Does anyone else feel this way about music?

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:25 pm
I remember getting really stressed out as a teenager and into my 20's by the following question....

So, what kind of music do you like?

Sounds innocent enough, but not if the nearest feeling you can muster up for any type of music is.... well...... ambivilence.

Oh, sometimes when I'm driving, I'll turn on the radio because I'm bored, and hear a song from 70's, 80's or 90's that I've heard before, and even sing along.

Then, a few more will play, and it occurs to me, "crap, enough of THAT" and off goes the radio. Blessed silence.

Otherwise, being asked "what kind of music do you like" is meaningless to me.
When you're a teen and trying to fit in, it was really important to give the appropriate answer, or at least it seemed to be to me. You might not loose a friend over it, but it was a kind of measure as to how you were going to fit in with the gang. So, you say something neutral, like "rock" or "I like all kinds"

I can hear some thinking right now something to the effect of - People can listen to whatever they like, I respect that....

Howver, I've had people really into music say that to me, and the next day when you venture that you do like a particular song, you get....ah, they suck! It's embarrassing because what they listen to sounds just like what they were listening to the day before....at least to me it does.

It's not like I'm tone deaf - I've always been able to do great impersonations of peoples voices, accents, like that. There's just something nerve wracking about music.

I acutually have to wait for cues from other people to tell if the music's any good or not....this is funny, a few weeks ago on the local news they were highlighting some local band......they were playing away, and I'm thinking "christ, I wish I could turn this off," but I had people over, who seemed to be listening, happily it seemed. After a while, I finally said, wow, this is pretty, uh, loud.
someone who had been tapping their foot along to the music said, yeah, they're really bad......

SO - educate me, what is it that YOU find particularly relaxing about music?

how do you listen to music you don't like when others are around, without having a stroke? (Jazz is downright physically painful to me)

I'm not looking for a debate, or to even develop music appreciation. It's like I'm blind and I need someone to discribe "blue" to me.

I'd like to understand - you see, reading and writing are more my passion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,150 • Replies: 83
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:38 pm
Nuthin I like more than groovin to the sound of good old-time Rock N Roll. I can't get enough of it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:40 pm
well, that certainly answers all my questions.....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:44 pm
If you asked me what kind of music I liked, I have no problem answering it.

Different types of music, different songs bring out a different feel, mood, and sometimes emotions. Even memories if the album was one you listened to a lot during a certain time period or with a certain person, ect.

I'm pretty open to music, so I don't get all worked up if there's music playing I don't really like.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:51 pm
I've always hated trying to converse in a bar or restaurant when there is music blaring in the background.

Good music deserves one's full attention.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
There's some film footage of asking Thelonious Monk (an jazz pianist in the 40s through 60s) what sort of music he liked.

If you're not familiar with Monk -- he had some reality issues. He talked weird, he'd disengage from things, sometimes getting up in the middle of a solo to pace in tight circles on the stage...

The interviewer asks him what kind of music he likes.

"All kinds," he says.

The interviewer asks, "Even country music?"

Monk doesn't answer, and stares off into space. He's in an airport or a train station or something with his band and entourage.

The interviewer asks him again whether he likes country music.

Monk appears to ignore the guy, turns to a guy sitting next to him, and says, "I don't believe this gentleman is listening to a word I'm saying."

(or something like that)

http://amb.cult.bg/music/jazz/mp3/pictures/Thelonious%20Monk1.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:01 pm
good points slappy - and generally all the things I hear from people all the time......most people have no problem answering that question, even look forward to answering to see if a friendship might develop..

however, how do you answer, if, like me, you really don't have an answer, since the most positive thing I can say about some music is that I can tolerate it for a while.

What do you mean when you say you are open to music?
Does it not every bother you? I'm really serious about this.

For instance, if there are several people in the room, and each person has a different music they like, it would usually be acceptable for one person to say "let's listen to this" and just get up and put it one. Then each other person might say "let's play this now" until everyone has listened to something they like.

