fresh wild salmon

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:10 pm
So, it has finally moved on into my brain that I am actually moving out of the northwest coast. I will miss it and not miss it and miss it and not miss it.

In the miss column will be the ready availability, or relative availability, of really good salmon. Not, I gather, as compared to yesteryear or yesterday, but, compared to in my local market when I lived in LA and more likely, in my new local market, whatever it is, in New Mexico.

So, with that in mind, I headed to the fish counter tonight and see fresh wild salmon filet at $12.00 or was it more a pound.

Ok, go for it, I'll have one piece of the wild, a biggish one.

Well, that was interpreted as sort of big and flat, as opposed to the thick pieces toward the face of the counter, but hey.

It came to $9.00 but will make two meals for me.

I put some olive oil in a pan and threw in a little chopped garlic, a tad of salt and a lot of crushed pepper, and some white wine still amazingling unvinegary from the fridge and cooked that down and then added a chopped up walla walla onion, which I highheated until the liquid sort of disappeared and then squished a big lemon on it all. Shut it off and let sit.

Sauteed the fishy piece in not so much olive oil, for a bit, then put a lid on it so I wouldn't have to clean the stovetop, checked it, not yet, sauteed some more, there we go.

Cut it in half, put the great half on a plate, now looking just as good as thos e bigger pieces at the market. Smothered it all with onion pepper lemon mix, and took some tartar sauce from a refrigerated jar of local, I think, preservative filled smush.... just, you know, for the contrast.

Damn that was good. Great great texture and flavor. Worth ever cent of tonight's $4.50 and memorable.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,698 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:12 pm
Of course now I'll have fish dreams.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:51 pm
i will copy this recipe with my not so 'fresh caught' salmon ..
that sounds wonderful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:37 pm
Shewolf, I keep trying to match a topping at a local restaurant, Hurricane Kate's. It's never quite the same as theirs, but always good.

The wallawalla onions are interesting in that that mush up if you cook them too long. They are "sweet onions", meant not for long stews or onion soup...

Unfortunately I don't know what 'too long' is, exactly.
If you use regular onions, then they wouldn't have to cook so fast...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:00 pm
Sounds good osso. I had tonight grilled Salmon with
lima beans, cucumbers and a great sauce in a restaurant,
which I will try at home one of these days....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:04 pm
Lima beans and cucumbers together? Cold? Warm? Trying to imagine this...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:05 pm
The lima beans and the cucumber were cold, as was the sauce, but the grilled salmon on top was hot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:10 pm
Real fresh lima beans? I haven't had those in a while (much less the canned ones)... I can see that it would work with garden fresh ones.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:14 pm
Yes, they were fresh, not canned. The cucumbers were also
not the little fat green ones, it was the European kind, and
cut into half moon shape (with the kernels removed).
0 Replies

maxpower hd

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:47 am
Hawaiian Grilled Salmon
I tried this very simple Salmon Recipe the other day and it was delicious.

1-2 lb. Salmon filet
Lawry's caribbean jerk marinade
a small can of coconut milk
Pam cooking spray

Mix the coconut milk with the marinade. Marinade the Salmon filet for two hours or so. Spray the grill with the cooking spray and pre-heat. Grill until brown on the outside and flaky in the middle. Baste with the remaining marinade while cooking. I left the skin on but it quickly came off while grilling.

It can't get much easier and it was delicious. I have also been told to add Vedalia onions and fresh mushrooms. I didn't this time around because I was camping and had no way to keep them from falling through the grill.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:02 am
Hmm, I like jerk sauce on meat and chicken sometimes, but I dunno about putting it on $13.00 a pound (I checked the price) salmon, when I love good salmon on its own. On the other hand, I've never put it with coconut milk - maybe I'll try that with chicken first.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:36 am
Oh, if envy were not a sin I would be envying you so much right now, Osso! Screw it, I am envying you!

Fresh fish is one of the things I miss the most about not living in California now. And good, crusty sourdough bread. And pesto, although I will grow my own basil and make it from scratch now.

Ahhhhh memories of seafood. Enjoy your fish dreams while you can, woman!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:38 am
I will, I will...
0 Replies