Shaping the World in 2024

hightor

Mon 12 Feb, 2024 12:13 pm
Tucker Carlson Met with Joe Biden’s Rape Victim Tara Reade and NSA Whistleblower Edward Snowden While in Moscow

Quote:
On February 5th Citizen Free Press noted that Tucker Carlson may also interview Edward Snowden and Biden rape accuser Tara Reade while in Moscow.

Tucker spotted in Moscow, again.

He is likely trying to interview both Putin and Edward Snowden while he is in Moscow. Tara Reade is also living in Russia.pic.twitter.com/iLCcSzFzxx

— Citizen Free Press (@CitizenFreePres) February 5, 2024

Semafor reported on this earlier.

Tucker Carlson has kept a busy agenda in Moscow, meeting with two key American figures living in exile there.

The former Fox News host met for hours Thursday with the NSA leaker Edward Snowden, Semafor has learned. While the former NSA whistleblower was a regular figure in the press in the years after he fled to Russia, he has largely receded from public appearances in recent years, citing the desire for wanted greater privacy for his family.

The Snowden interview was not for Carlson’s video program, but he did tape an interview with Tara Reade, a former junior Senate aide who decades later accused President Joe Biden of sexual assault (an allegation he denied). Reade moved to Russia last year after several years of increasingly speaking out in support of pro-Russian policies. In 2022, the Russian delegation to the United Nations called her to speak in 2022 on “weapons diversion,” and hosted Russia’s Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations on her YouTube channel. When she made her allegations in 2020, Carlson stood out on the right for his skepticism.

The Independent also reported on this development.

Tucker Carlson met with NSA leaker Edward Snowden while in Moscow, according to Semafor.

The former whistleblower featured heavily in Russian media before seeking more privacy in his family life.

Mr Snowden was initially granted asylum in Russia in 2013 after leaking a trove of classified National Security Agency (NSA) documents, and then was granted permanent resident status in Russia in 2020. That year, he announced his decision to seek duel citizenship, stating in a tweet that “after years of separation from our parents, my wife and I have no desire to be separated from our son.”

Carlson reportedly met Snowden for hours, but the meeting was not for his video programme, the outlet noted.

But Carlson did record an interview with Tara Reade, a former Senate aide who later accused President Joe Biden of sexual assault, which he has denied.

0 Replies

hightor

Mon 12 Feb, 2024 12:34 pm
Ohio House approves bill requiring capitalism to be taught in high school financial literacy
Lash

Mon 12 Feb, 2024 01:55 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/eu-s-borrell-suggests-us-stop-arming-israel-amid-fears-over-rafah-assault/ar-BB1iaOri

EU’s Borrell suggests US stop arming Israel amid fears over Rafah assault

European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell has urged allies of Israel, primarily the United States, to stop sending it weapons as “too many people” are being killed in Gaza.

Pointing to US President Joe Biden’s comment last week that Israel’s military action was “over the top”, Borrell said on Monday: “Well, if you believe that too many people are being killed, maybe you should provide less arms in order to prevent so many people having been killed.”

“Is [it] not logical?” he asked, in a Brussels news conference alongside Philippe Lazzarini, head of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), who is Israel is pressuring to resign.

“How many times have you heard the most prominent leaders and foreign ministers around the world saying too many people are being killed?” Borrell asked. “If the international community believes that this is a slaughter, that too many people are being killed, maybe we have to think about the provision of arms,” Borrell added.

The chief EU diplomat also slammed an order by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that the more than one million Palestinians sheltering in the Gaza city of Rafah need to be “evacuated” ahead of a planned Israeli military operation there.

“They are going to evacuate – where? To the moon? Where are they going to evacuate these people?” Borrell asked.

This is not the first time Borrell expressed concerned over an invasion of the southern Gaza city of Rafah. On Sunday, he said an assault there “would lead to an unspeakable humanitarian catastrophe” and grave tensions with neighbouring Egypt.

Rafah incursion ‘terrifying’
Former Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis said European countries share responsibility for the atrocities being committed in Gaza.

“We Europeans created the problem … we are playing a vicious role, in its perpetuation,” Varoufakis told Al Jazeera.

The former finance minister accused Borrell of hypocrisy for saying not enough pressure was being applied on Israel, asserting that the EU was “collectively arming” Israel.

“As we speak, Germany, France, [and] Italy are sending the armaments that are being used in Rafah to kill people,” Varoufakis added.

His latest comments came as dozens were killed in Israeli air strikes on Rafah, according to Palestinian health officials, as people there brace for a major offensive on the densely crowded urban area.

