Any of you have this?

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:32 am
cell phone...

4 questions

1) What brands are good and with great battery life, and which brands to stay away from?

2) Can you send text to a person's email without having the phone hooked to the computer? If so, is this an extra cost or does every new cell phone nowadays have this ability? Is this an extra cost? And can you receive email back on the phone?

3) Can you send pics from the phone to someone's email without having to connect the phone to a computer? Is this an extra cost?

4) What is the range of the pics? for instance, do you have to be withing 10 ft or something from the person or closer to get an okay pic? Or closer? Range?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 907 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:10 am
Yes, I have a cell phone that takes pictures. No, I rarely take pictures with it. I don't think that the resolution of a camera phone compares with a "real" camera, and besides I just treated myself to a new digital camera.

As far as the batteries go, I really don't know for sure, but I would assume that it just might eat up more battery time than simply using the phone as a phone. You would have to ask one of the tecchies in the crowd about that.

In my ideal world, I would get a cell phone that is just a phone, but the highest quality available. The problem is, if you want a quality phone, (unless there is something that I don't know about) you have to get one that has other bells and whistles, like cameras.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:33 am
Yes I have a cell phone. No, it does not take pictures, in all truthfulness, I am not much into photos anyway.

For the record my cell phone has worked quite well (3 years this month) even though it was one of the basic drab ones. (Occasionally I get lucky that way Very Happy ) My provider was AT&T, they recently renamed and merged with Cingular.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:36 am
I edited the original question, now there are 4 new questions.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:55 am
I got a mail from cingular to get a free samsung cell phone model no c207. Or select the samsung e317 for 29.99.

Now I'm wondering, is the free phone a bad deal? What I mean is that do you think it sucks, that's why they are offering it for free? What about the 29.99 phone? Should i take this deal?

Also, what's the difference between digital and GSM ???
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:51 am
GSM is a type of digital cellular technology.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question537.htm

My first Cingular phone had analog, and I was able to get reception in places where other people couldn't. (like in the nether regions of the Grand Canyon). Then about a year ago, Cingular went over to GSM, and I had to get a digital phone. The digital service does not have the breadth of coverage tof the analog service.

It looks like for most of the services, the digital networks are the only game in town. I am not sure if any of the current services have both digital/analog service.

Before you buy a service, check out their reception area. The different service have maps of their coverage areas. If you are calling mostly big cities, or areas that are near major highways, you should not have any problems.

I attempted to get you a direct link to the phone reviews, but they don't seem to work. Go to:

http://www.cnet.com/

Hit "reviews" on top. Then just type in the numbers of the phones, and you will get a good idea about what people think of the two phones. Apparently, the free C207 has a much better review than the other phone.

What the phone company really is selling is the service contract for which you are obligated when you get their free or slashed price phones. Obviously, you pay more for the phones with the greater number of "bells and whistles", but you can get a good, basic phone for no or little cost.

Sometimes, you can get a good phone for next to nothing if you are willing to pick up a phone model that is being discontinued. That is what I did, and I am happy with the phone that I have.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:07 am
Can I get advice on a cell phone to get, nothing fancy like camera and stuff. Just cell phone that is reliable to call and get calls and come out clear. Something that JUST WORKS WELL. Nothing fancy.

GIve me brand and model name please, and I'll go check it out after that.

PS: Reason why I ask is because their sooooooo much to choose from. If I can get advice, I'd appreciate it. I trust you guys more than some "seller" trying to get a sell or some random website trying to sell me something and trying to make it sound good.

Reply please.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:15 am
chris56789- What service provider are you using? I don't know if you know it, you can only use phones that are designed for use with a particular provider.

The service provider and the plan that you purchase can be just as iportant as the phone. You really need to go to the websites of the different providers, and see which one has a plan that suits you the best.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 04:28 am
Well, my I want to make calls from and to california and hawaii. I was wondering which cell phones and provider will do this and will work well? Any ideas?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:00 am
Well, you would have to buy a national plan. I have Cingular, and I checked their coverage map. They do have service in parts of Hawaii. I think that for your purposes, which is a little unusual, you need to go to the top providers, (I would suggest Verizon, Cingular and T-Mobile), and check out the differences in charges and coverage.

Ask a few questions, pick up some coverage maps, and check the different plans. You definitely want a plan that does not charge long distance or roaming. If you go to a large mall, you will probably find stands from all of these providers. Remember, you are just looking. Don't let anyone talk you into buying, until you are sure of what you want.

Once you decide on a provider and a plan that is most suitable for you, then you can think about what phone will suit you best. Remember , you usually have to sign a 1-2 year contract, so you need to choose carefully.
0 Replies