Blind, or seeing?

Ray

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:15 am
I've been thinking, if a person chooses to not pursue deeper knowledge, but yet he or she knows the necessary truth, is that person ignorant or is that person just aware that he or she knows what is necessary to know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 712 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:17 am
There's a whole passle of ambiguity there, Boss.

What constitutes deeper knowledge?

What constitutes necessary truth?

What is it necessary to know?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:22 am
Okay say, if a person chooses to not question the whole meaning of life thing that many of us have been asking over and over again...
But the person knows what is necessary to know (such as hey I'm in a planet and I'm not the only person alive and feeling things), and chooses to not pursue things like epistemology or the whole can of worms of metaphysics, or chooses to not read up on world politics and advanced science.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:24 am
I educate myself on things that interest me and things I think I should know and that's all I know :-)
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:34 am
I think that's wise.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:45 am
I'd say that the deepest knowledge is the knowledge that enables you to live a life of happiness. If your knowledge can sustain this happy life, then why strive for more knowledge?

Ignorance is bliss to the one who has no craving to end it. One doesn't need to know the solutions to every problem the world has ever faced. All that is needed is to know the solutions to the problems you are faced with.

But when it comes down to it I do not think the accumulation of knowledge is any more admirable than the accumulation of wealth. The process is still unfinished. One thing is to know a lot of things. To truly understand what you know is another thing entirely, wich many of our most respected schollars have all but neglected.

So knowledge is not a treasure in itself. It is the understanding of knowledge, the wisdom, wich is important, and the amount of wisdom a person has is in no way connected to the amount of knowledge in his head.
0 Replies

terrygallagher

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:56 am
Re: Blind, or seeing?
Ray wrote:
I've been thinking, if a person chooses to not pursue deeper knowledge, but yet he or she knows the necessary truth, is that person ignorant or is that person just aware that he or she knows what is necessary to know?

They're not ignorant, because if someone is pursuing "deeper knowledge" they don't actually know more than those not pursuing it, they just want to.

The meaning of life was mentioned, but searching for that is assuming there is one. Even if an individual finds "the meaning of life" they may be wrong, is it more ignorent to not know the capital of France or to "know" it's Bakino Faso?

People who don't purse deeper knowlage of a subject are probably just uninterested.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:08 pm
Terry, I think you're right.

Quote:
I'd say that the deepest knowledge is the knowledge that enables you to live a life of happiness. If your knowledge can sustain this happy life, then why strive for more knowledge?

To reach actuality and...
Because there are people here that matters as much as anyone else? I can't "ignore" the problems we have in this world. There are poverty, etc. Where would we have been if it had not been for those who sees a problem and determine to change it? I can not worry about the problems, but I can't ignore the problems.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:12 pm
Re: Blind, or seeing?
Ray wrote:

Facts, more facts, endless facts, abominable facts all.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 05:42 am
In conversations like this it is usually more fun to listen than to talk...
0 Replies