Then Came Rita

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:57 pm
Hah, I suspected as much. He is very organized.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:58 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
if memory serves, wolves are quite good at huffing, puffing and blowing houses in...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
Still worried about eoe's people on the road..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:01 pm
Quote:
Still worried about Eoe's people on the road..

I am worried too. If I were starting a Journey to Oz, I'd rather do it from my own home than from the side of an unfamiliar road.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:19 pm
Don't worry about them. I'm not. I think it's crazy but if they've chosen to turn around, return to TX and ride it out, more power to them. My heart goes out to the older sister who was smart enough to evacuate New Orleans and I'm sure, more than ready to leave Houston but was, more than likely, outvoted by her mother and sister. Oh well...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:37 pm
My greatest worry is the folks still in places like Galveston. No matter how they brag that it is evacuated, simple reasoning tells you that it's wrong. They relied on people in residences to reach the busses, which were not in abundant supply. Nobody went house to house, sweeping the city, that I am aware of. I would not guess how many are left, but the storm surge may cover the entire island. I wouldn't waste time worrying about edgarblythe, but would feel for those souls with nowhere to go.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:55 pm
Just watched an ABC news report that showed people going house-to-house in Galveston, trying to talk the last 10% into leaving. Some won't. One was elderly and bedridden, but said she'd trust God "'cause He's bigger than a hurricane." <shaking head> Another was also bedridden, a man who had lost both legs and had multiple health problems. He is dependent on medical equipment and refused to go. Another man was stocking supplies and water on the top floor of a church building that has survived several hurricanes. The church has helped storm victims through previous hurricanes. He's staying to help those who won't leave after the storm passes. There are all sorts of stories.

Very strange seeing places I know on the news...all boarded up. Even stranger to think they might not be there in another 24-36 hrs.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:11 pm
There will always be a few who will refuse to leave when their lives are in danger. We can only hope that they will be okay, but sadly if they live in Galveston, it's probably not likely.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:30 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I say, if we all stand on our porches and blow REALLY HARD... we can possibly blow this thing in another direction..

come on..
wadda'ya say huh?

I've been sneezing all day is that helping?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:32 pm
looked at the oilrig map - I was unaware there were that many rigs
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:34 pm
http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/data/radar/temp_image/WSO_CAPPI_2005_09_22_23_20.GIF

no hurricane here, but much rain
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:52 pm
Djjd, it just came through here about an hour ago...lots and lots of rain.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:08 pm
husker wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
I say, if we all stand on our porches and blow REALLY HARD... we can possibly blow this thing in another direction..

come on..
wadda'ya say huh?

I've been sneezing all day is that helping?

I think so.
the storm has changes course .. a little..

keep sneezing!
let it come out of every orifice ya got!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:14 pm
Eva wrote:
Just watched an ABC news report that showed people going house-to-house in Galveston, trying to talk the last 10% into leaving. Some won't. One was elderly and bedridden, but said she'd trust God "'cause He's bigger than a hurricane." <shaking head> Another was also bedridden, a man who had lost both legs and had multiple health problems. He is dependent on medical equipment and refused to go. Another man was stocking supplies and water on the top floor of a church building that has survived several hurricanes. The church has helped storm victims through previous hurricanes. He's staying to help those who won't leave after the storm passes. There are all sorts of stories.

Very strange seeing places I know on the news...all boarded up. Even stranger to think they might not be there in another 24-36 hrs.

I have a real problem with news stations reporting like that.
They only choose to show those that will touch someones sympathy strings. Not that , that is BAD , but there are people who can NOT leave due to finances. Or, families who have no tv/ radio and dont necessarily know TO evacuate. What about the younger people who feel they are invincible and just dont WANT to leave?
There are many other reasons people dont leave and I always find it bothersome to watch a news cast only show things that make you feel " good".
Im not saying it feels good to watch a woman bed ridden due to health problems and chooses not to leave due to her faith in god..
But it doesnt feel the SAME to watch a group of kids who just dont wanna leave. Or know about the families who cant leave. they have no transportation.. no way of getting information..

I dont know. I dont really have the words as to why stories like that bother me.. but they do. Not that it really matteres.. I mean, there will ALWAYS be people who can get out and dont, or who cant get out and are stuck..
I guess, I just wish the news castors and journalists would cover and show everything.

or.. im just rambling like usual.. ;-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:19 pm
I feel the same way, shewolf. There are lots of stories out there we will never know.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:23 pm
Shewolf, I've lived in Texas for the past 5 years and you never know which river will run into which creek to the extend that creek floods. Lake Travis is controlled from a dam system from Lake Buchanan. If the rain should originate there they'll have to open that dam and it could rush down those hills like crazy. Who knows what is possible with this hurricane, I sure don't. Rivers run through every town in the state, just about. I don't seem to be too worried about Austin but we did stock up on stuff, except drinking water - there were only two gallons left in HEB or Walmart. Gads!

Just heard that all the strong hurricans and storms lately are caused by global warming. Comforting news since so many don't believe there is global warming.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:24 pm
Best of luck to you Edgar and eveyone else in Rita's path.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 07:12 pm
Lat I heard they had downgraded Rita to a cat-4 again. If it's down to a cat-3 by the time it hits, might not be too bad.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 07:21 pm
I've heard that when the storm passes over some cooler water (if that happens) it will diminish the ferocity considerably.

And why all the fuss for bottled water at Walmart, Edgar? Why not just store water from the tap?

What am I missing?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 07:35 pm
Yeah. We used to fill the tub in Miami. Bottled water is way to expensive to flush with anyway.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Then Came Rita
  3. » Page 8
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 09:26:45