Meanwhile, Volker Turk, the UN’s human rights chief, has also expressed alarm over an anticipated Israeli ground assault on Rafah.

Turk said it is “wholly imaginable what would lie ahead” if the planned incursion is not stopped.

“A potential full-fledged military incursion into Rafah, where some 1.5 million Palestinians are packed against the Egyptian border with nowhere further to flee, is terrifying, given the prospect that an extremely high number of civilians, again mostly children and women, will likely be killed and injured,” Turk said in a statement.

Rights groups have also warned that a full-scale assault on Rafah, the last relatively safe area of the enclave, would result in significant civilian casualties.

More than half the population of Gaza has crowded into Rafah to escape Israeli bombardment, which has reduced much of the rest of the Gaza Strip to ruins.

Most of those in Rafah were displaced by Israeli offensives in northern, central, and eastern Gaza.

Hamas, the Palestinian group that governs Gaza, has warned Israel that a ground offensive in Rafah would jeopardise negotiations on a truce and the exchange of captives and prisoners.

More than 28,340 people, mostly women and children, have been killed in the Israeli assault on Gaza since October, according to Palestinian authorities. The relentless Israeli bombardment and ground offensive have displaced more than 80 percent of the population, according to aid agencies, and reduced much of the territory to rubble.

Israel launched its war on Gaza after Hamas carried out a surprise attack on southern Israel on October 7, killing at least 1,139 people, mostly civilians, according to an Al Jazeera tally based on official Israeli figures.

Lash

Mon 12 Feb, 2024 01:59 pm
@hightor,
If they'd also teach general introductions to Marxism and Communism, I think this would be a plus.

Hope it's not biased.
hightor

Mon 12 Feb, 2024 02:47 pm
@Lash,
I suspect it's for indoctrination, pure and simple.
roger

Mon 12 Feb, 2024 03:44 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Izzy, are you really a Taylor Swift fan? You enjoy her music?

I don't know about her singing, but I do kind of like to look at her.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 12 Feb, 2024 03:51 pm
@hightor,
(nods)
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 12 Feb, 2024 05:25 pm
A Twitter post

NEW: Tucker Carlson says Moscow, Russia is "nicer than any city" in the United States during a speech in Dubai.

Here comes the media meltdown round 2.

Tucker says traveling to other countries over the past week has been "radicalizing" for him.

"What was radicalizing, very shocking and very disturbing for me was the city of Moscow, where I'd never been, the biggest city in Europe... is so much nicer than any city in my country. I had no idea."

"If you can't use your subway, for example, as many people are afraid to in New York City because it's too dangerous, you have to sort of wonder like, isn't that the ultimate measure of leadership?"

"It's radicalizing for an American to go to Moscow. I didn't know that. I've learned it this week, to Singapore, to Tokyo, to Dubai and Abu Dhabi, because these cities, no matter how we're told they're run and on what principles they're run, are wonderful places to live that don't have rampant inflation."

I saw Carlson sit for an interview, I think in Abu Dhabi, where I heard him say this. The radicalization of Tucker Carlson has been fun to watch. I’m enjoying the benefits.

Of course, I’d like to see what he thinks of how the women are treated in Dubai, Abu Dhabi…. I guess that’s next week’s lesson.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 16 Feb, 2024 03:08 pm
MSNBC
“Putin killed Navalny”
https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/michael-mcfaul-putin-killed-navalny-let-s-be-crystal-clear-about-that-204340805665
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 16 Feb, 2024 03:11 pm
“Putin killed Navalny; give me more money for war”
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4472703-biden-putin-navalny-death-house-ukraine-russia/amp/
bobsal u1553115

Fri 16 Feb, 2024 04:25 pm
@Lash,
And?
Lash

Fri 16 Feb, 2024 06:12 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Someone asked me for proof that Putin was being directly accused of killing Navalny.

So, I gave proof.
Lash

Fri 16 Feb, 2024 06:22 pm
https://consortiumnews.com/2024/02/15/how-the-cia-destabilizes-the-world/

How the CIA Destabilizes the World
February 15, 2024

Jeffrey Sachs regrets that the C.I.A.’s rogue operations did not end after the crimes exposed by the 1975 Church Committee.

By Jeffrey D. Sachs
Common Dreams

There are three basic problems with the C.I.A.: its objectives, methods and unaccountability.

Its operational objectives are whatever the C.I.A. or the president of the United States defines to be in the U.S. interest at a given time, irrespective of international law or U.S. law.

Its methods are secretive and duplicitous.

