Tough Decisions

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:31 am
Today I have for you only one question to consider. But it's a very important one.

By giving an honest answer, you'll discover where you stand morally.

It's a completely fictitious situation but you'll need to make a decision that's honest yet spontaneous.

You are in New Orleans. There's chaos all around you due to a hurricane with severe flooding. This is a flood of biblical proportions. You are a photojournalist for a major newspaper, and you're caught in the middle of this epic disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless. You're attempting to shoot career-making photos. There are houses and people swirling around you, some disappearing under the water. Nature is unleashing all of its destructive fury.

Suddenly you see a man floundering in the water. He is fighting for his life, trying not to be taken down with the debris. You move closer, somehow he looks familiar. You suddenly realize who it is. It's George W. Bush! At the same time, you notice that the raging waters are about to take him under.....forever.

You have two options: you can save the life of G.W. Bush....or ...you can shoot a dramatic, Pulitzer Prize winning photo, documenting the death of one of the world's most powerful men.

So, here's the question--and please give an honest answer ...Would you take the shot in color or would you go with the classic simplicity of black and white
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,055 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:37 pm
Gee gosh golly! Gee whillickers, what a conundrum!

You see the thing is I really am not a very good swimmer (the word almost drowned is part of my past) and I am even worse at photography. Which thing which I am bad at would I do? Well, to be honest I would see if I could find something to toss out to George as he bobbed up and down up and down up and down up and down in the water. If I were feeling particular adventurous I would try to get a strong rope or something similar tied around a tree and and secured and then get a piece around myself and then go into the water hoping for the best...Nah, I'd just watch in horror. Unless I could somehow get help over to him I am afraid he would have to perish. I doubt that I would grab hold of my camera at that moment...I can be cruel and heartless but... of course Barb and George the first sure would be delighted to have a last picture of their lad as he was swept towards eternity.

It seems I really don't know what I would do...I would like to think I would try to rescue the drowning President but I am not sure, and I am equally not sure that I would decide it was the great photo-op of my life.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:55 pm
Color. I could always greyscale it later and compare the two versions.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:00 pm
I still refuse to take the picture when there is a life hanging in the balance.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:03 pm
George Bush is pretty good at wading through horseshit. If he couldn't make it out, then what chance would I have?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:04 pm
I would probably call for help, because I am certain that there would be secret service men around somewhere. I'm a good swimmer, but I'm not stupid. As for the award winning photo. What better publicity than to save the president of the United States.

I can see the headlines now:

Brave photojournalist drops camera and possible fame to help drowning man.

Razz

Seriously, bvt. I think, perhaps, we would all do the same.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:08 pm
I wouldn't try to save him. It would be like trying to save Hitler.

Also, I don't think I can swim well enough to rescue someone that much bigger than me, and the adrenaline surge that kicks in when someone you care about is in danger...just wouldn't be there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:12 pm
I would take the photo in black and white, get as close to his face as necessary.

then i would try to save his life because all his goons in black will make sure i die myself.. and soon, when they find out who photographed the president and didnt save him. No matter how impossible it would have been.

can i be anonymous ?
If I can submit my beautiful black and white of the presidents last minutes... no. i would not save him
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:15 pm
You people are cold! Yikes.

I'd hate to be dying while in your company....you'd probably stand over me with a toothy grin, eating the last of your Snickers bar.

Laughing
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:17 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
You people are cold! Yikes.

I'd hate to be dying while in your company....you'd probably stand over me with a toothy grin, eating the last of your Snickers bar.

Laughing
Perhaps a bag of M&M's
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:19 pm
Or maybe a Kit Kat?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:19 pm
only to drop crumbs near your starving lips..
blow them just out of the reach of your dehydrated tongue...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:20 pm
You could at least spit into my mouth so my tongue doesn't shrivel up into a hard mass of yuck...
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:22 pm
I'd save Bella. Unless she's killed countless innocent civilians and sent well-meaning soldiers to their deaths under false pretenses.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:23 pm
if the pres were drowning, and he could see me,

i would tip toe to the edge of the water, slid my foot in, dramatically jump back and yell " Its too cold! Sorry man!"
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:25 pm
"I forgot my suit and these jeans cost me $100!"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:26 pm
Or.
lemme go get a floatie
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:46 pm
Wouldn't take a picture...the question would be...

Do I push his head under water, or do I save his sorry ass?!
Probably I would be looking around...if there was anyone else that needed my help; they would get it first! That includes pets
0 Replies

keenu

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:03 am
tough decisions
Laughing Classic b/w with a fish eye lens and I would use a little time exposure so we would get the slight impression of the downward sucking motion and possibly the expression on his face.
0 Replies