is religion possible...

brahmin

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:41 pm
..without the concept of god ??

can we not have religious wisdom, religious code of conducts, religious beliefs about life and death etc.... without dragging God into the picture...??

afterall thats the least provable part of it - death we all know is very much real, as is some wisdom often handy and a moral code of conduct is not bad either....only god we have little evidence about (except "belief" / "faith")

so, isnt it possible to seperate god from religion??

is there no scope for a religion sans the concept of god ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 964 • Replies: 19
No top replies

real life

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
Nearly all religions carry on without God.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:46 pm
yes... but which religion does not have its own version of what god is about, how he/she should be worshipped, real gods and fake gods etc etc ...

is it just not possible to have all the rest of the things religion is about, without involving the one concept we are least certain about ??
0 Replies

Prince El

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:46 am
i will answer your question after a little pondering.
but brah, i got another question: all that is written in Mahabharata and Ramayana is it true? did it happen in real? my mom says yes. i find it difficult to digest that.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:21 pm
brahmin wrote:
yes... but which religion does not have its own version of what god is about, how he/she should be worshipped, real gods and fake gods etc etc ...

is it just not possible to have all the rest of the things religion is about, without involving the one concept we are least certain about ??

In essence I would assume it were possible. Religion is essentially a set of beliefs, principles, or activities pursued with conscientious devotion. However, the nature of death is such an unknown that one can't extrapulate anything resembling a positive outcome of death without dragging the supernatural into it.

Life is a bit easier, as we can comprehend that which Science and our eyes tell us is present.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:22 pm
Prince El wrote:
i will answer your question after a little pondering.
but brah, i got another question: all that is written in Mahabharata and Ramayana is it true? did it happen in real? my mom says yes. i find it difficult to digest that.

brah who?

dont screw up my moniker.

and yes the battles of mahabharat and raamayan are true. the epics are not all true, being as they are stories woven around an actual occurance.
0 Replies

Prince El

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:11 am
brahmin, i wish to know if those supernatural events about mahabharata are true?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:16 am
Ethical Culture? http://www.aeu.org/
0 Replies

Why me

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 05:57 pm
How can religion take place without God? Itsnt the center piece of religion of Himself? How could you even call it religion without God?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:22 pm
Hi Why;
Welcome to the forum. Define religion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:37 am
Brahmin, if I may, I'd like to borrow this quote for a second.

You wrote:

"and yes the battles of mahabharat and raamayan are true. the epics are not all true, being as they are stories woven around an actual occurance"

Now, I have no idea whatsoever who these people are but, I have heard others describe the Bible in the same way. Yet, you would accept this (and if not you personally), others would not accept the Bible? I am very curious about this. Can you help me out here?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:37 am
whats that question doing here lol ??

anyway, what i meant was that the people are real, the story ws woven, to drive home just how special the heroes of the story were. ok?

you alluded to the bible so i'll say what i read about "parables" in GBS's "joan of arc" - there one character said (more or less) that - parables are not fake just cos they are ficticious. ok ? parables are ficticious stories told to drive home a piece of truth. the parable itself may be untrue, its wisdom is not.

similarly here. the characters indeed existed. the author wove the epics about real people and real events in history.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:07 am
brahmin wrote:
whats that question doing here lol ??

anyway, what i meant was that the people are real, the story ws woven, to drive home just how special the heroes of the story were. ok?

you alluded to the bible so i'll say what i read about "parables" in GBS's "joan of arc" - there one character said (more or less) that - parables are not fake just cos they are ficticious. ok ? parables are ficticious stories told to drive home a piece of truth. the parable itself may be untrue, its wisdom is not.

similarly here. the characters indeed existed. the author wove the epics about real people and real events in history.

brahmin,

Thank you. You made my point! The characters of the Bible indeed existed too. I love the way you described parables! That is exactly why Jesus used them! You, my friend, are very insightful.

By the way, can I use that statement you made about parables? I am often asked about them and that explanation is soooooooooooo on point!
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:14 am
well its not mine.
use it all you want but its george bernard shaw's.

the same guy who once said, "if the pope knows anythig about sex, then he shouldn't" and "there's only one game more boring than cricket - football"
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:16 am
brahmin wrote:
well its not mine.
use it all you want but its george bernard shaw's.

the same guy who once said, "if the pope knows anythig about sex, then he shouldn't" and "there's only one game more boring than cricket - football"

Brahmin,

LOL! Thanx I needed that laugh. My roof is being torn off shingle by shingle right now and all the beautiful trees in my yard are being stripped of their bark and branches and leaves.

The cats and I are just sitting here hoping the power doesn't go out. Mother nature is one awesome thing!
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:20 am
well if you right now be in lousiana, watching Rita - THEN YOU SHOULDNT.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:25 am
brahmin,

Would you believe it? I am in Northern Louisiana! I am only like two hours from the Arkansas line. Hurricanes I think you can probably outrun but tornadoes are a different story. We have many here right now. None have touched down here in my part but have in southern Louisiana.

No windows or anything broken. It's funny (ironic). Trees and branches are being deposited at my front door and none have hit the house.

Uh oh, tornado in East Carroll Parish, 60 miles from here. We have pretty good shelter where I am.

Sorry to change the subject of the thread. This is my contact with the outside right now.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:00 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Trees and branches are being deposited at my front door and none have hit the house.

thats a lot of "proof" indeed Wink
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:08 pm
brahmin wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Trees and branches are being deposited at my front door and none have hit the house.

thats a lot of "proof" indeed Wink

LOL. Wasn't offering that as proof; thus, the (ironic).
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 04:26 am
Hmmmmm…Intriguing question!
Is Religion possible without the concept of God?
Sure, why not?

But…
During the period of Mughal Empire, Akbar the Great materialized a new religion ' Ain-e-Akbari'. As you must be knowing, the principles of the religion had been framed by taking in the positives of all the religions present at that time of history and more importantly, the religion did not pioneer any God - worship. A few of the emperor's follower's took up the religion but with Akbar's death the religion disappeared too.

A principal reason why the religion failed to influence the commoners was that it had no God. Here, we must keep in mind that Akbar did his best to spread the religion around.

Apart from this example, I personally do not have any conflicts with the idea of religion without God. However, I reckon that it is easier to identify with the principles outlined in a religion when you have someone to relate to. Obviously, that "someone" has to be God.

Let me provide an analogy. You are down with trouble, depressed and broken. Even at this time, you are familiar with the action steps you must take to get out of hot waters but you remain drowned under vexation resistant to do anything for the betterment. But, if you find a mentor who guides you through the imbroglio, you experience your exuberance returning. Your courage is on your side again.

I guess the same is the case with God and religion. God, referred to as Infinite Intelligence, is that mentor who helps us inculcate the religious principles and acts as a teacher.

And well, sometimes when something "exists" its difficult to eliminate it from minds.
A recent research, sorry I can't recall which one, has shown that prayers work. I say, if prayers work, then there has to be someone who makes them work. A generalized opinion hence, not personal mind you, is that there is an existent Infinite Intelligence. So, may be its possible to have religion without God but tough to impress it upon people.

Ha, up there he's watching…watching even this thread!!
0 Replies