Then Came Rita

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:36 pm
The traffic is CHAOS. I just saw an interview on CNN where one motorist said he had been on the road since 4:00 am and after 9 hours he had traveled 10 miles. It's a parking lot, people are running out of gas, temps in the 90s, engines overheating and cars being left on the side of the road taking up a full lane, further reducing the space to evacuate.

Greater metropolitan Houston is the fourth largest metropolitan area in the US and they can't get out. They've stopped sending busses across the bridge from Gavelston that were carrying people who needed public transportation because they want the busses to have time to get to safety before late TOMORROW night. Galveston is 90% evacuated, thank goodness.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:43 pm
the katrina evacuees in Houston are now being moved again...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:11 pm
I haven't had the heart to call another cousin who left New Orleans, lost everything, and has now rented an apartment with his family in Houston. I just can't bring myself to contact him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:13 pm
I keep hearing the "veering east" talk, but the man on the television said not to believe there has been any fundamental changes.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:23 pm
What's it like being in one of these things?

We never get anything like this here.It's really boring is England.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:25 pm
New Orleans has patched together the levees, but if all the levees go....

I'm not just talking about the French Quarter but a great deal of International Shipping and Domestic Oil.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:42 pm
Right now, the weather is sunny, hot and muggy. Tomorrow morning, it will begin to get rainy as bands increasingly throw and gusts of wind. Half of the people are frantic with worry; the other half is quiet and calm, and the third half hasn't a clue. Once it sets in, I have never been able to relax until it's over. I spent hurricanes Alicia and Celia walking counterclockwise from room to room to see what was happening on all sides. I lived a few miles down the road during alycia. The only damage in our neighborhood was, some lost patches of shingles, some lost fence sections. During Celia, the halfway constructed house next door was blown apart, the neighbors way off to the rear were standing in the weather, trying to hold the patio roof down as the wind sought to lift it. My own home in each case went unscathed.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:49 pm
edgar, here's hoping your place goes 3 for 3!

anybody hear from PDiddie lately?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:52 pm
Edgar, I would have evacuated, I would be absolutely terrified just wondering what was to come...you are a brave man.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:57 pm
pdiddy and wife have a hotel room secured outside of houston

>rumor mill has it<
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:59 pm
Good, I have been picturing them stuck in traffic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:59 pm
But wait, are they there yet or just reserved it..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:00 pm
there is a chance they may be?
who knows if they left in time?
i hope not..!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:04 pm
Just been watching BBC News.....apparently it is down to cat 4, and is predicted to be heading for Galveston. Land fall Friday night (ish).
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:05 pm
edgar. I keep an eye on the National Hurricane Center site. Last night the "three day cone" showed Rita coming ashore pretty much midway between Galveston and Corpus Christi, When I checked it this pm, it has appeared to have gone from a northwesterly course to more northerly. TV weatherairheads may not realize that that means a more easterly track. Closer to the TX border with LA.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:09 pm
I say, if we all stand on our porches and blow REALLY HARD... we can possibly blow this thing in another direction..

come on..
wadda'ya say huh?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:12 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I say, if we all stand on our porches and blow REALLY HARD... we can possibly blow this thing in another direction..

come on..
wadda'ya say huh?

There you go shewolf :wink: Smile
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:17 pm
if memory serves, wolves are quite good at huffing, puffing and blowing houses in...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:18 pm
Coffee's on at the Wine Cellar for all those waiting to hear from friends and loved ones in the path of the storm...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1582733#1582733
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:48 pm
PDiddie got out of town before the mass exit even started. He is sitting safely in his hotel room (or thereabouts). He is the smartest Houstonian of all.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Then Came Rita
  3. » Page 7
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 07:22:08