Presidential first names.........

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 11:19 pm
Gala<

For those old enough to remember, the slogan "You can't lick our Dick" really made the rounds in the campaigns of the late President Richard M. Nixon.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 06:27 pm
williamhenry3,

Wasn't there another slogan: "Lick Dick in 72"? And "No news in Agnews."

I recommend you see the movie "Dick", which stars Kirsten Dunst. Its a clever, and hilarious take on the events during Watergate seen through the eyes of two teenagers. They cover everything from the break-in ( how it really went down ), the talks with Breznev (sp), the erased 18 1/2 minutes of the tapes and the origin of Deep Throat.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:03 pm
It is a funny movie. So is Dave, though in a different vein. Have we ever had a president named David? I know about Ike, but that was his middle name.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:45 pm
Gala<

Yes, your Dick and Agnew slogans ring true.

Thanks for the synopsis of the movie. I'll certainly have to see it.

One of my all-time favorite slogans was made in the Y2k campaign, when Democrat Jesse Jackson warned voters: "Don't go to Bushes."

Too bad the warning wasn't heeded.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 12:43 pm
mamajuana, I'm glad you've seen "Dick". It's a movie that didn't get on the promotion bandwagon so it disapeared as soon as it was released.

williamhenry3, you won't be disapointed. Dan Hedaya plays a perfect Nixon, stiff, bitter and mean. At one point in the film he yells at Checkers saying, "Shut up Checkers, or I'll feed you to the Chinese."
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:29 pm
Gala wrote:

At one point in the film he yells at Checkers saying, "Shut up Checkers, or I'll feed you to the Chinese."

I would presume this yelling was an early reference to Nixon's historic visit to China. Chatter about China back then was as constant as today's is about Iraq. Thankfully, though, no war was involved.
0 Replies