Non-meowing variety

snood

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:53 pm
Hi everyone, I have a question:
I have two long-haired domestic black cats, George and Joe. They are brothers from the same litter, and they are 3 years old. They - neither of them - have ever really purred. The most I've gotten is a sort of a raspy in and out breathing they do for a few moments - at times when they are feeling especially content.
I actually suspect they're capable of purring, and I'll tell you why - George doesn't meow, either - he does a little thing that sounds like he's trying to meow but he's too hoarse. But on a couple of occasions when he was especially excited, he has let out a good, old fashioned (and loud) MEOW. So, why don't they purr? They are otherwise healthy and seem happy. Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,444 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:59 pm
Some just don't much.

I had sister cats...one would purr so loud you'd hear her across the room, and you didn't so much have have to look at her to get her started.

The other would purr once in a blue moon. Just didn't have much to say I guess. She too had a rusty meow. Aaacck?

BTW, not all cats like catnip....It's a dominent gene, but those two did not have it. They purr kitty would sort of sniff it for a second and walk away. The rusty gate would jerk her head back and crinkle up her face. Eeeewwwww.

I realized this when we got a third cat that couldn't get enough.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:01 pm
Thanks, chai.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:09 pm
if the cat is too horse, perhaps thats the problem

does he neighow?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:58 pm
Snood, I have had several cats. Some make more than others. My current big guy only purrs lightly when really content. He does meow, though, and every once in a while he lets out one of those yowls.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 05:10 pm
Lions purr.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/25/1088144971149.html?from=storyrhs

Do lions purr?
June 26, 2004

Do lions purr?

Lions do occasionally purr, but they are different from house cats in that purring is not common or important in their social life. Also, lions make a sound only as they exhale instead of continuously, the way house cats do. The large cats of the world are divided into two groups - those that roar, like tigers and African lions, and those that purr. Mountain lions purr, hiss, scream, and snarl, but they cannot roar.

John Mamutil, Baulkham Hills Some aver that lions purr

Others say that's rot

I, myself, am in two minds

- purrhaps, purrhaps not.

Don Bain, Port Macquarie Yes and no. Joy Adamson said that Elsa (of Born Free fame) purred, but the type of purring would have been different to that of the small cats (Felis species). Small cats purr continuously as they breathe in and out, and can even purr while miaowing and swallowing. Lions, on the other hand, may make a purring sound, but have to take a breath in between purrs.

Tigers "chuff":

http://www.hilozoo.com/animals/A_tiger.htm

Chuffing -- a soft "Brrrrr" sound made through the nose and open mouth, a tiger's way of purring.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 05:20 pm
our cat barney snores
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:48 pm
Oh, my cat snores too!

Noddy, thanks for the info!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:31 am
Lulu once woke ME up with her snoring....

she was clear across the room, under the dresser.

I had to drag her out by her back legs, she barely woke up.

zzzzzzzzzzzch...huh?.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 06:14 pm
I once had a semiferal cat, or our neighborhood did, who we tamed over time. Eventually it would let me brush its coat and scratch its head. When I scratched its head it would look up at me lovingly and hiss. Hiss? Hiss. I think he didn't have a mother or siblings to teach him these matters... it was clearly a hiss of contentment...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:19 pm
Yeah, I had a feral yard cat at work that always hissed when I fed her. I finally figured out is was sort of a conversational hiss.

Ah, but Steve, MY cat barney wakes me up in time for work. Now, if somebody could tell me how to teach him about weekends. . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
roger--

Barney wakes you up for breakfast--and slaves don't have a calendar with weekends.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:42 pm
I sure don't.
0 Replies