Colossal Squid vs Giant Squid

zingaro

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 05:00 pm
giant squid
Is there anyone that can help me? I am looking for someone who would be willing to sell a piece of the giant squid. I can be contacted at [email protected]. Thanks!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:04 pm
Hheeehee, e-bethie! It does?
I like Lazari's limericks.

Zingaro wants some squid.
Is anybody else curious why?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 12:45 am
Re: giant squid
zingaro wrote:
Is there anyone that can help me? I am looking for someone who would be willing to sell a piece of the giant squid. I can be contacted at [email protected]. Thanks!

Well, Angela, you read the article that little k posted. I would think the fellow you need to contact would be:
New Zealand squid expert and senior research fellow at Auckland University of Technology, Dr Steve O'Shea

I'd get hold of Auckland University and go from there.

The article said he does his work for The Discovery Channel, so if you have some contacts there, it might be worth a shot.

There might be some professional courtesy if you are some kind of researcher instead of a collector. Who knows, maybe they save some parts of the squid for research by others. Just out of curiosity, what do you want a piece of the squid for?

If you are a collector, I suspect that you might have to pay a lot. Collectors bid so high on just about anything. Somebody paid several thousand dollars for the piece of Evander Holyfield's ear that Mike Tyson bit off during their heavyweight championship fight some years back.

If you are a researcher, do you know any colleagues in Australia or New Zealand? Maybe somebody knows somebody, etc.

Anyway, good luck. Very Happy
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 12:53 am
By the way, why do we have a poll with this question about whether a Colossal Squid is the same as a Giant Squid?

Either it is or it isn't. I would think our opinions mean nothing on the subject. And I don't think anyone on this board is exactly in any position to actually know the answer.

Public opinion polls are useful for some things, but in scientific questions, I don't think they are really appropriate. I mean, Copernicus figured out that the Earth went around the sun-he didn't go around the countryside with a clipboard getting people's opinion on it. :wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 06:36 am
Lucky for him or the Catholic church would have imprisoned him for heresy.

I thought it was Galileo- who the Catholic church DID imprison for heresy for suggesting it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 09:41 am
kelticwizard wrote:
By the way, why do we have a poll with this question about whether a Colossal Squid is the same as a Giant Squid?

Either it is or it isn't. I would think our opinions mean nothing on the subject. And I don't think anyone on this board is exactly in any position to actually know the answer.

Public opinion polls are useful for some things, but in scientific questions, I don't think they are really appropriate. I mean, Copernicus figured out that the Earth went around the sun-he didn't go around the countryside with a clipboard getting people's opinion on it. :wink:

Well, Keltic Wizard, since I started this topic, I will answer your question. The reason I put a poll up is that though I'm an amateur naturalist and most interested in marine life, I had never heard of the Colossal Squid. I wondered if anyone else had. The poll was never intended to make any difference to science, it was intended to make you think and be aware that there were two kinds of gigantic squid. Either you have heard of it and know something about it, or you haven't. Most everyone hadn't.

It is interesting to me each time a "new" creature turns up. Also, since the Colossal seemed to come from the seas around Australia (though now there's apparently been evidence for one found off, I think, Portugal), I wondered if our "down under" contingent was more aware of them.

I also thought the concept: Which is bigger: colossal or giant?... was funny.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 11:11 am
Piffka:

So what you are saying is that you are using a poll as a way to promote your thread. Okay. Very Happy

It's just that I feel that, in an attempt to seem democratic, we go way overboard trying to see how people "feel" about something when they really aren't in position to form an opinion one way or the other.

In a democratic country, all votes are equal. We also tend to measure the success of a democratic leader by how much he has improved the lives of all of his citizens-that's very important. And we in democratic countries have developed an ethic that all people's opinions are to be listened to.

However, this has led to a sense that all things are to be settled by vote or public opinion. I don't know how it is in Australia, but in America, people have almost given up arguing whether something is right or not. They argue about whether it is popular, or can be made to be popular. Our news stories increasingly deal with poll jumps, poll declines, what effects polls have on policy. Polls have their use-but we have gone way too far.

So when you came up with a poll asking people to decide if the Colossal Squid was a separate animal or merely a Giant Squid with an active Public Relations push behind it, my reaction was "Arrrrgggghhhhh!"

Nothing personal, you understand. You just happened to hit on a subject that has become a sore point with me. :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 11:15 am
PS: I thought the debate about whether this truly could be called a Colossal Squid, or merely a well-above-average Giant Squid was funny in a Pythonesque sort of way, as well. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 11:30 am
I'm sorry you took offense at the poll -- it was just a way to engage readers... a "catchy' little bit. The point is, before you read this, did you know about these two kinds of creatures?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 11:35 am
Piffka:

Before this poll, did I know about these two creatures? No.

