BIG BANG & AGES OF EARTH/UNIVERSE

John Jones

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
yitwail wrote:
set, i'm afraid i'm out of my depth there. i prefer my food fairly bland, and my medication FDA approved.

I'm sorry, i didn't mean to bring up a topic which brings you pain. Which reminds me of an Edward Gorey poem . . .

To his club-footed son said Lord Stipple,
As he sipped his post-prandial tipple:
"Your mother's behavior
Gave pain to Our Savior,
And that's why he's made you a cripple."

I think we are all being very, very, naughty. Oh yes, I think we are.
Naughty people. Naughty mathematicians. Naughty botties. All hot pink botties ready for firm corrective disciplining?
Smack Smack Smack!
All hot pink botties now smacked, happy, and corrected.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:25 pm
OK, This might be fun...

John Jones wrote:

Science has been battered by most good philosphers. Scientists don't like to know about this, but rather are content to go on about how stupid religion is, which itself is stupid.

Science has not been battered by philosophers. Quite the contrary.

Our view of the Universe was shaped by philosophy before the scientific revolution (i.e. Kepler, Galileo, Newton etc.) Aristotle laid down a philosophical law of motion which was accepted without question or test and enforced by the Church. Galileo got into trouble for questioning this law of motion.

Under the philosophical view, there was the Earth and the "Heavens". The Earth was the center, and moon, stars and "wanderers" moved around the Earth in perfectly circular orbits.

Before Galileo, the heavens were divine and unreachable. Tell an educated philosopher before Galileo about travelling to the moon (let alone Mars) and you would have been laughed at.

But then the scientists came with their annoying need to question the philosophical axioms, and their nasty habit of using experiments to test assumptions.

Galileo got into big trouble for his assertion (based on observations through a telescope) that there were "moons" orbiting Saturn. Philosophers said that everying revolved around the Earth, and the church considered this heresy (which they enforced quite harshly).

Newton of course totally broke the philosophically derived views of Aristotle.

But the views of Galileo and Newton, the scientists who were willing to question and used experiment and evidence to get the answers, have been victorious. Why? Well very simple, this science based on these ideas put a man on the moon (a ridiculous idea according to tradition philosophy). They are the basis of airplanes and cars and elevators.

The simple fact is that Science provides answers, makes predictions and makes describes the Universe in useful ways better than philosophy ever could.

The last bastion of the traditional religious philosophy is a battle against Darwin. But this battle will be won in the same way... scientists are now using their practitcal knowledge of genetics and evolution to develop new cures, solve crimes and look back into our past.

Let me reiterate from the last thread. Science is very good at answering questions which can be precisely described and tested. There is a large set of questions that Science can't answer-- among these are the meaning of life, questions of morality or the existance of God.

But for the questions that are testable and deal with a concrete part of the Universe, science is the best way to get answers. Questions of how objects move, how life developes, properties of electrons and the nature of time are all scientific questions.

Science is always the best way to answer scientific questions.

Quote:

We map metaphysics onto arithmetic and call it mathematics. Mathematics then feeds back a prediction only when we translate the arithmetic back into the metaphysics as a prediction. It does not follow from a true prediction that the metaphysics of the prediction is found in the arithmetic. It should be intuitively clear that there are no metaphysical entities in arithmetic- neither time nor space are found there. This points to a contradiction in the idea that science is rational (as in arithmetic) and also based on observation (which is of a metaphysics).

Let's apply this to a practical example.

Newton used math to predict that an artificial object could be put into orbit around the Earth indefinitely without the need of any additional energy (except for the small amount that is needed to counteract friction). Furthermore, Newton (based on the results of math derived from experiment which by the way contradicted the philosophers) calculated the speed and the height of these objects.

Several hundred years later, science was proven right and now there are many such artificial objects.

How does this fact relate to your idea of metaphysics especially when Newton's ideas directly contradicted Aristotle (the philosopher).
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:36 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
OK, This might be fun...

John Jones wrote:

Science has been battered by most good philosphers. Scientists don't like to know about this, but rather are content to go on about how stupid religion is, which itself is stupid.

Science has not been battered by philosophers. Quite the contrary.

Our view of the Universe was shaped by philosophy before the scientific revolution (i.e. Kepler, Galileo, Newton etc.) Aristotle laid down a philosophical law of motion which was accepted without question or test and enforced by the Church. Galileo got into trouble for questioning this law of motion.

Under the philosophical view, there was the Earth and the "Heavens". The Earth was the center, and moon, stars and "wanderers" moved around the Earth in perfectly circular orbits.

Before Galileo, the heavens were divine and unreachable. Tell an educated philosopher before Galileo about travelling to the moon (let alone Mars) and you would have been laughed at.

But then the scientists came with their annoying need to question the philosophical axioms, and their nasty habit of using experiments to test assumptions.

