Presidential first names.........

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:29 pm
Let me start with a personal thing - there are names I like and names I don't like. I like names like Thomas, John, Matthew, Anthony, Sam. I don't like names like George. George has a harsh sound, and is difficult on the tongue. It also has to remain in its original form. Georgie gives it another status. If you have a dog, and you name it George, it's very difficult to stand and yell "here, George, here George," without sounding silly.

Orrin is different, as is Arlen. Now Howard is a name I'm getting used to. At first, I didn't know, but it's sounding a better and better name.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,502 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:36 pm
There was Mario Cuomo, who I thought would have made a great president, only he never ran. There was some thought that Americans wouldn't vote for a man whose name ended in a vowel. Which, of course, is thinly veiled discrimination against certain groups...

Chances are, certain first names will never be in vogue again. Millard comes to mind...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:42 pm
ulysses
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:49 pm
How would John Washington sound. Nah!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:51 pm
Grover
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 04:58 pm
But, au, I don't know about you, but to me he's always been George Washington, a name complete.

Ulysses is strong - I wouldn't mess with him.

Mario - always liked him.

I am keen on Howard Dean. So far.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 04:59 pm
I like Howard Dean, too. And--he has two first names! I think that's cool (like Tom Arnold or Henry Aaron).
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 05:32 pm
How about Millard Howard Dean Fillmore?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 05:54 pm
How about William Henry Harrison? Our ninth president...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 06:23 pm
"Howard" may not be an easy sell. It kind of sounds like the dorky guy with glasses on some sit-com. The first name of someone who never became president but might have been pretty good (help me out with the spelling here): Adlai.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 06:43 pm
hey, he could run as the duck...
http://gothic.vei.net/lennonweb/images/htd.jpg
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 07:06 pm
D'artagnan<

For some reason, your last suggestion sounds familiar. Why didn't I think of it Question

Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 07:34 pm
There are some names that must be replaced with nicknames, there are some personas that never synch with a nickname:

Franklin No
Harry No
Dwight Ike
John Jack
Lyndon No
Richard Dick
Gerald Jerry
Jimmy er?
Ronald Ronnie
George
William Bill
George
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:32 pm
Adlai Stevenson. I don't think he was dorky so much as he was too intelligent. And Bill Bradley - he was also too bright, even though he was a star athlete. So what's that say? A man named George, whose athletic ability was mostly in cheerleading, whose intellectual capacities are a matter for argument - that's a reason not to have a George.

Howard may sound dorky, but when I was in grade school the toughest kid around was a Howard - and nobody called him Howie. And isn't there a Millard Fillmore day?

Abraham - Abe
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 08:35 pm
mama<

Heart-stopping news! There are no more Millard Fillmore Day celebrations because they were discontinued by the dwindling membership of the Millard Fillmore Society. The celebration of Fillmore's Day was on his birthday, Jan. 7.

Fillmore's most memorable action while president was having the first bathtub installed in the White House.

Because of this stunning achievement, I think Millard's Day should be revived. It's too bad President Fillmore doesn't get the respect he deserves

www.straightdope.com/classics/al_107.html
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:59 pm
Oh gee. Some comic strip used to make a big thing out of Millard Fillmore day - was it Peanuts?

And I was thinking - a one-term president named Jimmy - now he turned out to be a somebody.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 05:02 pm
Jimmy Carter has come to be known as America's greatest living ex-president.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 05:12 pm
Teddy is a good one, the common touch.

Richard beomes Dick, and well, that is too easy to riducule.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 05:40 pm
Not sure about the duck, patiodog, but his running mate gets my vote!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 09:04 pm
Quick, now. Wouldn't Hillary be a great name? It can be either or neither gender - and has a great ring.......
0 Replies