Its unaccountability means that the C.I.A. and president run foreign policy without any public scrutiny. Congress is a doormat, a sideshow.

As a recent C.I.A. director, Mike Pompeo, said of his time at the C.I.A.:

“I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole. We had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment.”

The C.I.A. was established in 1947 as the successor to the Office of Strategic Services (OSS). The OSS had performed two distinct roles in World War II, intelligence and subversion. The C.I.A. took over both roles.

On the one hand, the C.I.A. was to provide intelligence to the U.S. government. On the other, the C.I.A. was to subvert the “enemy,” that is, whomever the president or C.I.A. defined as the enemy, using a wide range of measures: assassinations, coups, staged unrest, arming of insurgents, and other means.

It is the latter role that has proved devastating to global stability and the U.S. rule of law. It is a role that the C.I.A. continues to pursue today. In effect, the C.I.A. is a secret army of the U.S., capable of creating mayhem across the world with no accountability whatsoever.

When President Dwight Eisenhower decided that Africa’s rising political star, democratically-elected Patrice Lumumba of Congo was the “enemy,” the C.I.A. conspired in his 1961 assassination, thus undermining the democratic hopes for Africa. He would hardly be the last African president brought down by the C.I.A.

(picture appearing in the article described below)
Lumumba in Brussels for a conference in 1960 with other members of the Congolese National Movement delegation. (Harry Pot, Anefo, CC0, Wikimedia Commons)

In its 77-year history, the C.I.A. has been held to serious public account just once, in 1975. In that year, Idaho Sen. Frank Church led a Senate investigation that exposed the C.I.A.’s rampage of assassinations, coups, destabilization, surveillance and Mengele-style torture and medical “experiments.”

[Related: The US Press, Spooks & the Church Committee

The exposé by the Church Committee of the C.I.A.’s shocking malfeasance has recently been chronicled in a superb book by the investigative reporter James Risen, The Last Honest Man: The C.I.A., the FBI, the Mafia, and the Kennedys ? and One Senator’s Fight to Save Democracy.

That single episode of oversight occurred because of a rare confluence of events.

In the year before the Church Committee, the Watergate scandal had toppled Richard Nixon and weakened the White House. As successor to Nixon, Gerald Ford was unelected, a former congressman and reluctant to oppose the oversight prerogatives of the Congress.

The Watergate scandal, investigated by the Senate Ervin Committee, had also empowered the Senate and demonstrated the value of Senate oversight of executive branch abuses of power. Crucially, the C.I.A. was newly led by Director William Colby, who wanted to clean up the C.I.A. operations. Also, F.B.I. Director J. Edgar Hoover, author of pervasive illegalities also exposed by the Church committee, had died in 1972.

Hersh Exposes CIA Ops Against Antiwar Movement

In December 1974, investigative reporter Seymour Hersh, then as now a great reporter with sources inside the C.I.A., published an account of illegal C.I.A. intelligence operations against the U.S. anti-war movement.

The Senate Majority Leader at the time, Mike Mansfield, a leader of character, then appointed Church to investigate the C.I.A. Church himself was a brave, honest, intelligent, independent-minded, and intrepid senator, characteristics chronically in short supply in U.S. politics.

If only the C.I.A.’s rogue operations had been consigned to history as a result of the crimes exposed by the Church Committee, or at the least had brought the C.I.A. under the rule of law and public accountability. But that was not to be.

The C.I.A. has had the last laugh — or better said, has brought the world to tears —by maintaining its preeminent role in U.S. foreign policy, including overseas subversion.

Since 1975, the C.I.A. has run secretive operations backing Islamic jihadists in Afghanistan that utterly wrecked Afghanistan while giving rise to Al-Qaeda.

The C.I.A. has likely run secretive operations in the Balkans against Serbia, in the Caucuses against Russia and in Central Asia targeting China, all deploying C.I.A.-backed jihadists.

In the 2010s, the C.I.A. ran deadly operations to topple Syria’s Bashar al-Assad, again with Islamist jihadists.

For at least 20 years, the C.I.A. has been deeply involved in fomenting the growing catastrophe in Ukraine, including the violent overthrow of Ukraine’s President Viktor Yanukovych in February 2014 that triggered the devastating war now engulfing Ukraine.

[C.I.A. has been involved in Ukraine from 1948 with operation CARTEL, later called AERODYNAMIC. See: “On the Influence of Neo-Nazism in Ukraine”]

What do we know of these operations? Only the parts that whistleblowers, a few intrepid investigative reporters, a handful of brave scholars and some foreign governments have been willing or able to tell us, with all of these potential witnesses knowing that they might face severe retribution from the U.S. government.