Galileo got into big trouble for his assertion (based on observations through a telescope) that there were "moons" orbiting Saturn. Philosophers said that everying revolved around the Earth, and the church considered this heresy (which they enforced quite harshly).

Newton of course totally broke the philosophically derived views of Aristotle.

But the views of Galileo and Newton, the scientists who were willing to question and used experiment and evidence to get the answers, have been victorious. Why? Well very simple, this science based on these ideas put a man on the moon (a ridiculous idea according to tradition philosophy). They are the basis of airplanes and cars and elevators.

The simple fact is that Science provides answers, makes predictions and makes describes the Universe in useful ways better than philosophy ever could.

The last bastion of the traditional religious philosophy is a battle against Darwin. But this battle will be won in the same way... scientists are now using their practitcal knowledge of genetics and evolution to develop new cures, solve crimes and look back into our past.

Let me reiterate from the last thread. Science is very good at answering questions which can be precisely described and tested. There is a large set of questions that Science can't answer-- among these are the meaning of life, questions of morality or the existance of God.

But for the questions that are testable and deal with a concrete part of the Universe, science is the best way to get answers. Questions of how objects move, how life developes, properties of electrons and the nature of time are all scientific questions.

Science is always the best way to answer scientific questions.

Quote:

We map metaphysics onto arithmetic and call it mathematics. Mathematics then feeds back a prediction only when we translate the arithmetic back into the metaphysics as a prediction. It does not follow from a true prediction that the metaphysics of the prediction is found in the arithmetic. It should be intuitively clear that there are no metaphysical entities in arithmetic- neither time nor space are found there. This points to a contradiction in the idea that science is rational (as in arithmetic) and also based on observation (which is of a metaphysics).

Let's apply this to a practical example.

Newton used math to predict that an artificial object could be put into orbit around the Earth indefinitely without the need of any additional energy (except for the small amount that is needed to counteract friction). Furthermore, Newton (based on the results of math derived from experiment which by the way contradicted the philosophers) calculated the speed and the height of these objects.

Several hundred years later, science was proven right and now there are many such artificial objects.

How does this fact relate to your idea of metaphysics especially when Newton's ideas directly contradicted Aristotle (the philosopher).

To say that science existed in the past is western technological ethnocentrism. It's like a Brit who goes on holiday abroad and looks for restaurants that serve fish and chips.
I don't think there ever was a time when people had to apply western thought in order to do something or make something properly. I don't think Aristotle ever lost the ability to make practical conclusions.
I don't hold to the old idea of philosophy. I say that philosophy is the clarification of ideas and the examination of the foundations of disciplines. Science does not do that too well, and simply dedicates itself to preconceived acts of observation.
Today on the news a scientist claimed that dyslexia was not a condition. This is an example of good philosophy. He was ridiculed for it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:51 pm
yitwail wrote:
set, thank you for understanding, and for the heartwarming doggerel.

Well, of course it was doggerel, look at my picture, what would you expect?
0 Replies

g day

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:55 am
The best dating of our hubble sphere within the Universe (what fraction of it we can observe using e/m radiation, understanding the unfolding of spacetime itself is not bound by general relativity) place the age of the observable universe at 13.8 +/- 0.1 billion years.

This figure comes from dating Celphoid variables in remote galactix clusters at the edge of our observable horizon - so it quite accurate.

The age of the Earth is currently estimated as around 5 billion years.
0 Replies

algran

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:09 am
Big Bang & Ages of Earth/Universe
How does one convince a fundamentalist that science, using all the data it could gather, has "proven" the age of the universe? It seems that everything I tell him, he sloughs it off. Their must be some evidence I can provide that, in simple lay terms, will start leaning him in the way of science's many, many observations of the universe.

Thanks
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:19 am
Re: Big Bang & Ages of Earth/Universe
algran wrote:
How does one convince a fundamentalist that science, using all the data it could gather, has "proven" the age of the universe? It seems that everything I tell him, he sloughs it off. Their must be some evidence I can provide that, in simple lay terms, will start leaning him in the way of science's many, many observations of the universe.

Thanks

i don't think you can. he's convinced that the Bible is literally true. therefore, anything that contradicts his understanding of the Bible must be false, and any contrary evidence has to be interpreted in such a way that it's consistent with his Biblical literalism.

you could try arguing on Biblical grounds. for instance, there are passages in the Bible which state that a day is like a thousand days and a thousand days is like a day to the Deity. in that way, the six days of creation could take much longer than six 24 hour days. but i don't think too many people accept this interpretation.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:24 am
Re: Big Bang & Ages of Earth/Universe
algran wrote:

Thanks

You can't.

The very nature of being a fundamentalist is that they start with core beliefs about the Universe, and then interpret all of their observations based on these beliefs, which by definitition can't be questioned.

