Oh great, trees really do cause pollution

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:15 pm
Studies have shown that some trees do actually emit volitile chemicals that exacerbate photochemical smog in nature and in the cities where they're planted.

Dept of Renewable Resources, UofA

The Boston Globe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,005 • Replies: 23
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:17 pm
Shocked

!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:20 pm
Hazardous trees!!!
Mgod, it's just all getting too complex! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Just some of them. Apparently the smokies are smoky from pollution caused by a high number of hardwoods. Except, they don't call it pollution because no one has health issues with it there. By far, human respiratory health decline stil comes from man-made pollution - basically. If I'm reading it right.
0 Replies

pueo

i remember the reagan administration being ridiculed for that statement.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:22 pm
MsOlga - the search engine displayed more articles on the subject from Oz than anywhere else.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:22 pm
pueo - eeyep.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:24 pm
I think the Reagan thing was about cow farts. Or was it trees AND cow farts?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:25 pm
littlek wrote:
MsOlga - the search engine displayed more articles on the subject from Oz than anywhere else.

So does it follow that we have more of the "wrong" trees than other places? Shocked I think I'll check that out another day when I'm feeling more up to it!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:27 pm
the reagan administration referred to trees and the cutting down thereof. btw, cow farts and farts in general release methane gas.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:36 pm
I remember Reagan and cow farts too. And ketchup is a vegie.

MsOlga - I don't think so...
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:49 pm
yeah, ketchup as a veggie, wrong, wrong, wrong. ketchup is made with tomato's, and everyone knows that tomato's are fruits. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:53 pm
It's fruit compote.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 08:12 pm
First keep in mind that your (human) design parameters are for the high open stepeps of east Africa (Serenget plain). So any place else and your out of your natural environment. Secondly one species "pollution" is another species resource (Ecology). Thirdly that stuff the trees are giving off becomes noxious only when combind with other stuff that we are producing. The trees are doing their thing, it is us that is doing something different and troublesome.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 09:37 pm
Ya gotta be fearful of people who claim that trees produce polution. Next thing you know, they're out to cut down all the trees, not realizing that without trees, life on earth would not be possible. c.i.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 09:46 pm
living things produce "pollution" in one form or another.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 11:43 pm
"When you've seen one Redwood, you've seen them all."

That wasn't to actually pass the blame for California's pollution onto forests, but point out that they could better serve as decking for hot-tubs.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:39 am
Gotta keep an eye on those trees ;-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 10:55 am
Mr Still, A little trivia for you. Did you know that a redwood tree grows four times as fast in New Zealand than it does in California? There's one in the botanical garden in Christchurch, and it's HUGE! c.i.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:05 am
pueo wrote:
the reagan administration referred to trees and the cutting down thereof. btw, cow farts and farts in general release methane gas.

Does this mean that our American diet, high in fats, carbs and red meat, could be responsible for the fact that with all the increased farting in American homes and cattle farms we are inhaling more and more methane gas and therefore become dumber and dumber?

This could explain a lot of stuff, not the least our sitting President(?), the publics fascination with Fox News, Joe Millionaire, American Idol, declining SAT scores why, the list goes on and on.

Spread the word...for the sake of America as a major power......EAT MORE BEANO!!!!!!! Mad
0 Replies