No Restraint

There has been little-to-no accountability by the U.S. government itself, or meaningful oversight or restraint imposed by Congress. On the contrary, the government has become ever-more obsessively secretive, pursuing aggressive legal actions against disclosures of classified information, even when, or especially when, that information describes the illegal actions by the government itself.

Once in a while, a former U.S. official spills the beans, such as when Zbigniew Brzezinski revealed that he had induced Jimmy Carter to assign the C.I.A. to train Islamic jihadists to destabilize the government of Afghanistan, with the aim of inducing the Soviet Union to invade that country.

(picture in the article described below)
National Security Advisor Brzezinski, on left of those standing, with Carter during a tour of Strategic Air Command’s headquarters in Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska, October 1977. (U.S. Air Force, Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 4.0)

In the case of Syria, we learned from a few stories in The New York Times in 2016 and 2017 of the C.I.A.’s subversive operations to destabilize Syria and overthrow Assad, as ordered by President Barack Obama.

Here is the case of a dreadfully misguided C.I.A. operation, blatantly in violation of international law, that has led to a decade of mayhem, an escalating regional war, hundreds of thousands of deaths, and millions of displaced people, and yet there has not been a single honest acknowledgment of this C.I.A.-led disaster by the White House or Congress.

Major Covert Role in Ukraine

In the case of Ukraine, we know that the U.S. played a major covert role in the violent coup that brought down Yanukovych and that swept Ukraine into a decade of bloodshed but to this day, we don’t know the details.

Russia offered the world a window into the coup by intercepting and then posting a call between Victoria Nuland, then U.S. assistant secretary of state (now under-secretary of state) and U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt (now assistant secretary of state), in which they plot the post-coup government.

Following the coup, the C.I.A. covertly trained special operations forces of the post-coup regime the U.S. had helped bring to power. The U.S. government has been mum about the C.I.A.’s covert operations in Ukraine.

(picture in the article described below)
June 2014: Ukraine’s post-coup President Petro Poroshenko, Pyatt and Nuland meeting in Warsaw. Then Secretary of State John Kerry, in background on right. (State Department)

We have good reason to believe that C.I.A. operatives carried out the destruction of the Nord Stream pipeline, as per Seymour Hersh, who is now an independent reporter. Unlike in 1975, when Hersh was with The New York Times at a time when the paper still tried to hold the government to account, the Times does not even deign to look into Hersh’s account.

[See: Seymour Hersh Accuses US of Nord Stream ‘Cover Up’]

Holding the C.I.A. to public account is of course a steep uphill struggle. Presidents and the Congress don’t even try. The mainstream media don’t investigate the C.I.A., preferring instead to quote “senior unnamed officials” and the official cover-up. Are the mainstream media outlets lazy, suborned, afraid of advertising revenues from the military-industrial complex, threatened, ignorant, or all of the above? Who knows.

There is a tiny glimmer of hope. Back in 1975, the C.I.A. was led by a reformer. Today, the C.I.A. is led by William Burns, one of America’s long-standing leading diplomats. Burns knows the truth about Ukraine, since he served as ambassador to Russia in 2008 and cabled Washington about the grave error of pushing NATO enlargement to Ukraine. Given Burns’ stature and diplomatic accomplishments, perhaps he would support the urgently needed accountability.

The extent of the continuing mayhem resulting from C.I.A. operations gone awry is astounding. In Afghanistan, Haiti, Syria, Venezuela, Kosovo, Ukraine, and far beyond, the needless deaths, instability, and destruction unleashed by C.I.A. subversion continues to this day. The mainstream media, academic institutions, and Congress should be investigating these operations to the best of their ability and demanding the release of documents to enable democratic accountability.

Next year is the 50th anniversary of the Church Committee hearings. Fifty years on, with the precedent, inspiration, and guidance of the Church Committee itself, it’s urgently time to open the blinds, expose the truth about the U.S.-led mayhem and begin a new era in which U.S. foreign policy becomes transparent, accountable, subject to the rule of law both domestic and international, and directed towards global peace rather than subversion of supposed enemies.

Jeffrey D. Sachs is a university professor and director of the Center for Sustainable Development at Columbia University, where he directed The Earth Institute from 2002 until 2016. He is also president of the U.N. Sustainable Development Solutions Network and a commissioner of the UN Broadband Commission for Development.

This article is from Common Dreams.

