Watching Out for Scam Artists/Stalkers

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 06:44 am
For the second time in my memory, we have had scam artists on A2K. What they do is join, and then PM members. So if you look at their profile, it appears that they have never posted anything.

If you get a peculiar PM on A2K from someone that you don't know, especially where money is involved, let a Moderator know.

Also, we have had instances where a member was harrassing some female members on A2K by PM. Remember, the Moderating staff will not know, unless you tell us. Please let us know, so we can deal with the problem.

IMO, it is best if you don't even get personally involved with a person who is annoying you. He is looking for a reaction from you, and then is the last thing that you want to give him. Just let the Moderators know, we will deal with it, and you can avoid a lot of aggravation!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,672 • Replies: 18
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 06:52 am
PS Forwarding the complete text of the PM is extremely helpful.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 06:52 am
<better make myself scarce in case I get banned>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 07:03 am
i lOVE THOSE LETTERS I GET FROM NIGERIA

"pLEASE ALLOW ME TO REACH YOU IN YOUR PRIVATE CAPACITY, IRRESPECTIVE OF THE FACT THAT WE HARDLY KNOW OURSELVES.. I AM DR BONO NOBO, FORMERLY RELATED TO THE LATE PREMIER OF NIGERIA..."

iN ANTICIPATION OF A PLEASED RESPONSE I AM REACHING YOU TO EXPECT 5 PERCENT ADVANCE PAYMENT TO SHIP GOLD INGOTS FROM OUR TREASURY TO A SAFE DESTINATION FOR USE BY MY IMMEDIATE FAMILY..."

HOW CAN I DECLINE SUCH AN OPPORTUNITY , PLUS THE ADDED FEATURE , I WILL FINALL GET TO KNOW MYSELF..
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 07:14 am
Lower case letters please.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:15 am
Thanks Phoenix and the rest of the staff. You guys are awsome ;-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:21 am
Wow - belt them dudes! or dudettes!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:29 pm
Thank you, phoenix and jespah.

Able2know is a wonderful creation. Too bad it has been invaded by undesirables. Thanks for letting us know.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 08:32 pm
SATT - the posts by the African scammers are usually in all caps just like Farmerman posted.

This is a place to bring up a reminder - one of our friends from abuzz cannot participate in a2k because the print is far too small for him to easily read. Those with low vision will not be able to participate without some additional low vision tech programs or at the very least some gymnastics involving copy/paste into other text editing programs.

I myself have found it difficult to read a2k and similar sites because the type appears to me to be about the equivalent of 6 point type in graphics terminology. I try to post my replies here by selecting from the toolbar a color, the large size font and also the italic, because I can easily find my own posts within a long thread.

I also do this for benefit of others who may have problems with vision, too. I have a 17" monitor, fairly new, and also set the preference for my resolution and type size as large on my own monitor to help, but it does not adjust the a2k text fields from what was used by each poster.

My last tip is to try to break up long paragraphs into a smaller number of sentences. Far, far easier to read.
Ok, rant over. I feel better now! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 03:19 pm
cobalt,

On low resolutions your font size is titanic.

BTW the font sizes here are not much different from Abuzz thus one wouldl encounter the same difficulties on either site.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 03:22 pm
I beg everyone not to start using the large font for all posts. I had thought about removing the oversized font options already as it is.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 03:51 pm
Craven, not the point necessarily. If you use a laptop, the print appears tiny. I have a periodic problem with my cap lock. I dropped my laptop at the airport and Im glad thats all that is wrong. Dell hasnt been able to fix it so maybe, in order to fire up this site
A Ill just keep typing in flame caps , like a madman , just to piss satt off, or

B I get a new laptop. My hardrive is so loaded now that my computer is getting too heavy anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 03:56 pm
Cobalt, here's a thread that Setanta started on that topic (font sizes):

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3779&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cobalt&start=0

I posted several links for online resources.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:04 pm
I suppose noone remembers Garret Morris and his "News For the Hard Of Hearing" on the first years of SNL

He would appear in a box on the top corner of the screen and while the newscaster would read , Morris would shout the same story...... anybody remember?...... well... I guess you hadda be there.

I thought it was funny but , I laugh at septic tank cleaner ads
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:28 pm
farmerman..
I have a tool that converts every upper case letter into a lower case letter. Your shouting letters could not let me leave, if the content was valuable.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:43 pm
Satt, once more Ill try. I wasnt shouting. My keyboard everyso often locks in the caplock position. I live with it , it happens. It eventually corrects itself. All the dell forces and all the dell men cant get my caplocks to function again
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:50 pm
farmerman wrote:
All the dell forces and all the dell men cant get my caplocks to function again

Laughing
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 01:41 am
LOL!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:49 pm
art
FM, septic tank cleaner ads have no effect on me, but I did enjoy Morris' sketch, in the era of "cheeseburger,cheeseburger, cheeseburger."
The good old days.
0 Replies