If I'm in the group, it would pretty much unthinkable for me to say, "It's my turn now, I don't want to listen to anything, so turn it off"

I have learned to live with it - but I don't understand it....
If you are a smoker, before lighting up, you would ask the stranger next to you if it would bother them, or get up and go off to have a smoke. You would be considered rude if you didn't do one or the other. If the stranger said nicely "I do mind, thanks for asking" there would be no hurt feelings, the smoker would be understanding, the the stranger might even feel empowered that they were able to control something otherwise unpleasant to them.

I've never had anyone ask me, do you mind if I play this music? They just do it.

Why is that I wonder?

It's really not a matter of getting "worked up". I know I'm not the center of the universe, but sometimes, when it comes to this, I feel like I'm not even part of it........

again, what is so relaxing about it?
you don't find it distracting when you're trying to do something?

I've never been able to ask this face to face to anyone, but I feel comfortable here.
Part of it is actually the lack of sound.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:03 pm
patiodog wrote:
There's some film footage of asking Thelonious Monk (an jazz pianist in the 40s through 60s) what sort of music he liked.

If you're not familiar with Monk -- he had some reality issues. He talked weird, he'd disengage from things, sometimes getting up in the middle of a solo to pace in tight circles on the stage...

The interviewer asks him what kind of music he likes.

"All kinds," he says.

The interviewer asks, "Even country music?"

Monk doesn't answer, and stares off into space. He's in an airport or a train station or something with his band and entourage.

The interviewer asks him again whether he likes country music.

Monk appears to ignore the guy, turns to a guy sitting next to him, and says, "I don't believe this gentleman is listening to a word I'm saying."

(or something like that)

Being stupid, but I don't get it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:30 pm
Maybe without the stage directions...

INTERVIEWER: What kind of music do you like?

MONK: All kinds.

INTERVIEWER: Even country music?

Monk doesn't answer.

INTERVIEWER: I said, even country music?

MONK (to FRIEND): I don't believe this gentleman is listening to a word I'm saying.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:52 pm
Can't say as I'm ambivalent about most music…but I do feel that way about some stuff.

In an attempt to strengthen a problem area in my persona, I sporadically add "tolerance" to my arsenal of "keep your friends," techniques. So, for example, if my friend Sunita wants me to listen to her selection of techno bop (shudder), I do, for a short time. Then I sneak away when her attention is diverted by glimpses of the local firemen passing by, and switch the album to one of my own choosing.

It'd be weird, I admit, if someone said "my turn now," and asked for the stereo to be turned off… if it were a party …but not necessarily if it were just some buddies hanging out (I'd likely accommodate, but I'd probably time ya).

Seriously, I hate talking over loud music and usually wouldn't hesitate to ask that it be turned down.

But, my gawd, if I'm on the deck, lakeside at sunset listening to the Division Bell, I want you to shush up and listen. No, really, shush up. I can lose myself for a few minutes in those notes. It's so hard to fathom that you never feel that. It's intensely...personal...or something.

I find the idea of life without music as unimaginable as life without books.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:10 pm
Chai-

I'll think about it.Some of your ideas require a serious answer.For now try to imagine music in a way that compares light patterns in eyes with sound patterns in ears.Just like the light fills up the visual space around you so does sound fill up the aural space.You discriminate which visuals you like so learn to discriminate which sounds you like.There is probably a connection and you haven't yet discovered it.Your ears may be dazzled.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:23 pm
I think I can relate to what you are saying Chai. I rarely play music in the house or car. I much prefer to listen to NPR or a book on tape. I called everything a "record player" for years, even things like Walkmans. I would probably not have any CD's in the house except my husband is a music fan. I find it hard to think with music on and he mostly wears headphones so I can read or do paperwork.

I think I am just more visual than auditory. I studied art history, I paint, sculpt and design gardens. I think people who get a spiritual high from music are lucky. I must not hear things the way they do. I think this can be true of other arts. My mother was a ballet dancer and for years as a child I was dragged around to every ballet under the sun. I hated it, but my mother looked like she was in rapture during the performance (wether or not she was a part of it), so I just assumed it touched her in a way I could not feel. Same with music, I must be missing something, but I have it in the visual arts.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
however, how do you answer, if, like me, you really don't have an answer, since the most positive thing I can say about some music is that I can tolerate it for a while.

What do you mean when you say you are open to music?