Views expressed in this article and may or may not reflect those of Consortium News.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 16 Feb, 2024 08:17 pm
Bernie Sanders, former truthtelling progressive, tries to shy away from calling a genocide by its name in Ireland.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Dc20kBbKPvA?si=xTX7hygoCYFkF-c7
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 16 Feb, 2024 08:44 pm
Twitter post:

Aaron Maté

@aaronjmate
What @McFaul says here is a joke. Navalny was a marginal opposition figure who polled at around 2%. Putin didn't fear him; it served Putin to have him seen in the West as his main opposition.

The Russian gov't meanwhile has just barred anti-war candidate Boris Nadezhdin. A Russian court has also issued a draconian prison sentence to anti-war sociologist Boris Kagarlitsky.

We don't hear about people like Nadezhdin and Kagarlitsky in the West nearly as much for one reason: unlike Navalny, they don't collaborate with Western governments. Navalny worked with NATO intel cutout Bellingcat and went through the "Yale World Fellow" program, a regime change training ground.

For this reason, we also don't hear that Navalny was an unrepentant xenophobe who compared Muslim immigrants to cockroaches and rotten teeth. (https://theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/08/amnesty-international-employee-sacked-alexei-navalny…)

His death is a tragedy. He was undoubtedly mistreated. But because he served US interests, US state media will make him into someone he was not.

And just compare their fawning coverage to their silence on, or even support for, the ongoing persecution of Julian Assange.

Or their complete silence on the mistreatment and death of US citizen Gonzalo Lira in Ukrainian custody -- universally ignored in US media.

@Morning_Joe
·
13h
"Putin killed Navalny. Let's be crystal clear about that... Putin killed Navalny because he was the one opposition leader in Russia that Putin feared the most."

Real Music

Fri 16 Feb, 2024 10:12 pm
Published February 16, 2024

0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 17 Feb, 2024 04:13 am
Aaron Mate works for a pro China, Syria and Russia propaganda site that denies the mistreatment of Uighurs in China.

It's a tool of dictatotors.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 17 Feb, 2024 05:09 am
@izzythepush,
He mainly writes for The Grayzone, which is "known for its critical coverage of American foreign policy, misleading reporting, and sympathetic coverage of authoritarian regimes".

Lash wrote:
Twitter post:

Aaron Maté

@aaronjmate
What @McFaul says here is a joke. Navalny was a marginal opposition figure who polled at around 2%.

Quote:
Russia's diplomatic mission to the EU last month quoted a previous survey putting Navalny's popularity at only 2% and commented that it would make no sense for Moscow to have poisoned a political opponent with so little support.
Reuters
Quote:
One-fifth of Russians now approve of poisoned Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny, according to an opinion poll published on Friday, a figure more than twice as high as a year ago but one accompanied by a doubling of disapproval of his activities.
[...]
According to the poll by the Levada Centre, conducted in late September, 20% of respondents approve of Navalny's activities, while 50% do not. In 2019, his approval rating was 9%, but the percentage of those who disapproved of him was also lower, at 25%.
Of those who had heard about Navalny's poisoning, 55% said they did not believe it was a deliberate act.
(Same source as above)
hightor

Sat 17 Feb, 2024 05:35 am
@Lash,
Quote:
With the West’s administration-adjacent news speakers already claiming Putin had him murdered, makes reasonable people wonder exactly what happened.

I was hoping that you'd found an example to back up this claim.

Quote:
“Reports of his death, if they’re true, and I have no reasons to believe they’re not — Russian authorities are going to tell their own story,” Biden said in remarks from the White House.

“But make no mistake: Putin is responsible for Navalny’s death. Putin is responsible. What has happened to Navalny is yet more proof of Putin’s brutality. No one should be fooled,” he continued.

The president said the U.S. does not know exactly what happened to Navalny, but his death “was a consequence of something that Putin and his thugs did.”

If that's the best you can do, thanks, but as I said in the other thread, statements like the one above aren't quite the same as directly accusing Putin of ordering Navalny's death. It's very likely that he did, but I haven't seen "the West’s administration-adjacent news speakers already claiming Putin had him murdered". Nor do I see evidence that "reasonable people wonder exactly what happened" – the man died in a Russian prison. Enough said. I think what made Navalny so effective was his way of injecting humor into his charges. Autocrats really hate being laughed at.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 17 Feb, 2024 08:45 am
President Obama on Navalny

Aleksey Navalny was a fearless advocate for his beliefs who died unbroken by the tyranny he opposed. He fought corruption, inspired millions and never wavered in his insistence on free expression, the rule of law, and a Russia that is accountable to the people and not a dictator. He died in unyielding defense of his vision of a better future for his country - a vision, and a courageous example, that will never die.
0 Replies