BIG BANG & AGES OF EARTH/UNIVERSE

rosborne979

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:11 pm
Re: Big Bang & Ages of Earth/Universe
algran wrote:
How does one convince a fundamentalist that science, using all the data it could gather, has "proven" the age of the universe? It seems that everything I tell him, he sloughs it off. Their must be some evidence I can provide that, in simple lay terms, will start leaning him in the way of science's many, many observations of the universe.

Thanks

You will probably have to start by describing science itself, and by acknowledging the boundaries of what science deals with.

Most fundamentalists reject science because they find the basic assumptions of science (naturalism) in conflict with their world view. You can't expect someone to respect the conclusions of science without first respecting (and understanding) science itself.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:31 pm
Re: Big Bang & Ages of Earth/Universe
rosborne979 wrote:
algran wrote:
How does one convince a fundamentalist that science, using all the data it could gather, has "proven" the age of the universe? It seems that everything I tell him, he sloughs it off. Their must be some evidence I can provide that, in simple lay terms, will start leaning him in the way of science's many, many observations of the universe.

Thanks

You will probably have to start by describing science itself, and by acknowledging the boundaries of what science deals with.

Most fundamentalists reject science because they find the basic assumptions of science (naturalism) in conflict with their world view. You can't expect someone to respect the conclusions of science without first respecting (and understanding) science itself.

I put the scientists and the fundamentalists in the same boat. They both overstate their own positions. The fundamentalists have got the edge because at least they have an identity and a topic to discuss, whereas 'science' is just a confusing general term for a type of western technological ethnocentrism.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:38 pm
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:
yitwail wrote:
Set, JJ seems to be a mind reader--example:

Quote:
If you think multiple worlds is stupid, which you do

when the party in question never mentioned multiple worlds--so perhaps he expects everyone to read his.

If it is a text on modern physics written for the public, then if it has not got multiple worlds, it has something else of equal value. If it's not a rabbit out of the hat, it might be a duck. Or do you think I should have proved which? Your typing is blurred.

My typing looks normal to me; perhaps your monitor needs adjustment. Regardless, it was remiss of you to introduce "multiple worlds" to the discussion without knowing whether the book in question even mentions the topic. But thank you for clarifying that in your opinion all texts on modern physics written for the public contain "stupid" passages. Would you care to provide some examples of "stupid" writing by either Brian Greene or Stephen Hawking, two prominent writers on physics for the public that I'm familiar with?

Most of what Hawking wrote was rubbish. It was a sideshow in the old cowboy/travelling salesman style, selling grandmother's elixir for bad luck and incontinence, before being kicked out of town. I am not fooled for a moment. Any popular work of science contains rubbish but his takes the biscuit. Even the title is rubbish- 'A brief History of Time'. Is he having us on?
It was not remiss of me to mention whether big boy Davies' book had multiple worlds in it or not. I am telling you it did. It should not make any difference to you or any other punter of popular science if it didn't because no-one would notice - a duck is as good as a rabbit to an awe-struck audience.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:40 pm
Quote:

I put the scientists and the fundamentalists in the same boat. They both overstate their own positions. The fundamentalists have got the edge because at least they have an identity and a topic to discuss, whereas 'science' is just a confusing general term for a type of western technological ethnocentrism.

That's funny.

When fundamentalists eradicate a deadly disease, put a man on the moon, master human flight or provide a way to communicate nearly instantaneously with people halfway across the world ... then you may have a point.

By the way, just what have the fundamentalists done for us?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

That's funny.

When fundamentalists eradicate a deadly disease, put a man on the moon, master human flight or provide a way to communicate nearly instantaneously with people halfway across the world ... then you may have a point.

By the way, just what have the fundamentalists done for us?

Lets keep things balanced. The 'scientists' whatever they are, but lets go along with it, have invented more diseases and are treating them (!), than the fundamentalists have eradicated.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:56 pm
You now descend into babbling.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:14 pm
Setanta wrote:
You now descend into babbling.

Thankyou for your inspired comments. Here is a link that might throw some light on the matter. philosophy today
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:24 pm
Your link in no wise supports a contention that science has invented diseases, nor that fundamentalists have eradicated a single one. Hence, you continue to babble.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
Your link in no wise supports a contention that science has invented diseases, nor that fundamentalists have eradicated a single one. Hence, you continue to babble.

isn't he just! and no sense of irony at all
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:46 pm
Vivien wrote:
Setanta wrote:

All of the mental illnesses and disorders are inventions. Science - whatever that is, let us just say 'people of this day and age' - has blind spots while continuing to point out the blind spots of fundamentalists. Who are the foremost fundamentalists? 'Scientists'.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:05 pm
John Jones wrote:
Most of what Hawking wrote was rubbish.

Such an ironic observation, coming from someone allegedly deficient in irony. Here's what Hawking himself said about adulation, in a 1993 Time magazine article:

Quote:
"No one can resist the idea of a crippled genius," Hawking says, with an edge of displeasure. He is not, as some have claimed, the second coming of Einstein, a characterization Hawking denounces as "rubbish . . . mere media hype."

That's a rather subtle method of self-promotion, if Hawking is the snake oil merchant you portray him to be.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Most of what Hawking wrote was rubbish.

Such an ironic observation, coming from someone allegedly deficient in irony. Here's what Hawking himself said about adulation, in a 1993 Time magazine article:

Ironic observation? that isn't irony it's stupidity

Cambridge Dictionary: Definition
irony (FIGURATIVE SPEECH) [Show phonetics]
noun
a means of expression which suggests a different, usually humorous or angry, meaning for the words used:
Her voice heavy with irony, Simone said, "We're so pleased you were able to stay so long." (= Her voice made it obvious they were not pleased).
Compare sarcasm.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:35 pm
John Jones wrote:
Vivien wrote:
Setanta wrote:

All of the mental illnesses and disorders are inventions. Science - whatever that is, let us just say 'people of this day and age' - has blind spots while continuing to point out the blind spots of fundamentalists. Who are the foremost fundamentalists? 'Scientists'.

more strange babbling Laughing
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:43 pm
Viv, i know what irony means. i suppose i should have called it a comment rather than an observation. anyway, i was pointing out an unintended irony, in the sense that an intended insult somewhat echoed what the target of the insult himself said. ;-)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:53 pm
Very Happy sorry!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:58 pm
no problem. i can use words loosely at times. on another occasion, someone else thought i didn't know what an oxymoron is. (the letters i underlined are a clue to the identity of that person, in case you're curious) ;-)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 04:16 pm
I don't recall that, but if you say, who am i to believe you . . . DOUBT YOU, that's what i meant, doubt you . . .
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
i don't doubt that in the least, coming from such an upright canine person.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 04:26 pm
Well, upright until the offer of a belly rub, at any event . . .
0 Replies

algran

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:06 pm
Big Bang & Ages of Earth/Universe
Balderdash!
0 Replies