what is the best moral system

bloodcam2000

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:59 am
perhaps a systemless aproach to morality is key.

in my opinion moral systems are one of two things.

Either a system of self hatred that imposes suffering on the individual, in order for those in power to control that individual.

or
it is just a rationalization of our own good natures.

either way, i say examine what is underneath morality, as that is more interesting.
0 Replies

terrygallagher

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:42 am
I think the key to morality is understanding how your actions affect others. Balancing your id, ego, superego, making a morally good decition when the devel on one shoulder tells you something and the angel on the other tells you something else. There's no moral code needed, just a willigness to not be a selfish git.

On the point about tourism and air travel...

Air travel has negative effects on the enviroment, to ingnore this is immoral.

However to ban it completly would effect the tourism of a nation and therefore it's ecconomy, to ignore this is also immoral.

People don't go on holiday, though, to help the country they are visiting, they do it to get a sun tan or seen new things or something, but the main drive is to do something they enjoy. To say that it helps the people of the country visited is just an attempt to justify the problems it cause to other people, so they can have a guilt free trip.

However to just ban air travel on the basis of morality is wrong, there are many other things that could be done.

More money should be invested in creating new power sources for transporation. The real immorality in this situation lies with the travel industry for holding goverments to ransom over tax breakes and for doing nothing more with their profits than putting them in a bank and goverments who let them get away with all this skulldugery.

Until then Bali should be trying to build an ecconamy that does not rely on tourism as they are ignoring the moral implications of the air travel their tourism is based on has on people around the world and future generations.

Personnally I will not be traveling by plane any time soon.
0 Replies