Then Came Rita

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:08 pm
I'm in Tulsa, RJB. Well out of the way of any hurricanes, believe me. Tornados are scary enough.

I do wish Edgar & PDiddie would check in and let us know what they're doing. They may be too busy packing, though.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:18 pm
(oops, my geography of that region is a bit sketchy. Johnboy blushes)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
rjb--

You just assume that Eva is in the line of the storm because of her goddess-like tresses blowing in the wind.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
Rita has been upgraded to a category 5, 165 mph sustained winds with 200mph gusts.

The evacuations have already begun.

They think it might weaken before it makes landfall. Let's hope so.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:43 pm
Ya'll have to recognize, I work 8 to 5, so, couldn't reply. Mrs edgarblythe went around to buy more water and stuff. The new Walmart had almost no food items in the entire store, and not a drop of water, not even the sissy flavored kind. People were stealing water out of others' shopping carts and at one juncture, the cops had to break up some of these water fights. I've been through hurricanes Alicia, Celia, Fern and one other I forgot the name of, but have never seen people get so nervous about one before this.

PDiddie registered a hotel room somewhere out of harm's way. We are going to weather it in the apartments, located in Tomball. The storm has to cross all of Houston to reach us. We are high, so the only danger will be from high wind and/or tornadoes.

Today has been oppressively hot and muggy. I had to go sit in the air conditioning a while before heading home.

I know other a2kers are from Houston. Don't know for sure who they are.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:47 pm
good luck eb & everyone else in TX.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:49 pm
One of my sons-in-law was talking down the refugees from New Orleans not too long ago. He mimiced one, saying, "Gimme money. You OWE me." It was pretty ugly.
Well, he lives not so far from where the water will surge, planning to ride it out there. I keep wondering, If he loses everything in the storm, will he accept any help? We may have an opportunity to observe such a situation.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:56 pm
Fear of N.O. has driven people of austin to warn each other to store water and batteries, flashlights ( expected power outages) and basically to be prepared for possible flooding..

strange.. we are very far inland for that dont you think?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:30 pm
I think you may get some wind and rain, but nothing I would get too worried about.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:32 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Fear of N.O. has driven people of austin to warn each other to store water and batteries, flashlights ( expected power outages) and basically to be prepared for possible flooding..

strange.. we are very far inland for that dont you think?

in the 1950's people in Toronto, Canada were killed by Hurricane Hazel. That, at least, is a hint that almost nothing is too far inland.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:33 pm
I lifted this message from PDiddie's blog:

We have an evacuation plan that includes picking up my in-laws in northwest Houston and carrying them to Dallas, where we have a hotel room reserved beginning Friday evening for a week. (Mrs. Dittie, who leaves for Chicago on business tomorrow morning, will change her return plans to land in D-FW Friday night, instead of Hobby.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:41 pm
Mygawd!! It's a cat-5, edgar. And you know that in the Texas flatlands these storms sometimes generate tornadoes as well. I'm sure you've been to Galveston waterfront and have seen the plaque and memorial to the victims of 1900. Can't you and the missus get out and let it blow over?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:41 pm
Thanks, edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:43 pm
We ain't on the coast, quite. I think we will stay put.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:58 pm
Coast, Smoast!

Dadgummit, MOVE OUTTA THERE!

This isn't something to take your chances with! Load up the misses and come stay with the bears for a few days if you need to.

JUST MOVE!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:01 pm
Oh, this is scary.

Be safe, everyone.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:09 pm
you said it soz
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:19 pm
Be safe, EB. I trust you know what you are doing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:00 pm
After we lose power, as I am certain we will, there will be no restoration of service for at least a few weeks. Houston's electric teams are in Louisiana. Can you say, "Charcoal grill and cans of soup"?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:10 pm
a few years ago my sister and brothe-in-law spent about a week with no heat and power due to a massive ice storm, my sister learned that you could barbecue anything if you put your mind to it
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Then Came Rita
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 11:19:09