Federal Reserve boosts rate for 11th straight time

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:06 pm
AP
Fed Boosts Key Rate a Quarter-Point
Tuesday September 20, 2:33 pm ET
By Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer
Fed Boosts Key Rate a Quarter-Point, Signals More Rate Hikes Likely Despite Hurricane Katrina

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Reserve on Tuesday boosted a key interest rate for the 11th straight time and signaled that more rate hikes were likely even as the country recovers from the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina.

The action pushed the Fed's target for the federal funds rate -- the interest that banks charge each other-- to 3.75 percent. That's the highest level since the summer of 2001.

Some economists had believed that Katrina, the country's costliest natural disaster, might prompt the Fed to pause temporarily in its campaign to drive interest rates higher to keep inflation in check. But Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan and his colleagues said that Katrina's impact on the overall economy was likely to be short-lived.

In a brief statement explaining the action, the Fed said that all the problems from Katrina "will be a setback in the near term" for the economy. But the Fed said it did not believe that Katrina would pose a "more persistent threat" and therefore believed it needed to continue raising interest rates to guard against inflation.

However, the central bank's decision was not universally supported. Fed Governor Mark Olson cast a lone dissenting vote, with the Fed explaining that he preferred to leave rates unchanged at Tuesday's meeting.

The Fed's rate hike is likely to spur commercial banks around the country to increase their prime rate by a quarter-point. That would push the prime, the benchmark for millions of consumer and business loans, to 6.75 percent, its highest point in more than four years.

The federal funds rate stood at a 46-year low of 1 percent when the Fed began raising interest rates in June 2003. Since that time, it has boosted rates at all of its regularly scheduled meetings.

The central bank signaled in its statement that more rate hikes could be expected by retaining language it has used in the past to describe the current level of interest rates as "accommodative."

Fed policy-makers also kept language stating that they believed rates could be raised "at a pace that is likely to be measured." That language is viewed as signaling further gradual quarter-point rate hikes.

The Fed, while deciding not to take a pause in its rate hikes because of Katrina, spent a good deal of its statement discussing the hurricane's likely impact.

"The widespread devastation in the Gulf region, the associated dislocation of economic activity and the boost to energy prices imply that spending, production and employment will be set back in the near term," it said.

But Fed policy-makers concluded, "While these unfortunate developments have increased uncertainty about near-term economic performance, it is the committee's view that they do not pause a more persistent threat."

The Fed's goal is to push the funds rate up to a level where it is neither stimulating economic activity nor slowing it down. Many economists believe that level lies somewhere between 4 percent and 4.5 percent.

The Fed had pushed the funds rate down to 1 percent as it battled to overcome the negative impacts of the bursting of the stock market bubble in 2000, the 2001 recession and the terrorist attacks that same year. However, with the economy now growing at a solid rate, the desire is to make sure that interest rates do not stimulate economic activity to such an extent that unwanted inflation pressures are triggered.

If the Fed keeps raising rates at its last two meetings of this year, in November and December, and at its Jan. 31 meeting, the funds rate would stand at 4.5 percent.

Many analysts believe that Greenspan wants to have completed the credit tightening needed to get to a neutral rate before he leaves office at the end of January.

The Fed earlier this month rescheduled its January meeting so that it would end on Jan. 31, the day Greenspan's term as a Fed board member ends. So far the administration has given no signal about a possible successor to Greenspan, who completed 18 years as Fed chairman in August.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 850 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
bmh, It's now reaching the rate where it's better to invest a greater portion of one's portfolio in bonds, because the risk/benefit ratio is too slim. The federal and consumer deficits doesn't bode well for stocks, especially with the higher cost of energy that acts like an increase of our tax base that hurts the middle class and poor who do most of the consumption of goods and services - atleast for the news 2 to 3 years.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:10 pm
CI-i have to wonder about many corporate bonds these days as they are only yielding maybe 50 basis points above treasuries. what is your thought on that? considering treasuries are "riskless" except for reinvestment risk, and corporate bonds have not only reinvestment risk, but business risk and default built in, are they really worth it at only 50 basis points over treasuries?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:14 pm
I'm throwing all my investment capital into cocaine.... just do me a favor and don't tell anyone, especially here on A2K...people talk, ya know?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:20 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I'm throwing all my investment capital into cocaine.... just do me a favor and don't tell anyone, especially here on A2K...people talk, ya know?

BVT, that made me

-----SNORT------
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:23 pm
dragon, Not all corporate bonds are created equal, but nor are treasury funds. What is most important when investing in bonds is to make sure that the fees are the lowest you can find such as with Vangurd Funds. I've been tracking bond funds for a long time, and find that they are a good balance to our equities, because when stock funds are down, the bond funds invariably are up - and visa-versa. Even the bond fund experts are not always right on bond fund returns. One very popular bond fund manager sold out most of his bond funds last year when bond funds actually increased. Looking at our investment portfolio, we find our net-net showing increases even though the stock market indices are down. Bonds have been our savior for many years.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:39 pm
oh i misread, you are talking about funds, not bonds individually. you are definitely right not all bonds nor funds are created equal.

my thought was why take the extra risk and invest in individual corporate bonds (which even some of the riskiest investment grade are only yielding 4.25%-junk bond obviously gets higher than that) when you can get a treasury bond of the same duration yielding 3.75% and in some cases more.

however, you are speaking of bond funds. my mistake Smile however you are so right, there is time to be in bonds and a time to be in equities. sounds like you are diversified into both. always depends on what you are trying to accomplish Smile
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:41 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

i promise not to tell if you keep quiet about that marijuana field i invested in...gonna sell it to big pharma soon...shhhh.
0 Replies