Which breed of dog should I get?

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:10 pm
Hi everyone. I am currently exploring the possibility of whether I should maybe get a dog or not. I have done quite a bit of research as to which breed I should get, and have found two or three breeds which are suitable-ish, but no perfect. If you think that my lifestyle is not suitable for a dog please say - I will listen. Here are my details:

My garden is medium/small, it has space to run about in but not loads of it. There is a fence all the way round, so I think escape would be quite hard. I also have a courtyard.
As both my parents work very hard, and my brother and I am at school (myself in the last year of High School), the dog has the potential to be left alone at home for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
I am willing to take it for a brisk and short walk in the morning, and then a more substantial one in the evening where I could take it to the park to play with. I would like to spend about 60 minutes maximum overall a day exersing it.
I do not want it to have to be professionally groomed, but I don't mind brushing it a few times a week, clipping it's nails and brushing it's teeth.
Food isn't an option, but I'd rather it doesn't have to eat loads, or the meal to cost a lot weekly. Allergies are not a problem either.
I would like a dog that is obediant and learns quite quickly, as this will be my first dog so I have no experience training them. I do not want it to have a protective or agressive temper, and being a guard dog is a no.
I would much rather it wasn't a toy dog, or very small. I would like to be able to go jogging with it if I wanted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,355 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:18 pm
The trouble with Sogs, is that their coats are quite porous, and when taken out in the rain, they remain wet for hours.

Hence the word soggy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:26 pm
I really wouldn't even get a sog.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:29 pm
Bendragonbrown--

You might consider pushing the "Edit" button on your post and changing the "Sog" to "Dog" in the title.
0 Replies

bendragonbrown

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:31 pm
Yes, thank you for all your hilarious comments about the sogs. Congratualtions on making fun of a person that only joined 10 minutes ago, and didn't know how to change the title.
But seriously, which dog should I get?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:34 pm
Are you going to college? If this is your last year of high school, where will you be next year?

Some sogs require more exercise than others. To avoid a toy sog or one that eats too much, needs a lot of grooming, etc, I would suggest a corgi or perhaps a jack russell. Both are short haired, not sissy sogs, smallish, and very smart.

Just REALLY consider that sog ownership correctly done is like having a child. Are you ready for a child?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:36 pm
We're just joshin' ya, Ben. We all make typo's, so feel free to do the same back.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:36 pm
Re: Which breed of sog should I get?
bendragonbrown wrote:
Hi everyone. I am currently exploring the possibility of whether I should maybe get a dog or not. I have done quite a bit of research as to which breed I should get, and have found two or three breeds which are suitable-ish, but no perfect. If you think that my lifestyle is not suitable for a dog please say - I will listen. Here are my details:

My garden is medium/small, ...As both my parents work very hard,

I am willing to take it for a brisk and short walk in the morning, and then a more substantial one in the evening where I could take it to the park to play with. I would like to spend about 60 minutes maximum overall a day exersing it.
Food isn't an option, but I'd rather it doesn't have to eat loads, or the meal to cost a lot weekly. Allergies are not a problem either.
I would much rather it wasn't a toy dog, or very small. I would like to be able to go jogging with it if I wanted.

What 3 breeds have you narrowed it down to?
Food isn't an option? It may starve then.
Allergies may not bother you but the dog might need meds. and if there's a lot of sneezing look for lots of gooey slime all over the place.
If you want a toy dog then get one.
Be aware that 60 minutes is not a heck of a lot of time to spend with a young dog and if it's a puppy they will need extra attention. Just walking a dog should be a minimum of 15-20 minutes in the a.m. and afternoon as well as a 45 minute romp at the park later or while you jog. Keep in mind a really small dog might not be able to physically handle a brisk jog, make sure the selected breed is designed for running.

Last but not least, you say you are in the last year of high school...does this mean college is next? Will the college take the dog? Most schools frown upon that. At this time in your life you may want to hold off a year or two or until you secure a place of your own. If you are sure you will be home for the next several years (local college or a job) then discuss it with your parents and if they approve (after all it is their home) then go for it.
0 Replies

bendragonbrown

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:37 pm
Aw. Thank you Squinny. I was thinking of a Jack Russel?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
are all of Squinny's Speagles spoken for?
0 Replies

bendragonbrown

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:40 pm
"Food isn't an option? It may starve then."

Ha ha. I mean that money for food or the amount it eats isn't really an option for when buying.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:43 pm
We had one that was a russell / beagle mix. Loved her to pieces. Very smart, housebroke quickly, not yip-yippee, short hair. Also probably a better choice over the corgi if you WANT to jog with your dog and it isn't a jog because the dog needs it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:46 pm
Table of dog descriptions.

Dog personalities.

Jack Russell may be the perfect size--but aren't they gluttons for attention? You may want one who can spend lots of time alone--and a Jack Russell will dig the garden asunder.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:48 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
are all of Squinny's Speagles spoken for?

Very Happy

Got one female left, but the easy to train, walk with or housebreak criteria is NOT a Beagle !!! Beagles follow their nose and are totally clueless that you are on the other end of the leash. Also, a little slow on the "Duh, I'm supposed to go outside?"

(But, don't tell dragon. I think I've got her almost.... )
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:50 pm
Pug.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:52 pm
Boston Terrier.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:19 pm
bendragonbrown wrote:
Yes, thank you for all your hilarious comments about the sogs. Congratualtions on making fun of a person that only joined 10 minutes ago, and didn't know how to change the title.
But seriously, which dog should I get?

Ben, you're not the first and you won't be the last to make a boo boo on the topic title. Nice to see that you can take all of our silliness with good humour.

Put it this way....what better way to get yourself known among so many people.

I will now always think of you as the Sog man.

Good luck with your dog hunt, but watch out for those Jack Russells, willful little blighters that like to have their own way. If you get a good'un, they are wonderful. If you get an obstinate one, you will probably end up being the one that is trained.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:32 pm
Ever thought of a Greyhound? Commonly referred to as a 40mph couch potato, they are so laid back at home, that you sometimes forget that you've got one in the house.

Sleep all day long, never whine or get skittish, and when you go out jogging, they will look at you in a mocking sort of way, as if to say "well, is that all the speed you can muster?".

I have had mine for about six years (my previous two dogs were mongrels) and I can honestly say that she is no bother at all.

She also loves humans, especially little ones who pull her ears (seriously).

Apparently, it is the only domestic dog that has not been bred with any other type of dog. Pure today, as when the Pharaohs hunted with them in ancient Egypt, about 4000 odd years ago.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:28 pm
oh LE you are a man after my own heart. i was just about to say, why not rescue a greyhound. they are supposedly the laziest dogs around. they lay around the house, but are some of the best running dogs if you take them running (otherwise they are extremely lazy).

they are also the most abused dogs (dog races Sad ) so there are generally many at rescues.

i have heard and every jack russel i have met has been super hyper. if your yard isn't that big, he might tear it up. we have a breed known for hyperness (our brittany spaniel) and we now have a 1 acre plot of land all fenced just so he can run around like a madman. he is pent up all day, just like yours would be, but we get home...he takes off and wears himself out.

we are thinking down the line of adopting a rescue greyhound. i love that they will sleep all day long and then take off running if you want to.

welcome to a2k, and you will quickly learn, lord ellpus is one of the funniest people on this site.

nothing but love for ya ellpus!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:38 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Ever thought of a Greyhound? Commonly referred to as a 40mph couch potato,

There is a doctor in my town that has one of those. Every once in a while it takes it into its (empty?) head to run. To get it back he'd have to look one or two towns over (15 or 20 miles).
0 Replies