You can present the most convincing evidence in the most clear terms, they still won't change their core beliefs.

I suggest spending your time doing something more productive.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:44 am
yep, you'll never ever change someone's fixed ideas. Why bother to try?

I've just read a fascinating book, The Last Three Minutes by Paul Davies, where he speculates about the end of the universe - and so also talks about its origins.

It's fascinating. He talks about the changes in knowledge and opinions over recent years and some of the ideas and theories are like pure science fiction, yet are or could be science fact. The quantum physics goes whoosh over my head but you don't need to properly understand it to read the book.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:36 pm
Vivien wrote:

I've just read a fascinating book, The Last Three Minutes by Paul Davies, where he speculates about the end of the universe - and so also talks about its origins.

It's fascinating. He talks about the changes in knowledge and opinions over recent years and some of the ideas and theories are like pure science fiction, yet are or could be science fact. The quantum physics goes whoosh over my head but you don't need to properly understand it to read the book.

Paul Davies sounds like a science lager-lout. You ARE reading science fiction, but the author banked on you believing everything he said. Just like he claimed they did in the middle ages. It's sickening. Throw the book in the bin.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:24 am
John Jones wrote:
Vivien wrote:

Paul Davies sounds like a science lager-lout. You ARE reading science fiction, but the author banked on you believing everything he said. Just like he claimed they did in the middle ages. It's sickening. Throw the book in the bin.

you've read it? you understand quantum physics and know the answers and can refute his theories and the evidence backing them?

amazing

do explain
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:42 am
Vivien wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Vivien wrote:

you've read it? you understand quantum physics and know the answers and can refute his theories and the evidence backing them?

amazing

do explain

You obviously believe, hook line and sinker. Take nothing for granted. If you think multiple worlds is stupid, which you do, then in order for you to claim that it makes sense is either hypocricy or adulation.
Get your typing sorted out. It's a pain in the ars.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:43 am
Pain in the ars gratia artis?

What a hypocrit, never mind the obscurantists evasion of a substantive answer.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:01 am
Set, JJ seems to be a mind reader--example:

Quote:
If you think multiple worlds is stupid, which you do

when the party in question never mentioned multiple worlds--so perhaps he expects everyone to read his.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:32 am
BM
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:25 pm
yitwail wrote:

Quote:

when the party in question never mentioned multiple worlds--so perhaps he expects everyone to read his.

If it is a text on modern physics written for the public, then if it has not got multiple worlds, it has something else of equal value. If it's not a rabbit out of the hat, it might be a duck. Or do you think I should have proved which? Your typing is blurred.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
Pain in the ars gratia artis?

What a hypocrit, never mind the obscurantists evasion of a substantive answer.

Oh my God.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:42 pm
John Jones wrote:
yitwail wrote:

Quote:

If it is a text on modern physics written for the public, then if it has not got multiple worlds, it has something else of equal value. If it's not a rabbit out of the hat, it might be a duck. Or do you think I should have proved which? Your typing is blurred.

My typing looks normal to me; perhaps your monitor needs adjustment. Regardless, it was remiss of you to introduce "multiple worlds" to the discussion without knowing whether the book in question even mentions the topic. But thank you for clarifying that in your opinion all texts on modern physics written for the public contain "stupid" passages. Would you care to provide some examples of "stupid" writing by either Brian Greene or Stephen Hawking, two prominent writers on physics for the public that I'm familiar with?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:01 pm
John Jones wrote:
Vivien wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Vivien wrote:

amazing

do explain

You obviously believe, hook line and sinker. Take nothing for granted. If you think multiple worlds is stupid, which you do, then in order for you to claim that it makes sense is either hypocricy or adulation.
Get your typing sorted out. It's a pain in the ars.

Shocked that's a sweeping assumption about what I believe - and some very bad typing of your own and bad spelling too if we are being critical

I didn't claim it made sense or that I believed every word - merely that it was interesting - as he puts forward a lot of different theories it would be impossible to belive every word Laughing - but you would know this if you read it rather than blindly condemn it and other peoples opinions with a very childish vocabularly and limited imagination and even more limited knowledge.

The author, unlike you (with that spelling and vocabulary you surely can't be!), is a respected scientist putting forward ideas, some facts, discusses lots of unknown quantities that would affect results and has an open mind. I find that interesting, unlike your silly, empty headed, argumentative response.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:03 pm
Re: BIG BANG & AGES OF EARTH/UNIVERSE
algran wrote:
Has modern science proven the ages of the earth and universe? How about the Big Bang? What do I say to a friend that is convinced the earth is no older than 10,000 years old?

In as much as we can "know" anything, we know that the Earth is older than 10,000 years (much older).

It's likely that there's nothing you can say to your friend to convince them any differently than they choose to believe.
0 Replies