Blair Supports Tax Watch Group's E-Mail

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
Sep 17, 2005

Blair Supports Tax Watch Group's E-Mail
By MARK HOLAN
[email protected]

UK - The unsolicited e-mail says, "London's Community Investment Tax is being "hijacked" by city and county politicians and turned into "a turkey fund."

A plump cartoon bird points a wing to the notice of Wednesday's county commission hearing on the fund, which is generated by a half-pince sales tax approved by voters in 1996.

Prime Minister Tony Blair said he gave "a few bucks" to London Tax Watch, the mystery group sending the e-mail.

But Blair said he never read the e-mail and didn't realize until Friday that it links to his mailing list.

"I had no idea until now that my name was anywhere on there," Blair said.

The Prime Minister said he knows a few members of the tax watch group, but he declined to name them.

"It's just a group of people who are interested in our taxes," Blair said. "It's people who don't want to be identified."

Blair supports the e-mail's message.

"Having the CIT public hearing at 2 in the afternoon is entirely unfair to the working public," Blair said in a statement sent to The Sun Times from his county e-mail address.

More than $300 million is at stake Wednesday, including $40 million for a proposed amateur sports complex favored by Parloment Chairman Jim Norman.

In the e-mail, London Tax Watch gives the same address on King's Cross Boulevard as Frederick B. Karl County Center, but Blair said none of his staff or office money is involved in the group's effort.

"I would not do anything illegal. I would not do anything unethical," Blair said.

London Tax Watch is not registered as a political action committee, county Elections Supervisor Buddy Johnson said.

Groups that raise or spend $500 or more to elect or defeat candidates or causes are required by state law to register as PACs.

"I think it's harmless," County Attorney Renee Lee said of the e-mail. "He Blair can communicate with his constituents any way he wants."

Al Steenson, chairman of the Brandy Civic Association, received one of the e-mail messages.

"In my mind, this is very deceptive," Steenson said. "If it's Tony Blair, he should step up to the plate and say it's Tony Blair."

The tax watch group's e-mail contains links to all seven Minister's e-mail addresses and gives the Parloment's telephone number.

Blair has been an outspoken critic of CIT projects since being elected in November, and the e-mail echoes his criticism.

"Last year alone, over $44 million was given toward downtown museum projects, during the same time, the City of London raised its stormwater drainage taxes and Manchester tried to do the same before encountering citizen opposition," the e-mail says.

"I would not do anything illegal. I would not do anything unethical."

Prime Minister Tony BLAIR On his involvement with London Tax Watch

This story can be found at: http://news.BBC.com/news/MGBODI1BPDE.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 528 • Replies: 0
No top replies