Then Came Rita

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 07:49 am
Pillows? Shocked
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 07:55 am
thats how i feel DD.
Paranoia isa great thing to play on in the wake of N.O.
I think it is overkill to tell people so far inland , to prepare for a WEEK?

i hope I dont end up eating these words but-
aside from rain and possible power outages, i believe austin will be fine.

soz-
yes... PILLOWS.
pillows between the window and plywood.
this person... is STILL working .. Confused
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:00 am
Stay safe, Lone Star State friends.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:12 am
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1805_PROB34_F120+gif/085837.gif
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:16 am
Shocked

that..... is a BIG storm..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:19 am
Yeah, I'm waiting for the later predictions.

Third-worst storm on record in the Atlantic basin.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:25 am
Wow ... we'll be feeling it's effects up this way next week. This is a big storm.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:26 am
unless it changes course

and slamms into NO
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:30 am
http://austin.craigslist.org/etc/99063303.html

hmmm..sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:30 am
Of all possible outcomes, that almost seems like the best one. Place is already empty (mostly) and decimated, could Rita really do that much more damage?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:31 am
Am I right in thinking that these Hurricanes are named alphabetically during the course of a year?

If so, this means there have been six hurricanes between Katrina, and this one! Never heard a word about those over here.

Is this frequency of occurance normal, or is it getting markedly worse, just a freak year, or what?

Worrying times, methinks.

Please don't take any unnecessary risks out there, all you Texaners, or whatever you are called.

Good luck.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:37 am
Has anyone heard from mac11?

She's in Houston - or, hopefully, on her way outta there.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:39 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Am I right in thinking that these Hurricanes are named alphabetically during the course of a year?

If so, this means there have been six hurricanes between Katrina, and this one! Never heard a word about those over here.

Lord E. These storms are given a name when they reach tropical storm status which I think is sustained winds more than 35 mph and less than 75 mph. The majority of these storm fade out over the Atlantic and no one hears of them. An exception is Tropical Storm Philippe which is currently mucking around in the mid Atlantic looking like it might make a run at southwest Britain so keep an eye open.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:40 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Is this frequency of occurance normal, or is it getting markedly worse, just a freak year, or what?

Worrying times, methinks.

Please don't take any unnecessary risks out there, all you Texaners, or whatever you are called.

Good luck.

Some "experts" are claiming this is the beginning of a 20-year upswing the frequency/severity of hurricanes. I have no way of knowing if that's media hype, an accurate prediction, or some kook who pulled the idea out of his butt.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
(35 knots, I think, about 39 mph.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:44 am
The science programming I listen to on the radio has been talking about this for at least two or three years - blames a lot of the predicted increase on the settlement of Florida - changes in the landscape / rivers / estuaries etc over the past 40 - 50 years.

It was a topic of interest when I took my degree in Environmental Science over 20 years ago.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:46 am
Yeah. Warmer water = stronger storms/ hurricanes.

It's not that the number of storms has changed per se, but that they get much stronger.

By the way, I went looking for this after I saw DrewDad's map, will post here if others are curious, too. (And yes, worried about mac...)

http://www.sitesatlas.com/Maps/Maps/usatx1.gif
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:47 am
sozobe wrote:
Of all possible outcomes, that almost seems like the best one. Place is already empty (mostly) and decimated, could Rita really do that much more damage?

i agree.
N.O would be the safest for it to hit right now , for the safety of people.
N.O is almost completely empty.

at this point, if it hit NO, all it would do is level already destroyed buildings.
it would possibly flaten and destroy the arleady damaged levies.
THAT maymake it easier to rebuild the city as well..?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:48 am
if i remember correctly, austin floods like crazy because there is no where for the water to go. please, DD, Cy, Shewolf, Edgar, Mac11 (any other a2kers in the area), be careful. I have been through my fair share of hurricanes out here on the east coast, but i also remember what Alison (maybe?) did to Houston about 5 or 6 years back. and she was a tropical storm. maybe it was charley. can't remember exactly, but houston flooded much like NO did (not quite as bad though). one lady even drowned in an elevator as the water filled it (ugh that had to be horrible).

my inlaws are in austin and much of hubby's family is in houston, dallas, SA-and they are stocking up preparing for mainly power outages. please don't underestimate this thing-it is a cat 5. be ready to go days without power and deal with flooding. i am thinking of you. best wishes to all of you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:57 am
dragon49 wrote:
if i remember correctly, austin floods like crazy because there is no where for the water to go. please, DD, Cy, Shewolf, Edgar, Mac11 (any other a2kers in the area), be careful. I have been through my fair share of hurricanes out here on the east coast, but i also remember what Alison (maybe?) did to Houston about 5 or 6 years back. and she was a tropical storm. maybe it was charley. can't remember exactly, but houston flooded much like NO did (not quite as bad though). one lady even drowned in an elevator as the water filled it (ugh that had to be horrible).

my inlaws are in austin and much of hubby's family is in houston, dallas, SA-and they are stocking up preparing for mainly power outages. please don't underestimate this thing-it is a cat 5. be ready to go days without power and deal with flooding. i am thinking of you. best wishes to all of you.

Low-laying (lying?) areas are prone to flash flooding, but the water drains off into the Colorado river system. Homes below the high-water level on Lake Travis may flood, but the system of dams does a pretty good job of preventing major floods.

The Shoal Creek area was modified after the floods in the early 80s.

I really don't think one needs to worry about flooding unless one is next to a creek.

(Now Lubbock, which is completely flat, has trouble any time it rains. Major streets are flooded since the water takes forever to drain off.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Then Came Rita
  3. » Page 5
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 03:26:30