Does anyone else feel this way about music?

mac11

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:51 pm
I missed this thread the first time around - clicked the link from the Austin thread and came and read the whole thing.

I kept thinking about you, soz, and wondered if your two cents would be here somewhere.

I hope that DrewDad's right about sorrow. Confused
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:28 pm
DrewDad wrote:

Chai, I'm interested in what you said about not being tone deaf. Can you "hear" music in your head without the song being on?

huh, interesting question. My initial reaction was to say "sure" but then I thought "what does it mean to "hear" music in your head?

Once or twice I have woken up swearing I actually heard the alarm clock, or my husband making a noise. But neither one was actually happening. I seem to remember once sitting and reading and suddenly hearing someone say one word. In these cases, it felt like a physical sensation, and I thought to myself that this must be what he feels like if you get auditory hallucinations.

So no, I can't "hear" music in that way in my head, like it is real.

As an experiment, I tried playing some music in my head. Ok, so I'm doing it…then I started working on something and immediately messed up the work I was doing. So, I couldn't really play music in my head and also well, the word isn't concentrate but I couldn't Something with the other thing I was doing.

Like typing this, I'm thinking "Like typing this,…." But when I do that, I can also have separate thoughts, I can look up and type and listen to someone else and understand what they're saying while my typing voice is going on. I can "play" music in my head and look at something, like a flower and absorb the flower, that's because it's visual.

But no, I guess I'm not so much "hearing" music as "playing" it in my head, and it takes up too much RAM I guess, so I can't internally do something else at the same time. It's definitely a conscious thing.

However, like everyone else, I sometimes get a song stuck in my head, so it's not Always conscious.

Good Question! I'd never thought of it before.
0 Replies

Icklejason

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 08:50 am
I am curious to know wether you can tell the difference in sound of the black and white keys on a piano? And do you have a preference?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 08:56 am
Icklejason wrote:
I am curious to know wether you can tell the difference in sound of the black and white keys on a piano?

What, the flats and the sharps?

Jesus, I don't think the average person would hear that, unless they knew what they were looking for. You'd have to have watched someone play the piano, watching their hands to first see what is making that flat or sharp sound.

They'd hear the note was a little higher or lower, but wouldn't say "oh, they just struck THAT particular key.

I think that's going a little overboard.
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:17 am
I have perfect pitch. Some say you're born with it ... in reality some are born with the ability to hear / retain / reproduce a consistant pitch.

I played trombone for 20 years, and the tuning note is a Bflat. So at any given moment, I'm able to sing a Bflat for you ... here:

Laaaaaaa (see?)

Here's what's up with the black and white keys on a piano.

A major scale (Do Ra Me Fa So La Ti Do) staring on C will use only white keys, there are no sharps or flats.

C D E F G A B C

If we go down a fifth to the key of F, we add one flat:

F G A Bf C D E F

Down a fifth again to Bflat, add another flat:

Bf C D Ef F G A Bf.

Continue this around the Circle of Fifths, you will work your way to the key of Cflat, which has 7 flats.

Sharps is exactly the same, but you go UP fifths.

C - no sharps
G - 1 sharp
D - 2 sharps
A - 3 sharps .... etc.

So for Icklajason, the black keys don't sound any 'different' than the white keys, other than the pitch. It's all relative to your starting point. I could play a song in C (no black keys), and play the same song in B (which has 5 sharps) and once your ear gets used to the key, you probably wouldn't notice any difference.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:30 am
Lovely Bflat Timberbranch....my bowels are now vibrating in tune...

Listen to this NPR storey about Bflat

Have your heard about b FLAT!!!

I especially like the part about the room that steals your Bflat.
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:35 am
I should add this ...

If someone were to sit at a piano and only play only white keys, you would get a tonality of C major or the relative A minor. If you were to play only the black keys, you'd hear an Eflat minor penatonic tonality, or the relative Gflat 6 chord.

Music theory is my forte. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:41 am
so like, when someone farts, can you tell what note it's tooting?
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:49 am
Funny you just said that, and your bowels are in tune, awesome seque. The drummer in my band does that when one of us farts, he'll sing the note back to us. It's a gift.

Chai wrote:
I especially like the part about the room that steals your Bflat.

I noticed the resonant frequency on my acoustic guitar is a D, so when I play a D and stop playing, the guitar will continue sounding.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:52 am
I don't know how to respond to any of that. Neutral
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:01 am
You know that trick with the wine glass where you rub your finger on the rim and it'll sing? If you're able to sing that note to the wine glass, it will start vibrating that pitch back to you. That's a resonant frequency.

Whenever I hear that wine glass trick, I feel an uncontrolable urge to eat at the Old Alligator Grill.

T Cool
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:02 am
why?
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:20 am
Oh Chai, you missed it... I was (semi-)referring to the Have You Heard About Bflat song, they said a Bflat makes an alligator freak out...

... too subtle?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:22 am
The alligator grill has good 25 cent oysters.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:27 am
I was once tested for aptitudes, which included musical aptitudes.

Of the six, I had five, lacking only tonal memory. (Highly developed tonal memory is perfect pitch, I believe.)

I can play (also the trombone) or sing fine, but I tend to wait until I can hear that first note....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:30 am
I had aptitudes once, but Preperation H took care of them.
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:34 am
Bowels, Farts, and Preparation H.

Chai may need more fiber in her diet.

(Love the new avator, btw.)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:36 am
Does it make you want to kiss me?

look at those pouty lips, just begging for yours.
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:08 pm
Wax that caterpiller, and we'll talk. Cool
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 01:15 pm
Re: Does anyone else feel this way about music?
Chai wrote:
I remember getting really stressed out as a teenager and into my 20's by the following question....

So, what kind of music do you like?

Sounds innocent enough, but not if the nearest feeling you can muster up for any type of music is.... well...... ambivilence.

Oh, sometimes when I'm driving, I'll turn on the radio because I'm bored, and hear a song from 70's, 80's or 90's that I've heard before, and even sing along.

Then, a few more will play, and it occurs to me, "crap, enough of THAT" and off goes the radio. Blessed silence.

Otherwise, being asked "what kind of music do you like" is meaningless to me.
When you're a teen and trying to fit in, it was really important to give the appropriate answer....

It's certainly true that one shouldn't turn on music that another person would have trouble escaping from without asking permission, but, very seriously, when someone asks me what kind of music I like, I tell him what kind of music I like. It's about the same as if someone asked me my favorite flavor of ice cream. I know what I enjoy, so if asked, I tell.
0 Replies