Breaking the Silence about Gender-based Abuses in Zimbabwe

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 09:40 am
Breaking the Silence about Gender-based Abuses in Zimbabwe
Mercedes Sayagues - IPS - 4/3/03

JOHNNESBURG, Apr 3 (IPS) - During the day, she hid in farms. At night, she slept in the bush or with goats in kraals.

Plaxedes, a polling agent for the opposition party, the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), was hiding from the Green Bombers, Zimbabwe's feared militia. When they found her, they beat her up. They made her crawl until her knee bones showed through torn flesh.

Then, three men frog-marched her to a well-known torture base on the foothills. There, they raped her several times. Her voice breaks as she tells what happened next: "They built a big fire and burnt me with red hot metal wires in my private parts."

Plaxedes and other Zimbabwean women raped by militia tell their stories in a powerful movie documentary premiered this week at Wits University in Johannesburg with a panel discussion afterwards.

The event kick-started a drive by the Wits Institute for Social and Economic Research (WISER) to break the silence in South Africa about massive gender-based human rights abuses -- gang rape and sexual torture, in simple words -- taking place in neighbouring Zimbabwe.

"We must push our human rights institutions and academics to make a stand about what is happening in Zimbabwe," said Sheila Meintes, a member of South Africa's Commission on Gender Equality and a lecturer in political studies at Wits University.

FOR THE COMPLETE ARTICLE:
http://www.ipsnews.net/interna.asp?idnews=17273
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,403 • Replies: 4
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 11:17 pm
B-cubed, It is something hard for these women to tell and it doesn't help that not many people seem to listen. Thanks for posting.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 12:05 am
Evil or Very Mad Yet another truth that should, in itself, be a call to arms. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 02:54 am
I work with a woman from Zimbabwe who was born and raised there and hoped to raise her children there, but felt forced to emigrate due to the threat of human rights abuses to herself and her family. She says she saw situations such as the one described in this article/documentary going on all around her every day.

She was a journalist there, she's teaching here (the UK) but is putting together a book of the stories of separate individuals in an effort to make the situation more widely known.

Hopefully, the world will take note and decide to act.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:10 am
littlek wrote:
B-cubed, It is something hard for these women to tell and it doesn't help that not many people seem to listen. Thanks for posting.

It is a very confronting issue I suspect many people would just rather not dal with this and go on about their happy little lives.
0 Replies