I'm open to listening and exploring different genres of music I don't typically listen to. I'm not the person who says "I hate country," I'll say "I've never listened to it enough to really form an opinion of it."

Does it not every bother you? I'm really serious about this.

Depends. There are bands, or types of music I'm sure, where I'd get bothered if I were forced to listen to it hours on end in a car. I don't think I'd get physically agitaged though.

For instance, if there are several people in the room, and each person has a different music they like, it would usually be acceptable for one person to say "let's listen to this" and just get up and put it one. Then each other person might say "let's play this now" until everyone has listened to something they like.

In this instance, it wouldn't bother me. I'd probably look foward to hearing music I haven't heard before...especially knowing I'm only hearing every person's pick for a short time.

Another way I'll put this to you: I buy cd's like the chick in Sex in the City buys shoes. I can't walk into a cd store and leave with only one. And it's very difficult for me to go into Best Buy and NOT go to the music section.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:00 pm
I totally butchered how I quoted and what I put in bold. Oops.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:36 pm
I've become a shithead snob in the music area, I'm sorry to say. But there's always someone worse so that's some consolation.

It just occurred to me that I'd be better off explaining what kind of music I don't like, since I too have to name like six-thousand bands and genres when someone asks my preferences.

To answer the question, I don't handle myself well around crappy music. I'll have good manners at any sort of show, as long as the performers aren't playing wank-off look-at-me music. If it's shitty but the performer is serious I will pay attention and clap politely.

I don't tell people to their face that I hate the music they listen to. My problem is if I'm listening to the crappy crappy radio with a group of people, or if I'm in a bar and we have no control over the selection. If some dickhole like Jesse McCartney comes on I'll go nuts. I cannot stand most pop music, though I can enjoy dumb **** that doesn't take itself too seriously like Ashlee Simpson. As long as I don't have to hear it too often. But there are certain emo bands I won't name here that I would like to pummel with a bag of Masterlocks.

Bands with apocolyptic, overdramatic names, who rage over ex-girlfriends...you get the idea. I simply do not respect music that is clearly manufactured to make money and that is clearly the afterthought to an image.

But if I GOTTA, I can usually find something nice to say.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:00 pm
Slappy wrote:
I totally butchered how I quoted and what I put in bold. Oops

No need to apologize, Slappy. We've grown accustomed to the way you stumble from thread to thread, butchering anything in your path.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
Chai, I am usually pretty oblivious to music. I don't listen to much at home or in the car. I usually prefer npr in the car and the hum of my computer at home. I have some CDs and some radio stations programed into my car radio.

But, mostly there's music and then there's music that annoys me. Music that annoys me is jazz which is far removed from blues and jagged techno. Those two genres over-stimulate me, or something, and I end up feeling tired. Most current rap fits into the annoy category as well, but it's easier for me to tune out rap.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 04:48 am
I listen to music to help me dissociate from reality.
Especially when I'm writing fiction.

People who tap their feet to music (even to the less good bands) are dancers inside. It is instinctive.
I listen to african, middle-eastern and native american drumming on occasion, as it inspires me. World music is very interesting. You can learn a lot about a country through their music.

To chill, I listen to Lemon Jelly, nightmares on wax (carboot soul is a good cd to have) and Aphex twin.

When I'm pissed off at the lying Government, I listen to the Levellers, Leftfield, the Prodigy, The sex pistols, Rage against the machine.
Ded Prez, Public Enemy.

Classical music is good for visualizing.

If you don't like Jazz - you probably won't want to listen to Amon Tobin - but I rate him very high on my list of 'music that inspires creativity'

The Fun Lovin' Criminals are good for a smoke (smoke 'em if you've got 'em)

Pinkfloyed (when a bit of nostalgia is needed.)

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (for when I cook spicy food)

Maria Callas (for when I'm feeling sorry for myself)

African head charge (when I need energy)

My list goes on and on..... but maybe I'm not explaining it very well..

"Music is the universal language of mankind"
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
Plato

If I had to spend the rest of my life alone, with only one cd to listen to, it would be Leftfield's Leftism.
For me, it caters for all of the above.

If music does not interest you, perhaps you haven't yet heard music that transcends you.

