Despite of

Rox111

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 11:10 pm
Let me preface this by saying I asked this on a different forum and they told me that despite of is wrong. However, I am still confused because after stating in my question that I found one example on google that uses "despite of" in a sentence, they simply told me that I should look in a dictionary and not on google. I am pretty sure the example I saw was from a dictionary. Thats why I am asking here again.

Here is the exact question I asked them:

Can someone pls tell me whether or not the phrase "despite of" is correct? I already looked it up on google but the answers I found kind of contradicted each other. Others say it's not wrong while others say it is. I also saw an example of "despite of" being used in a sentence when I googled the phrase alone.

Here it is: "despite of its tranquility, this is not a dreary place"

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 350 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hightor

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 04:51 am
@Rox111,
"Despite of" is often used because people confuse it with "in spite of". In modern English, "despite" is preferred – as it is a preposition itself there is no need for "of".

"despite its tranquility, this is not a dreary place"
Mame

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 05:02 am
@Rox111,
It's completely wrong. Despite being hungry, Mary wouldn't eat her broccoli. Despite does not need a preposition.

Despite means "in spite of". "Despite of its tranquility, this is not a dreary place". We just wouldn't say the 'of'. I've never heard anyone say it and I certainly wouldn't.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/in-spite-of-vs-despite/

You could easily have found this, as I have, with a quick search. This is from the online Cambridge Dictionary:

Warning:
We don’t use a that-clause after in spite of or despite. We use in spite of the fact that or despite the fact that:

In spite of is written as three separate words. We never use of with despite:

They enjoyed the rides in spite of the long queues. (or … despite the long queues.)

Not: … inspite the long queues or … despite of the long queues.

Rox111

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 06:08 am
@Mame,
Oh, also found that. The only reason I became confused is because google's dictionary box provided an example of "despite of" being used in a sentence when I googled the phrase, which led me to believe that "despite of" is also acceptable.
Rox111

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 06:15 am
@Mame,
The example I've provided here was taken from the oxford english dictionary, I believe.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 06:36 am
@Rox111,
Quote:
...google's dictionary box provided an example of "despite of" being used in a sentence...

Blame it on Shakespeare:
Quote:
• "Grace is grace, despite of all controversy: as, for example, thou thyself art a wicked villain, despite of all grace." (Measure for Measure).

• "The scar that will, despite of cure, remain" (Rape of Lucrece).

• "Some good I mean to do, / Despite of mine own nature" (King Lear)

• "but my fair name, / Despite of death that lives upon my grave, / To dark dishonour's use thou shalt not have." (Richard II).

• "So thou through windows of thine age shall see / Despite of wrinkles this thy golden time." (Sonnet III).

• "Therefore, despite of fruitless chastity, / Love-lacking vestals and self-loving nuns, / That on the earth would breed a scarcity / And barren dearth of daughters and of sons, / Be prodigal" (Venus and Adonis).

• "For then despite of space I would be brought, / From limits far remote where thou dost stay." (Sonnet XLIV) source
Rox111

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 06:37 am
@hightor,
Thanks for the answer, but do you have any explanation why google's dictionary box provided this example? I kind of became confused because of it
hightor

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 06:46 am
@Rox111,
Because google isn't dedicated to rigorous rules of grammar. Its bots may have picked up usage of the word and added it to its database. Don't trust google completely – you're better off at a language site. Or getting help from Mame. Smile
Mame

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 07:13 am
@hightor,
ha! Didn't see your earlier response until now but it appears we agree, of course. English is a bugger of a language to wrap your head around.

We had a hailstorm last night. We had one a couple years ago that did millions in damage - sidings were ripped through people's houses, cars were smashed, gardens obviously obliterated. But, despite everything, people carried on. Last night we didn't get hit in our area but it was a close call. Apparently airplanes were seeding the clouds.
0 Replies

Rox111

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 08:43 am
@hightor,
I see. It is marked as obsolete now or something like that. Thanks for your answer!
0 Replies

Rox111

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 08:46 am
@hightor,
This cleared up the confusion. Thanks! I appreciate your help Smile
0 Replies