Then Came Rita

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:13 am
Good morning, Edgar. I'm pleased to see you still here. I'm sure it's been an anxious time for you and family.

When will it be safe to return to your other home?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:13 am
"Goo-Gone" Works like a charm.

Glad to hear everyone's OK.

Edgar, there is no arguing with a pregnant woman.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:16 am
Good news, mac..

I once tried mayonaise on bathtub stickies residue, and that worked, mostly.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:23 am
lighter fluid works nicely, as does dry cleaning fluid (can't remember the chemical name, but you should be able to find it at your local drug store)

glad everyone is safe and sound
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:27 am
I'm back home now. The only thing I could call damaged, one of my banana trees blew down. The water in the bathtub all seeped out, but we have water service (live next door to the water company well).
The TV shows the freeways already filling up with returning cars.
Thursday, my truck refused to start. I cleaned up the cables and jump started it. It wouldn't start a second time and I bought a new battery. After driving it three or four times, it again failed to start. Now I got to find out if it's the cables or something more serious.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:18 am
BBB
Texas officials are begging people on CNN not to try to return to their homes until at least Sunday or Monday. The freeways are clogged and emergency vehicles can't get through to where they are needed. No gas is available and cars on the road still are endangered by flooding.

In other words, stay where you are until officials say it is OK to return.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:23 am
They are working to announce a plan to stagger the return, but I don't see it working. there are no open stores, no water, ice, gas, food. One other reason to wait is to keep the roads open for the electric repair crews and the like to get their work done.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 01:35 pm
Edgar--

I'm glad you're high and dry. This gives you time and space to worry about your daughter. If the new grandchild is as onery as she is, this could well be the weekend of birth.

Children!

Mac--

Glad you survived and accumulated a few vivid memories.

Have you tried scraping with a razor blade?

Hold your dominions.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 01:43 pm
Edger, glad your safe and dry.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 01:47 pm
Mac-try paint or rubber cement thinner. Something with acetate in it.

Haven't spoken with my folk in Houston or Baton Rouge today but feel certain that all is well.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:06 pm
I'm glad to hear that everyone we have heard from so far is okay. I heard on NPR this afternoon the story of one lady who made it as far as Lufkin...in 15 hours. There was supposedly a plan for staggering evacuations, but the public ignored it. Getting back will also probably be chaotic. I hope your daughter, edgar, can be dissuaded from trying it.

One has to wonder who came up the notion of mayonaise. "Gee, I have bathtub scum. I think I'll lather up the whole thing with mayonaise." But it does eveidentally have vinegar and lemon juice in it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:10 pm
I saw that mentioned on some thread on a2k, rjb, a couple of years ago - it worked to help me get off very old non-slip "pads" on my porcelain surfaced bathtub.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:18 pm
First, I want to thank you kind people for being concerned for the people in this part of the country. Second, my daughter is more hard headed than I, and so is her husband. They left for home at about 10:30 this morning. How far they have got is anybody's guess. If they don't have to stop and idle too many times, they have sufficient gas to get here.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:46 pm
I googled removing masking tape:

WD-40.

Rubbing alcohol.

Duck tape adhesive remover

White vinegar

Spray with PAM and let soak. Then scrape off.

Carbona dry cleaning fluid.

Good luck, mac.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 03:14 pm
good news from the lone star state.
glad to hear Rita has better manners than her evil older sister Katrina...
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 03:27 pm
Mac,

If you are trying to get tape/residue off glass, best first step is a razor blade. Like the kind you use in a box cutter. Anything left after that should be fairly easy.

Glad everyone is safe and well.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:00 pm
A great exchange of lines from an interview this pm on NPR (between the host and an official of Port Fourchon (spelling) LA.) He and his brother have a farm there and there has been some flooding on their property. What do you raise, she asked? Alligators, he replied, 16,000 alligators.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:58 pm
Edgar
edgarblythe wrote:
First, I want to thank you kind people for being concerned for the people in this part of the country. Second, my daughter is more hard headed than I, and so is her husband. They left for home at about 10:30 this morning. How far they have got is anybody's guess. If they don't have to stop and idle too many times, they have sufficient gas to get here.

Won't your daughter be surprised to learn that she has such a large extended family on A2K because her dad is like family to all of us.

What we do best is give advice. What we do worst is follow it. :wink:

BBB
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:04 pm
Re: Edgar
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Won't your daughter be surprised to learn that she has such a large extended family on A2K because her dad is like family to all of us.

What we do best is give advice. What we do worst is follow it. :wink:

BBB

I'm not even much good at giving it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:17 pm
They will be pleased to know the whole story, once I get with them. Still waiting. They have told me they don't like to use the cell phone when they are moving, so I've refrained from calling. In a few hours I will break the rule, if they dan't call first. It is my guess they will slip into their home and go to bed, exhausted, making us wait to hear anything.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Then Came Rita
  3. » Page 15
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 07:26:59