautiful - Goya's picture of a firing squad or mutilated corpses hanging in trees aren't beautiful but they are powerful, as is Guernica, which I also wouldn't consider beautiful.

You and I just disagree on the definition of 'beauty.' My concept of beauty is closer to ossobucu's.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:02 am
Re: Aesthetic Judgement Good & Bad Art
goodstein-shapiro wrote:
I think we may all be barking up the wrong tree...that our approach, even in wording the question as it has been worded is faulty.
To begin, it is accepted in this day and age that if an artist calls his production a work of art, it is so accepted as such.
Secondly, of course we are ALL going to have different opinions about different works of art...each of us speaks subjectively from our own vision and psyche, and we do not even know if we see the art object in the same physical way.
Perhaps, we ought to approach the work of art with more respect...not that we have to feel it is good or beautiful...but just try to find out why it is where it is, why it was produced, how it was produced,how it is constructed physically and aesthetically, and what influences it may have had on other art.
If each of us looks individually, and with clear focus (a lot to ask?) at many many different works of art from different areas of the world, from many different time periods it will be probably that experience will refine our judgement as to what constitutes "quality" in art.
I think we are all to prone to find "good" or "bad", "moral" or "evil", as applies to things and people in our lives. It seems to me that it would be better if we tried to LEARN to KNOW to UNDERSTAND.
Here is an example of gross ignorance, which led to a decision that a particular work of art at the Brooklyn Museum was not a good work of art, and was evil. It was a painting of the Madonna & Child, using manure as one of the mixed media on the surface. The mayor of NYC tried to stop the exhibition and close down the museum, because he felt that the painting was blasphemous. What this art ignorant man did not know was that in the native village in Africa, where the artist came from, manure was used as a medium in building and decorating.

I agree.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:13 am
gs-

First-I think our bodies are already donated to science.

I'm not sure what you mean.Do you play with yours to prove you don't have "puritanical feelings" about the dreadnaught.

If I do "what many artists do today" then I'm "Up there" as Andy Warhol used to say.
Wouldn't my suggested work be seen if the Tate accepted it in a show.
I think I would have it suspended by the thinnest material which would hold it.Over a rotating globe.

Wouldn't it "receive aesthetic judgement" if it made some people laugh or outrage others.

What logic are my puritanical feelings getting in the way of.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:20 am
MA-

The swastika is an ancient symbol of good luck in a number of cultures.There is movement to restore it.

My artwork would,with your suggestion,represent a large number of "good luck" incidents.

Thanks.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:26 am
MA-

Found two pictures in The Great Mother containing swastikas.One is given as the Lady Of The Beasts painting on an amphora from Boeotia 700 BC.The other is a clay figurine from Thrace.Neolithic.

A quote from the Neumann's text-

On the Boeotian amphora,the opposition of life and death,represented by the goddess,is expressed by the life-giving swastikas and by the bull's loins and bull's head as symbols of death,castration and sacrifice."

Your suggestion gets more intriguing.

Don't worry though.They are tamed now as you can read on the General Thread concerning ladies'garments.With the swastika having been discredited by you-know-who some of them do employ a crucifix but it is usually not understood by the wearer which does provide an interesting opening gambit.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:59 am
spendius wrote:

The swastika is an ancient symbol of good luck in a number of cultures.There is movement to restore it.

restore it???? Hindus have never stopped using it, it needs no restoration.

I don't find Goya's paintings of dismembered bodies hanging in trees beautiful aesthetically - 'fit' as Osso describes it, yes, aesthetically perfect for the ideas they wish to express, yes, but not something that could be universally perceived as aesthetic.
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:21 pm
Aesthetic Judgement
One of the functions of art is to present a unified mix of symbols that gives a semblance of harmony...and thus, satisfaction...a composition that because it is balanced provides a feeling of security and harmony.
ANY subject matter can be used to do this..whether it be a portrait of a beautiful woman, an abstract combination of lines forms and colors, or a picture of an execution, or a picture of dead bodies suspended from trees.
The ARTISTRY, the AESTHETIC WORTH lies in the ability to compose the elements.
Any media may be used, any subject matter real or abstract, etc.
Aside: I think Picasso's GUERNICA and Grunewald's CRUCIFIXION are
GREAT and GORGEOUS and BEAUTIFUL works of art....but I wouldn't want them hanging where I live daily. I think they are wonderfully composed.
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:25 pm
spendius, thank you for inviting me to work with you in creating a work of art, but I must decline.
Artistic temperament doesn't produce art; it would be an exercise of futility, a waste of time.
acc. to ok chesterton.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:28 pm
Are they better composed than The Classless Society with Tomato Skins and Pips.I had planned a gleaming finish with tasteful lighting.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:54 pm
Tasteful, Spendius? The laughter is hurting my spleen.
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 04:35 pm
spendius....try try try...to get it through your head...a work of visual art MUST be able to be seen...otherwise we are in a different field...a field called "insanity".
Maybe you missed your calling as a proctologist.
Or maybe you should enter the priesthood. You are in the wrong area.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 05:02 pm
Maybe gs, but that's A2K at its best.

When I say a cube I mean a cube.More accurate in the length of sides and the flatness of each of the six surfaces than the pyramid builders could have dreamed of.And they call that higgle-de-piggledy pile of stones art don't they?

And so shiny you could use it to comb your hair or see if your pants are hanging fashionably.

I can't be bothered doing it.It would take too much time and cost a fortune.Imagining does the trick.But I know how I would go about it if I really wanted it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 05:13 pm
gs-

By heck,A2K is great.

I didn't know what a proctologist was so I Googled it and the top link had a really good joke.

Check it out.
0 Replies