Peace,
Endy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:54 am
Good Morning All....

Thanks for the posts, I'm reading them carefully....

GreenWitch & littlek, you seem to understand best what I'm talking about.

GreenWitch, you really made me laugh calling everything a record player, only for me, everything is a "radio". I actually lived with a musician for a few years, if you can believe that....He had all this stereo equipment hooked up all over, I don't even know what it was all for.

Once, I got the urge to listen to something, and I asked him "How do you turn this thing on"? Laughing Seriously, I've had someone ask me to turn on a radio and I have to stand there for a minute trying to figure out what I'm supposed to push or pull or turn.........all the while thinking "sheesh, this is SO complicated, all this work to listen to a song"?
Like you, I'm VERY visual....my husband surprised me by starting the painting on the house remodel yesterday, I was anxious about the colors, as I had to change horses in mid stream about the type of paint........when I came in and saw the work, I got so excited because it is perfect, it has to blend with so many other things I'm doing, and it worked!
I literally said to him "This is like you just gave me 10 Christmases all at once, or 20 million dollars" I could just see and feel how it would evolve.
I can't imagine music ever doing that.

littlek - yeah, I'm able to tune out most music, meaning the ones you normally hear during the course of the day.....That's the best thing I can say about some music, I'm able to "tune it out". Unless of course it's jazz (just like calling everything a radio - I sorta call everything that bothers me jazz - like I've said, that kind of stuff makes me physically hurt) and yes, I'm an NPR junkie too - I love the way Cory Flintoff has that cute little stutter sometimes....."so, wh- what would you say the major problem with th- the space shuttle is"? Smile

It's nice to know I'm not alone, I would venture a guess that if any one of us was in a situation where music was being played and didn't like it, no one in the room would ever know it.....you just learn to deal with it because the alternative would just be too bizzare for most people.

so - segway to Joe Blow, as you can see, tolerance has obviously been important for me throughout the years in this arena.
See, it's kind of a hidden "disability" (although not to me), not one that can be seen. At a party or even with one or 2 people, it's always assumed that everyone present wants to listen to some type of music. I'm thinking some people might be surprised at the number of people who might inwardly groan when a radio is turned on, but for the sake of being social, just pass it off as one of life's little inconveniences. Otherwise, as you said Joe - you'd be thinking I was weird.

Patio dog - well, yes, I understood the actually words you wrote, but still don't see what it has to do with what I was asking. Just dense I guess.

ENDY - sorry, but all you've done is taken the opportunity to list your music preferences. Never heard of any of them....and I'm not seeking to find a type of music that transcends me, I looking to find out what is is about music that transcends others.

Gargamel - you say "To answer the question, I don't handle myself well around crappy music......"
That's one of the things I'm asking.....what makes the difference between crappy music and non-crappy music?
I've been with people when, let's just say, 4 songs played, and everyone agrees 2 where crappy and 2 were non-crappy......to me they sounded all on the same level..........can't tell what made one good and one not good, sounded the same to me.

Slappy - What is it you find enjoyable about listening to something you've never heard before?
To me, it's very confusing and disorienting.
Yet, over the years you learn to deal with it....

Spendius - yes, I would love to hear what you have to say.

Do you think perhaps some people have more or less sensitive parts of their brain or something?

Maybe a connecter is missing, or hyperactive?

Thanks for everyone's input - this is very interesting to me....please....continue.

I'm wondering if there is a physical difference in the brain?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:05 am
Chai:

Well, it seems like the easy answer, but taste is definitely subjective.

I would like to define crappy and noncrappy not so much as what genres appeal to me, but whether or not the musician is truthful. When I see a teenage kid with a $2,000 haircut playing a guitar riff I've heard 2,000 times before, and singing about his broken heart, I have a hard time believing him.

But, on the other hand, my criteria about honesty is based on a certain level of exposure to music. What I mean is--someone who doesn't listen to music a lot and just turns on the radio, hears a song they like, may not compare that musician against this huge catalogue. There's nothing wrong with that.

I also play in a band, so when an artist gets a record deal without having played bars and parties for years, because he looks like a model, I get a little spiteful.

Interesting thread so far.
0 Replies