Welcome to the Hot Zone

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 06:54 am
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/feat/hotzone/main.jpg

Hottest world conflicts in the computer near you! Live! Entertaining! Wild!

The future of the news reality shows, or whatever should one call it. Kevin Sites touring the world's conflict zones with digital technology that will allow him to blog and transmit images and videos from war ridden areas daily. One can contact him there, or chat with him live on the website.

Now while I know he's doing it voluntarily and probably for a shootload of money, I have to say I find the idea of such a project odd and somewhat disconcerning. Will it start a new wave of journalists seeking out the most dangerous situations to sell their goods? Competition on who can go the farthest? And will that encourage the sides in conflict to up their performance, so to speak, getting international live coverage straight from the front? Especially if there will be more and more Keven Sites'es roaming the world?
Thousands of journalists already do seek out war zones, sure. But this is taking it to a whole new level, I think.
Anyway, I'm confused about how I feel about it. I will surely look in often to see where he's at and will be curious about the reports and live videos. It has a voyeuristic element to it, doesn't it? Ah, what is this world coming to. And what does the future of journalism hold for us? Can we control it in any way? What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,692 • Replies: 20
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 06:57 am
How long before we see a photo of Kevin Sites with his recently severed head resting comfortably on his back?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:07 am
Oh, this is very interesting! BM
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:11 am
gus, that's what's making me uncomfortable. it just seems like a stoopid idea to me. but i won't deny that i am also curious, although it makes me feel kinda dirty. partaking in making a violent conflict a part of entertainment culture. well, more so than it already is. yecchh.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:24 am
Everything in life has a positive, and a negative side. The good thing about this is that they might be able to record what really is happening in certain areas of the world in case the governments of the world tell us different. If they make money good for them! If they survive many of these men come back home changed, and sometimes not for the better. They could also come back wounded or sick.

To me, it's a good thing to be able to choose how your going to die when it's for a good cause.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:29 am
Yes,yes, that is a good thing. But what we may also observe is escalation of conflict, just because it gets media attention more and more. Similar to decapitations and kidnappings - where media play a crucial role. That is perhaps not so good and has me worried.

Like I said, I'm confused about what to think of the whole project.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:41 am
There are incidents where the bastards in charge decide it would be best for a certain reporter to "die in conflict"

Mr. Sites better tread carefully.

Of course, I imagine he'll have quite an entourage and that might ensure his safety from the more devious sorts.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:42 am
I'm wonder if I have revealed too much and am now in the sniper's scope?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:45 am
indeed gus. watch your rear.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:47 am
Another negative side may be that some reporters might stage phony conflicts just for the money.

Lets hope those that are out there doing this are honest, and sincere in their endeavor. I believe this kind of journalism is here to stay.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:48 am
AE, I wouldn't be in the least surprise. Also, some conflicts that wouldn't have errupted violently, may, just for the heck of it. To be on TV.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:51 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
There are incidents where the bastards in charge decide it would be best for a certain reporter to "die in conflict"

Mr. Sites better tread carefully.

Of course, I imagine he'll have quite an entourage and that might ensure his safety from the more devious sorts.

This happens more than people realize in all levels of our society.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:40 am
I'm not so sure I would go that far, Angelique.

Who would benefit from the death of a donut maker?

I believe his level is safe.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:45 am
LOL for sure
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:47 am
http://www.expectnothing.com/CAR/PICS/donut-small.jpg

They are being closely watched, the donut makers. But if one of them talks too much or steps out of line, they're all in trouble.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
The cops would suffer without their donut breaks. The government would not stand for it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
Dagmaraka
dagmaraka wrote:
indeed gus. watch your rear.

I think Gus would rather has his....er....front protected.

BBB
0 Replies

bbaptiste

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 03:04 pm
AngeliqueEast wrote:
The cops would suffer without their donut breaks. The government would not stand for it.

True! true!! I have a friend whose life work is a comprehensive look into the (not-so) secret relationship between cops and donuts.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 03:56 pm
LOL They need their sugar rush.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 02:00 pm
It's here, it's real, it's live. Let's see what comes out of it. It does seem to get some attention - in 2 hours since first post Sites got 55 comments on his blog. So far nothing earth-shattering. Interviews, photo essays, some short videos, blogs, links to related stories (now THAT i like, but that's got nothing to do with Sites). I'm mui curious and will be looking in often in the next few weeks.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 27 Sep 2005 10:44:52 -0700
Subject: Now live -- Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone
To:

http://hotzone.yahoo.com

THIS EMAIL HAS BEEN SENT TO YOU AS YOU REQUESTED. KEVIN SITES IN THE HOT ZONE IS NOW LIVE.

THE WAIT IS OVER. JOIN KEVIN SITES, AWARD-WINNING JOURNALIST, AS HE REPORTS FROM MORE THAN 20 ARMED CONFLICTS OVER THE COURSE OF 12 MONTHS. BE THERE EVERY STEP OF THE WAY AS HE SEEKS OUT THE UNTOLD AND UNDERREPORTED STORIES DEEP WITHIN CONFLICT.

-----------------TRANSMISSION----------------

FIRST STOP: SOMALIA.

WITHOUT AN EFFECTIVE GOVERNMENT SINCE 1991, SOMALIA IS ANYONE'S STATE. THIS LAWLESSNESS MAY BE ALLOWING THE COUNTRY TO BECOME AL-QAIDA'S NEWEST BREEDING GROUND. THE IMPLICATIONS FOR THE U.S. AND THE REST OF THE WORLD REMAIN UNCLEAR, BUT ONE THING IS CERTAIN: KEVIN SITES WILL BE REPORTING LIVE FROM MOGADISHU, TO BRING YOU THE STORY.

------------TRANSMISSION COMPLETE-----------

EXPERIENCE SOMALIA AND OTHER CONFLICTS LIKE NEVER BEFORE: DIRECT FROM THE FRONT LINES.

• DAILY FIELD REPORTS
• PHOTO ESSAYS
• VIDEO REPORTS
• AUDIO DISPATCHES
• READER DISCUSSION FORUMS

ONE MAN. ONE YEAR. A WORLD OF CONFLICT.

YOU CAN'T GET THIS CLOSE TO THE TRUTH
STANDING ON THE SIDELINES.

[JOIN KEVIN SITES IN THE HOT ZONE]
0 Replies