Will Ye Come To The War

Tommy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 02:45 pm
I thought you might be interested in a few observations that I would like to share; a few points from my own experience; some bits and pieces taken from various newspapers and some bits of information from friends now participating Rumsfeld's Ructions.

Lance Corporal of Horse Steven Gerrard of the Household Cavalry: "I am trained for combat. I can command my vehicle (armoured Recon Vehicle). I can keep it from being attacked. But what I have not been particularly well trained for is to look over my shoulder to see whether some American is shooting at me".

Trooper Woodgate of the Household Cavalry was the only soldier to escape unhurt in an attack by a US A 10 tankbuster aircraft. Trooper Matty Hull died when a US pilot attacked their convoy despite a well displayed Union Flag.

The US Secretary of Defence repeatedly rejected the advice of the Armed Forces that more troops were need in Iraq.

The US and UK at War. The UK are annoyed that President Bush has awarded the American Stevedoring Company of Seattle the contract to operate the Port of Umm Quasr.

Why did Turkey refuse the US means of presecuting the war from the North? Not enough Baksheesh? I don't think so. Germany and France will never allow Turkey into the EU if they support the US.

Because the US/UK failed to do what they said they would - the Iraqi Regime is claiming a Victory.

The War Planners forgot that old adage "Know your Enemy". The Middle East has a (recent) history of suicide bombings. This wasn't fed into the war games scenario.

Two British Servicemen were sent home from the Gulf after refusing to fight because they believed their actions would involve killing innicent Iraqi civilians. They will probably be courtmartialled.

Will US/UK Forces actions in Iraq alienate Iraqis and lose the "Hearts and Minds" attempts by the US and the Brits?

Don't menyion the "V" word. But will this stalled war, which was going to be over in "a few days" turn into a mini-Vietnam?

Are the Troops running out of ammunition?

Are thousands of foreigners joining the "Jihad"?

Will Iraq turn into another West Bank and Gaza Strip?

Do you, as the Iraqis do, see the Brits and the US as occupation Forces rather than liberation forces?

After all it is the intention of the United States to re-build Iraq (after razing it) using Iraqi Oil.

Well, two weeks ago it was dead easy (no pun). Overwhelming Military Force, a welcoming population and incompetent Iraqi command structure.

And Today? Not so easy. Not so overwhelming Military Force and a far from incompetent Iraqi command and a population that see the US/UK as conquerors and not liberators.

There is no moral hight ground in any war no matter what caused it and even now can we say with hand on heart that:

Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction?

That Saddam Hussein has links with Al-Quaida?

That Iraq was involved in Sep 11?

Ah well, its all moot now anyway. President Bush has allowed Donald Rumsfeld to make too many mistakes in his name, "Hearts and Minds" will now never be won and Saddam Hussein has won the propaganda war.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,492 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:39 pm
Tommy you have pretty well summed up this debacle for all of us. But just one question - how do you think the Yanks will do having to fight a war with out air conditioning? It seems ironic that it is the Brits who shine in this war. The smallest force is given the toughest battle. The one to win the hearts and minds of the Iraqis.
0 Replies

Docent P

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 11:00 pm
>Because the US/UK failed to do what they said they would - the Iraqi Regime is claiming a Victory.

If you have forgotten this regime claimed a victory in 1991. There are still many guys (including educated civilizated Westerners, mostly leftists) who are sure that the Americans failed in Iraq 1991, Bosnia 1995, Kosovo 1999, Afghanistan 2002 and and are being defeated now. Let them be happy alone.

>But will this stalled war, which was going to be over in "a few days" turn into a mini-Vietnam?

It's especially ridiculous since Vietnam was lost only because of American leftists' actions, who were working under the careful North Vietnamese Intelligence's guidance (so called Dich Van campaign). Now Hussein wishes to make a new Vietnam (as he said himself) - in other words to attack America on it's inner front using American Leftists as strike forces. And the Leftists themselves are warning about it! If I were an American I would answer: thank you, Dear Comrades, we will be careful then Laughing .

>Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction?

Colin Powell insisted it in the UN summmit and none of Russian, French, Chinese, German etc. envoys called him a liar - either all of them are American puppets or it was true.

>That Saddam Hussein has links with Al-Quaida?

Yes, he does. As we know the attack on DDG Cole was conducted by some Al-Qaeda group. The explosives were delivered from Iraq by their special services. The link is direct and too evident to be denied.

>That Iraq was involved in Sep 11?

No. It COULD be but now there are no strong evidences. But his involvement to the stike on Cole is widely known. Of course, from the statistical (leftists' favourite) point of view 911 was far more terrible than killing only 14 American mariners. But from the normal human's position (not spoiled by Marxist bullsh*t) EVERY death accident is EQUALLY TERRIBLE independently of the number of victims. By the way it was a direct unprovoked Iraq's agression against America. Any agression, whether it is directed on Pearl-Harbor, Maddox or Cole, must be responded.

>"Hearts and Minds" will now never be won and Saddam Hussein has won the propaganda war.

"Hearts and Minds" would never be won if the Americans had remained on the Iraqi borders. BTW the main subject of Iraqi propaganda is: "Now the US are going to leave you again, dear opposers. Do you remember 1991 when you were so hoping? We will always agree with Americans, they need only oil - after they got it they will be indifferent to the population. See how many pacifists are there. Anyway the pacifists will force their Army to leave Iraq anyway if even we have lost every battle. And when Yanky have gone home we will deal with everybody who will have demonstrated not enough loyality like we did with Kurds' and Basra's rebellion in spring 1991. They were also hoping for American help. And what happened with their hopes?" - Really such analogies are the key factor why the Iraqis are afraid to join the Americans.

Not the American military actions but the so called anti-war criticism being broadcasted by Iraqi propagandists can provide the failure in the war for Heart and Minds.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 11:03 pm
Or they didn't want to commit to an answer so publicly.
0 Replies