Post-war Iraq

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 08:03 pm
Walter, The more interesting aspect of this freedom for the Iraqi's is that they want the coalition forces to leave. It's sort of funny to see the liberated Iraqi's telling the US and UK to leave Iraq. c.i.
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 09:21 am
c.i.'s got a very very good point. For those that support(ed) the war: does it not give you a moment's hesitation that the populations of the countries of the world were against the war, that the governments of most were, that the UN has always been, and that the Iraqi citizens themselves don't want the coalition there?
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 10:59 am
Just want to draw people's attentions to the poll here as well. Looks like the large majority (which may include the pro-war side?) is in favour of giving Iraq the power to choose it's own government.

Also interesting to those who would have you believe that the anti-war side supports Saddam, is that not a single person voted to keep Saddam's council.

Daf
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 11:05 am
wrong thread, sorry folks
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 11:23 am
Giving self-governing rights to Iraqis now is even worse than keeping Saddam at power. This means doing all this military work for Iran's sake. It will take not more than a month to establish the terrorist Shiite Islamic Republic. Transitional government is essential, and the U.S. military bases in Iraq that will secure the future secular government are of vital importance. I believe that Mr. Bush also realizes this.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:07 pm
steissd, It's fine that Bush realizes the necessity for a secular government in Iraq, but what ever happened to the promises made to Afghanistan and Pakistan? c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:17 pm
Afghanistan has lower geostrategic value than Iraq (not only because it has no oil, but for several other reasons that are beyond the topic discussed). Pakistan may be kept under control without applying any direct military pressure: it has long-term conflict with India, so good relationships with the USA are crucial for survival of this nation.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:17 pm
From The New York Post:

"FOUR sticky-fingered GIs have been arrested for trying to steal nearly $1 million of the $700 million in cold cash found hidden on the grounds of several estates in Baghdad, Army officials said yesterday.

The four enlisted men, who all belong to the 4th Battalion of the 64th Armored Division, face court-martials, said Maj. Kent Rideout.

The mountain of loot uncovered by U.S. forces on Friday apparently was left behind by top Ba'ath Party members and senior Republican Guard commanders who fled Baghdad.

It has been taken to the U.S.-controlled Baghdad Airport for safekeeping and will be returned to the Iraqi people, officials have said. "
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 01:44 pm
I dunno, Fbaezer, perhaps the four sticky-fingered GI's have a somewhat better case for taking it than those "safekeeper" officials at US controlled Baghdad Airport! Who do you suppose will really wind up with the goods?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 02:06 pm
It belongs to the Iraqi people, but who and how it's used is a whole new ball of wax. c.i.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 06:35 pm
http://workingforchange.speedera.net/www.workingforchange.com/webgraphics/wfc/TMW04-23-03.gif
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 06:52 pm
PDid, Very good! The Iraqi people gets more freedoms, while ours continue to shrink for fear of terrorism/terrorists. Smile c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 07:54 pm
That's terrific, PDiddie! Dead on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 08:18 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing

No, wait...

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 08:49 pm
Not bad.
0 Replies

dafdaf

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 07:12 am
Perhaps Iraq and Afghanistan were test centers? To find out how to run social services and elections before applying it back home?

*hides*
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 11:29 am
Even that seems to have failed. Both Afghanistan and Iraq are doomed to failure, because the people who planned the wars are not skilled at post war resolutions. I think a 12 year old kid can win the wars with what the US and UK has in military armament. The problems stem from the politicoes having very little knowledge about how to handle the post war choas. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:38 pm
Quote:
Our Man in Iraq: Hero or Crook?
by Joe Conason

0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:58 pm
Bolds are mine.
Saturday April 19, 4:54 AM

Chalabi says no role for him or U.N. in Iraq govt
By Edmund Blair

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Pro-American Iraqi politician Ahmad Chalabi said on Friday the United States should oversee post-war Iraq and the United Nations lacked the capability and credibility to take a leadership role there.

At a news conference in the Iraqi Hunting Club -- his first since arriving in Baghdad on Wednesday -- Chalabi also said he did not want a post in an interim Iraqi government and would devote himself to developing civil society.
But the man seen by many analysts as the U.S. choice to lead Iraq left open the question of whether he would stand as a candidate if the country held democratic elections.

"I do not think that the United Nations is either capable or has the credibility in Iraq to play a major role," he told an audience of mainly Western reporters on his first visit to Baghdad since the overthrow of the monarchy in 1958.

"And the moral imperative is on the side of the United States, and the Iraqi people will accept a leadership role for the United States in this process," he said. "The United States does not want to run Iraq."

RETURN FROM EXILE

Chalabi, leader of the Iraqi National Congress (INC), was the first major exile politician to reach Baghdad since the collapse of the government of Saddam Hussein.

The U.S. military flew him -- along with 700 of the Free Iraqi Forces who back the INC -- to the southern city of Nassariya 11 days ago, *giving him a head start over other exile politicians. (Slant, not fact.)

On Friday, U.S. troops and Free Iraqi Forces guarded the building where Chalabi's news conference was held in the shadow of a construction site for a massive new mosque. (Is this all they're guarding?)

But Chalabi insisted he was just an ordinary person exercising his right to freedom of expression.

"I am not a candidate for any position in the interim government," he said. "I am a citizen of Iraq and I am home and I am expressing my views as a citizen of Iraq."

His longer term plans are less clear.

Asked if Chalabi would stand in an Iraqi election, his aide Zaab Sethna said "when that bridge comes he will cross it".

An INC official, Mohammed Mohsen Zubaidi, said on Thursday he had been chosen to head an interim council to run Baghdad. Zubaidi did not say who elected him or when, and most Iraqis interviewed by Reuters said they knew nothing about the polling.

Zubaidi said in an interview with al-Jazeera television on Friday his council was working independently of U.S. forces.

"The truth is that I, we, do not have any relationship with American forces. They were surprised that the people elected the executive council and asked for cooperation and an understanding over running the affairs in the city.

"There was a meeting this evening in which we studied a mechanism to maintain security and how to proceed with work. We are working independently and without any supervision or guidance or instructions from American forces," he said.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 06:20 am
Chalabi...did you notice, as he was talking above, that Daniel Perle was drinking a glass of water.
0 Replies