baddog1

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:12 pm
Under what circumstance(s) would adultery be considered acceptable in a Christian-based marriage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 882 • Replies: 16
No top replies

neologist

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:58 pm
None.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:43 am
On the contrary. There's always church on sunday.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:44 am
...and a confession booth
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:03 pm
I should plead (or was it drink?) the 5th on this one, but as a faithful spouse on my 3rd marriage, but wasn't one of the 10 Commandments, "Thou shall not commit adultery?"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:48 pm
bm
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:54 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
bm

Not sure if this was directed at me (or even, for sure, what "BM" means, but I have my obvious scatological suspicions), but I was merely trying to be "faithful" to the original question, which asked whether a "Christian" commiting adultery was acceptable. Assuming their belief in Christ and, therefore, the Bible, I simply paraphrased the relevant passage. For myself, well, to paraphrase yet another Bible passage, "Cast no stones".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:59 pm
AllanSwann wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
bm

Not sure if this was directed at me (or even, for sure, what "BM" means, but I have my obvious scatological suspicions), but I was merely trying to be "faithful" to the original question, which asked whether a "Christian" commiting adultery was acceptable. Assuming their belief in Christ and, therefore, the Bible, I simply paraphrased the relevant passage. For myself, well, to paraphrase yet another Bible passage, "Cast no stones".

"bm"...simply means "bookmarking."

I think this topic has the potential for some interesting discussion...and I want to follow it a bit before offering any opinions.

No stones were cast.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:09 am
There are verses which indicate that Jesus desires for every person to be happy (paraphrasing). So I have a friend who is having an affair with another friend's wife. Both families are broken up, one is divorced, kids are involved and it's a bad situation. The 2 affairees are Christian, church-going, supposed leaders of their communities - and their position is: "God wants us to be happy".

I asked this fellow how he determined that the scriptures about "happiness" overrule the scriptures about marriage, family, adultery, deceit, immorality, etc. Of course he got mad and accused me of judging - and would not discuss my question any further. However before he left in a huff I asked him: "So if it would make me happy to shoot the no good SOB that stole $50,000 from me - then Jesus would understand and support me?" This is when he left in a sour mood.

I've read all pertinent scriptures and see no way they can Biblically justify their actions. Any thoughts?

BD1
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:07 am
I disclaim myself from moral purity but I wish the partner you choose once, b4 God and guests, would be the one forever.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:56 am
Baddog, the situation you describe is precicely the reason I dislike christianity so much. When it comes down to it, people do what they want, then they go to church on sunday and ask forgiveness. The message I'm getting is: It's ok to be weak and sinful and not deal with it. Jesus will take your sins.

So they line up in church on sunday to deliver their sins like it was dirty lanudry. Kind of puts the churchgoers in a new light.

This is not good christendom. It is an exploitation of jesus and a distortion of his message.

I'm not saying all christians are like this, just many enough that it takes all sincerety out of it for me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:37 am
neologist wrote:
None.

My thoughts exactly.

Never an excuse or a free pass for adultery.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:41 am
Aldutery can never be condoned or accepted. But it can be very enjoyable :wink:
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:41 am
Quote:
None.

Bella Dea & neologist: I concur.

Quote:
Baddog, the situation you describe is precicely the reason I dislike christianity so much. When it comes down to it, people do what they want, then they go to church on sunday and ask forgiveness. The message I'm getting is: It's ok to be weak and sinful and not deal with it. Jesus will take your sins.

So they line up in church on sunday to deliver their sins like it was dirty lanudry. Kind of puts the churchgoers in a new light.

This is not good christendom. It is an exploitation of jesus and a distortion of his message.

I'm not saying all christians are like this, just many enough that it takes all sincerety out of it for me.

Cyracuz: Agreed. This affair/divorce is a classic example of the hypocrisy that is so damaging to Christianity and what it actually stands for.

Quote:
I disclaim myself from moral purity but I wish the partner you choose once, b4 God and guests, would be the one forever.

Allan: Agreed. Otherwise, why marry?

Update: While the "new" couple claim to be happier than ever before - the woman (42) only ventures out of the house for work, to pick up her daughter from her ex, or to travel to a town 20+ miles away to have dinner with her still married boyfriend. As I hear, she has her 60 year old mother do her grocery shopping for her so as not to run into any friends - or worse; her boyfriend's wife. Oh yes, and she goes to church every Sunday as well. Do you think she is in denial??? Shocked
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:55 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
"bm"...simply means "bookmarking."

I think this topic has the potential for some interesting discussion...and I want to follow it a bit before offering any opinions.

No stones were cast.
I insist on knowing more about these un-cast stones. What type of stones were they and did they at any time lead to your involvement in adultery?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:58 am
Are these the stones that are sometimes referred to as "the family jewels"? Those stones often lead the bearer into all sorts of trouble...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:16 am
The "stones" were a reference to the "stones" Allen mentioned in his post.

You gotta ask him about them.
0 Replies