Then Came Rita

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:14 pm
on reflection you're right, husker to is not to be ignored or denegrated......well maybe a bit of denegrating now and then
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:18 pm
Husker will crush us like a couple of bugs if he found out we were making light of him.

The man is massive and capable of inflicting serious damage on anyone.

Let us pray he doesn't discover us.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:20 pm
maybe kari krolick will protect us
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:24 pm
Kari Krolick is powerful, yes. But a match for Husker?

Stay tuned.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:50 pm
I well remember ehBeth's post.

I looked up the history of wind here in Eureka: apparently 56 is the high mph. And in Los Angeles, I think it was 62.
Well, blowsy.

Tieing stuff down seems smart, but I'm not from there, no advice from moi, only take care and love, not to get mushy, much.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:22 pm
mac11 wrote:
I taped the windows yesterday. You gonna come and help me scrape off the masking tape residue on Sunday? Very Happy It should be nice and baked on by then.

you don't gotta ask twice!
i'll even bring my own scraper.
all i ask in return is a famous cookie or 3...
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:46 pm
I hope it goes well for you Edgar.

Be safe.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:49 pm
I must take care as to not get suspended - so we need to step out to the playground after a2k school - understand!!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 06:53 am
this is the day that we (austin) were supposed to see action from the storm.

it is a nice calm cool morning...austin is fine.
now time to wait for reports from the people in the south...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:33 am
Checked in to read all 27 pages. I heard on the teevee that 675,000 peeps are without power but the storm had done less damage than expected to Texas. New Orleans got flooded again.

Glad you're okay, shewolf. "Hi Mom!"? Too sweet. Is she still saying it?

I hope everyone is okay and the window tape is easy to scrape off and the loss of power is quickly remedied.

The list (on about page 6) from DrewDad about the things to store... that's standard stuff in the PNW where we chill with earthquakes and rain/wind storms knocking out power.

www.pep-c.org/homepage/

That's our local emergency preparedness website. The information has been honed over the last ten or so years by a committee representing fire fighters, police, school officials, and various community members and is full of very good stuff no matter where you live.

My favorite tip: store at least some of your water as ice. If you are like me, you have a big freezer that isn't all that full. Fill up the bottom with containers of water and you can use the ice to keep food chilled, drink the water as it melts and it stays fresh, unlike stored tap water which needs to be refreshed every six months.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:17 am
Edgar Blythe's daughter
I've been in touch with Edgar Blythe, Eva and Dys and Diane about finding a way to aid Edgar's daughter and her family. She is about to give birth. They made it to Oklahoma and got a hotel room. They are probably better off staying in Oklahoma. But if they can make it to Albuquerque, they have two homes to stay in here.

I've often wondered what arrangements are made by disaster planners for women about to go into labor during a crisis.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:17 am
Checking in.
We stayed in the apartment all night. The only sigificant damage we've see is a tree down in the old bee keeper's yard, and several sections of fence down around the apartments. Lost electric about three.
I drove home this morning and found we still have electric and saw no damage to the neighborhood. We feel dafe and very lucky, just having our first cup of coffee.
Hope other Houstonians are faring as well.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:19 am
Great to hear edgar.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:19 am
Edgar
edgarblythe wrote:
Checking in.
We stayed in the apartment all night. The only sigificant damage we've see is a tree down in the old bee keeper's yard, and several sections of fence down around the apartments. Lost electric about three.
I drove home this morning and found we still have electric and saw no damage to the neighborhood. We feel dafe and very lucky, just having our first cup of coffee.

Such good news Edgar. Have you heard from your daughter and how she is doing? I just heard from Diane that their home is open to them as well as mine.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:23 am
My wife is talking to one of the kids right now. Will be back shortly.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:28 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Checking in.

Excellent news, Edgar, 'specially the dafe part. Wink You have coined a new a2k word, I think.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:33 am
dafe is as dafe does.
My daughter is anxious enough to get back they are thinking of leaving immediately. We have cautioned them there is no gas along the way and none in Houston. If everybody else takes off right now, it will be the crush in reverse. There's no guarantee their home will have electric.
They said they have a full tank and the car did very well, and, in short, nothing seems to disuade them.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:38 am
Edgar
edgarblythe wrote:
dafe is as dafe does.
My daughter is anxious enough to get back they are thinking of leaving immediately. We have cautioned them there is no gas along the way and none in Houston. If everybody else takes off right now, it will be the crush in reverse. There's no guarantee their home will have electric.
They said they have a full tank and the car did very well, and, in short, nothing seems to disuade them.

Edgar, if your daughter is determined to return home, I urge them to check the locations of hospitals along the way---just in case.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:58 am
We have given them every caution known to man. It's out of our hands. They did say they could top off the tank in Dallas; they called ahead. My greatest worry is the numbers of people who will be just as anxious and leave at the same time.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:11 am
I'm fine. (Dafe too.) It was a scary and mostly sleepless night. My power went off and on about 10 times, each time with a loud hollow boom, and usually came back within a few minutes. Lost cable after midnite. The wind was amazingly loud and the fifty foot trees out front were waving like stems of grass. I was nervous about them, but never actually retreated to my closet/bunker - only to the other end of my apartment.

I've had three reports from friends and family who've been driving around that my car survived. I'll walk over and get it if the rain lets up.
Region Philbis wrote:
mac11 wrote:
I taped the windows yesterday. You gonna come and help me scrape off the masking tape residue on Sunday? Very Happy It should be nice and baked on by then.

you don't gotta ask twice!
i'll even bring my own scraper.
all i ask in return is a famous cookie or 3...

Yep, my biggest problem this morning is tape residue. Tried Windex and then vinegar with no luck. Nail polish remover worked, but I'd need a gallon of it. My sister suggested oil (olive, vegetable, or baby) and it works but not as well - and again, I'd need a gallon. Apparently what I need is something called Goo Be Gone. I wonder whether retail stores will re-open today or tomorrow?

So bring that scraper over, RP. I'll get started on the cookies. Very Happy

Edgar, I'm glad you're ok. Please keep us posted about your daughter.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Then Came Rita
  3. » Page 14
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 09:24:23