The next question we should ask ourselves is: Now that we have already used up "giant" and "colossal", what do we call the next squid we find that is even bigger? Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 11:43 am
Colossal squid TO THE MAX!!!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 12:04 pm
Aha, now you're seeing the conundrum! Assuming these squid are as aggressive as they say, I'd just as soon stop with Colossal to the Max. Very Happy

It is odd (to me) to think of invertebrates being big or bothersome, but here are some little squid-ly cousins who, are more common and nearly as agressive:

http://www.bajadestinations.com/hbarc/hb2002/hb020902/WilliamsSquid.jpg
Humboldt Squid
0 Replies

baleen5

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:44 pm
Colossal vs. Giant Squid
Yes, there is a difference, and they do exist.

The Giant Squid, Architeuthis dux, is a relatively gentle squid. Apparently, because of tests they've done on the flesh of the Giant Squid, they hunt by hanging in the water, their tentacles dangling vertically, and await unweary prey to drift into them. Giant Squid are also, as you have guessed, a bit smaller than Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni (Colossal Squid).

The sizes of Giant Squid tend to be extremely overblown. Their bodies are about 8 feet long, though their tentacles stretch quite long. The tentacles have been forcibly stretched in some measurements (I've read), and the squid as a whole measured from tentacle to body, resulting in exagerrated lengths like 60-70 ft.

Colossal on the other hand have whopping 14 ft. bodies.

http://www.coldbacon.com/news/squid1.html

Nothing to shrug at by any means. They are also extremely predatory. They hunt large fish (it was observed hooking a 6 ft. patagonian toothfish) and their bodies seem to be rigged for fast movement and vicious, predatory acts. Their tentacles are equipped with two rows of razor sharp, swiveling (!) 2-inch hooks.

So there's the difference. Introducing the world's deadliest Squid... the Colossal.
0 Replies

baleen5

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:48 pm
BTW, I'm for either Kraken Squid, Godzilla Squid, or Megasquiddatron as the next biggest one.

There's gotta be something bigger down there....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:53 pm
New Scientist did a recent (about 3 months ago) rundown on this subject.

Piffka, isn't that the sick squid you owe me?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:54 pm
Welcome baleen5! Baleen is a whale, and it is clear you have much knowledge of creatures of the deep. I like Megasquiddatron personally, once it's discovered.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:57 pm
So what's the next stuffing for the annual A2K squid-fest?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 06:09 pm
It's gonna be a whale of a time!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 02:46 pm
Giant squid wash up on California beaches - Newsday - 29 minutes ago
California beach inundated with dead giant squid - Reuters AlertNet - 20 Jan 2005

Honestly... giant or jumbo... which will it be? Humboldt's... I guess, and juveniles. This photo isn't as shocking as the one from 2002 in San Diego.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/TECH/science/01/20/jumbo.squid.ap/story.squid.ap.jpg

Quote:
LOS ANGELES TIMES
January 23, 2005

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. - More than 1,500 jumbo squid, which are common to South America, have washed onto Orange County beaches over the past few days, leaving marine experts perplexed as to why so many of the mollusks are so far north.

Dotting Crystal Cove State Park beach up to Newport Beach, the squid with their long, gooey-looking tentacles have caught beachgoers off-guard.

Unlike their smaller cousin, the beached and mostly juvenile pink and black creatures are about 3 feet long and 5 to 15 pounds. The Dosidicus gigas, or Humboldt squid, are not recommended eating. Adults can grow to 6 feet long and weigh as much as 100 pounds.

The creatures are typically found off Peru and elsewhere in South America, but in recent years they have been turning up in larger numbers in the Gulf of California, Oregon and Alaska.

"It may be they're following a warm California current," said John McGowan, professor emeritus at Scripps Institution of Oceanography in San Diego.

Quote:
California beach inundated with big, dead squid
20 Jan 2005 22:25:12 GMT

Source: Reuters

LOS ANGELES, Jan 20 (Reuters) - Hundreds of jumbo squid washed up dead over the last two days in one of southern California's most popular beach communities, authorities said on Thursday.

The Newport Beach Fire Department said some 500 squid, measuring roughly five feet (1.5 metre) and weighing about 10 to 15 pounds (4.5 kg to 7 kg) each, added to the tonnes of debris already littering local beaches after recent heavy rains.

"I think that they were probably chasing some bait or some prey at high tide and just swam too close to the beach," said Eric Bauer, a lifeguard captain with the fire department in the coastal city 45 miles (72.5 km) southeast of Los Angeles.

Southern California was battered by heavy storms in late December and early January, dumping more rain in the space of a few days than the area usually gets in a year. City officials said the water locally was dirtier than usual at the moment, in part because of the storms.

Bauer said regular squid sightings were not uncommon but added the jumbos looked "extra-terrestrial."

Newport Beach's squid problem is the latest in a string of cases of the sea creatures washing up dead on Pacific beaches. More than 1,000 were found in southwest Washington state last October and they inundated the San Diego area in mid-2002.

Thousands of Jumbo Squid lie dead north of San Diego, July 2002.
http://www.controlledfury.com/blog/squid.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 02:53 pm
Piffka wrote:
Thousands of Jumbo Squid lie dead north of San Diego, July 2002.
http://www.controlledfury.com/blog/squid.jpg

That's an amazing picture. Just imagine all those things out in the ocean swimming around (most of the time), and almost nobody ever sees them.

I wonder what's out there that we've never seen before.
0 Replies