0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 03:16 pm
<COUGH>
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 03:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
Oh great, now ya got the peanut gallery from the Great White North involved . . . it was bad enough when this wreck drifted into the antipodes . . .

I was just looking in to see if Chatty Cathy was here Cool
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 04:19 pm
DARE I ask?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:25 pm
So long as you ask with the courtesy and decorum appropriate to a discriminating venue such as this, YOU CAN ASK ANY DAMNED THING YOU LIKE ! ! !
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:28 pm
Re: THIS AIN'T NO STEENKIN' CHAT ROOM . . .
Setanta wrote:
....Many are impersonal, or worse, cliquish. AFUZZ had its cliques, and it had a huge amount of anonymity, which meant that some people felt left out, and others took the opportunity to flame others with wanton abandon. A lot of people there were concerned with getting stars or green text, and not that focused on the "interaction."

<edit>

This place has the broadest range of discussion i've found anywhere. By and large, the people here are nice folks who take the time and trouble to care about their fellow members.

What do you like best about this site? Obviously, i like the fact that there really is community here, and it is, mostly, non-exclusionary (that's just a caveat in case some do feel excluded--i've not noticed it).

Well, I would agree that for the most part this forum is a nice community - to a point - and people generally aren't excluded - again to a point. That doesn't mean that I feel that this forum is without problems.

In my opinion, there's nothing more frusterating than having a fairly interesting topic and hardly anybody will bother to read it - never mind make any on-topic comments. It doesn't really encourage one to come up with decent stuff to post.

If one studies the board, only certain people will start "serious topics" to discuss. The rest may possibly wander in and post some follow-up. That doesn't mean, by the way, that "fluffy topics" don't have their place, too. It's fun to have a mixture. Each to their own, etc.

To get replies to one's posts, it helps to be "popular" here, and also if you've been a long-time member. So, depending who you are, you're guaranteed to get replies no matter what you post.

Other than that, this is a great place.

And, no, if this was just a chat room, I wouldn't be here.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:41 pm
Re: THIS AIN'T NO STEENKIN' CHAT ROOM . . .
Reyn wrote:

In my opinion, there's nothing more frusterating than having a fairly interesting topic and hardly anybody will bother to read it - never mind make any on-topic comments. It doesn't really encourage one to come up with decent stuff to post.

while it's nice to have a post recognized, information for informations sake is a worthwhile effort

in books i posted a link to a cbc radio call in show listing an archive of their summer reading lists as composed by listners, the last time i saw the post some 20 people had viewed it and not one response, a problem no, maybe somebody found a new favourite book on one of the lists, maybe everybody said, what the f**k is this crap, all i know is, the next time i have a list like that or any other post i feel worth posting, i'm gonna post it response or not
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:09 pm
Oh, I 100% agree with you with what you say. I will persist in what I do no matter what. It's just that it is some times frusterating when no one will even read it. Heck, I dream of "20 views"! Laughing
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:14 pm
i've had my share of 0"s too
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 02:14 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Just found this

Set

thank you for starting this thread

am leaving now on a slow train to St Columb Major

hasta la pasty

oooh I once lived there! beautiful area <sigh>

it's a lot more than a chat room - has its lulls in interest but it's far the best - except for those politics threads - stay away from them! some of that lot would have thought Hitler was a nice guy, just resettling a few people ....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
You lived in St Columb

? small world.

Trekenning Road...know that?

We ate quite a bit in the Silver Ball.

and yes a lovely part of the world.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:11 pm
I was 3 years old and it was only briefly - so no! I remember St Mawgan and St Eval better - I lived at St Eval from age 4 -10 and LOVED it down there, In St Mawgan village we rented half a large Georgian farmhouse - the farmer lived in the other half - an idyllic life. <deep sigh>

I now live in the centre of a city (luckily not a big city) as far from the coast as you can get Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:15 pm
leicester?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:24 am
yes! - you can't get much further from the sea can you? 100 miles - it makes for a looooong day when I go painting there
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:32 am
If you lived in Texas, Vivien, 100 miles inland would be considered close to the seashore. Not exactly on the coast, but what's a couple of hours' drive? People in that state think absolutely nothing of driving 50 miles just to go have dinner or see a film. Stamford, TX, where my wife was born, is considered a suburb of the city of Abilene. It's about 30 - 35 miles distant.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:22 pm
aaah but it isn't motorway to get there - it's across country and is about a 3 hour drive - 2 1/2 on a very good day in the early morning or late at night. Our roads are twisty not dead straight like those in the US appear to be Very Happy

Sections of it are dual carriageway but most is 2 way traffic and lots of twists and villages etc - one village slows you down to 15mph at certain times and the cameras in the speed traps WORK! you've never seen traffic slow down and obey the signs as much as they do there!

oh - and we pay a LOT more for our petrol - about £1 a litre at the moment Sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 08:23 am
Well . . . it don't matter, 'cause you cain't git there from here . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 08:24 am
I was in Texas, once.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 01:29:46