Arnett TV statement US war policy failure: good or bad idea?

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:07 am
What do you think of reporter Peter Arnett's interview on Iraqi TV that the US war plan has failed? --- BumbleBeeBoogie

Journalist Peter Arnett, covering the war from Baghdad, told state-run Iraqi TV in an interview aired Sunday that the American-led coalition's first war plan had failed because of Iraq's resistance and said strategists are "trying to write another war plan."

By DAVID BAUDER
The Associated Press
Sunday, March 30, 2003; 9:11 PM

FOR COMPLETE STORY:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54889-2003Mar30.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,832 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:17 am
There is an ethical question here. When does journalism become propaganda- and when does reporting give "aid and comfort (and perhaps too much information) to the enemy"!

Next thing you know, he'll be reporting our battle plans to the Iraqis. Yeecch!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:30 am
well since he has already been fired he's history.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:34 am
dyslexia- When was he fired?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:35 am
Arnett fired by NBC
NBC fired Arnett, but what about National Geographic? BBB

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=496&u=/ap/20030331/ap_on_en_tv/war_arnett_10&printer=1
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:40 am
BBB- Thanks for the link. I think that this quote from your link says it all:

Quote:
He said the Iraqis allowed him to stay in Baghdad because they respect him and "see me as a fellow warrior."

I am sure that there is a nice house in Baghdad that he could buy. Good riddance!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:52 am
But, my question was should he or shouldn't he?
Given the history of government hiding its mistakes, in future years, we may learn that Peter Arnett was correct in his views of the US war plans, etc.

But that wasn't my question re the reporter ethics of his actions.

Even if he Knew the truth of his theory (and I don't know how he could unless he had leaks from very high pentagon or CentCom authority) should he have made the statements publically AND on Iraqi TV?

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:09 am
BBB- Exactly my thoughts. During wartime, I am sure that reporters see many things, the reporting of which would aid the enemy. Even if his allegations are true, he should have been wise enough to keep it to himself. Certainly, to broadcast this information on the Iraqi state run media is a breach of professional ethics, IMO.

I can only draw a couple of conclusions, not of which are positive for Mr. Arnett:

He is a very stupid man, or

He has an agenda that is against the aims of the Coalition.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:28 am
new information re Arnett, Geraldo Rivera, and Fox TV
Interesting perspective and new information re Arnett and Fox TV:

QUOTE: "Arnett's comments are sure to touch off a debate about journalists covering the war, magnifying issues of bias being tossed about on both sides. And Arnett's appearance has already solidified the argument that one network, Fox News, has no qualms about waving the flag during this war. On Sunday night, Fox News took sole possession of the Arnett interview and whipped it into a media story by saying his actions were aiding Iraq."

Interesting because, according to The Drudge Report, tabloid FOX TV apparently has fired it's sleeze reporter Geraldo Rivera: "DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE: U.S. military expels FOX NEWS CHANNEL's Geraldo Rivera from Iraq after violating rule; giving away crucial details of future military operations during a live broadcast... Developing..."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/03/31/MN249533.DTL

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:31 am
I understand all of your concerns -- but aren't we all complaining that people like Saddam try to "manage" the news.

Arnett pretty much gave his comments as opinions. He is entitled to them. And if all our protestations about freedom to speak mean anything, we should really be applauding the Iraqi media for allowing the truth to be told -- even if they did so only for personal advantage.

We've got to get over some of the nonsense of this war.

Rumsfeld keeps talking about the Iraqis "not fighting fair."

Holy moley -- we are the most powerful country the planet has ever seen and we are invading (WITHOUT FIRST HAVING BEEN INVADED) a third world country. And we are complaining that they are not fighting fair???!!!

That is like Mike Tyson in a fist fight with a cub scount -- complaining that the kid is not fighting fair.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:31 am
For shame!!!!!!!!!!

A reporter telling the truth instead of parroting American propaganda. What was he thinking??? Does he really believe that there should be an independant media in the US?

Let's hang him!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:43 am
Sorry guys, I think that during wartime, one must be careful about information given to the enemy. Would you want some of our military to be hurt or killed because some reporter couldn't keep his mouth shut?

Should the enemy receive information that could hurt the coalition, just to get a "scoop"?

WAR IS NOT A DAMN REALITY SHOW. IT IS REAL LIFE!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:25 am
Two more thoughts...

I just saw footage of Arnett's interview with Iraqi television and his apology to America. The fact he was speaking on Iraqi television was poor judgement. The format gives me pause, not the content of what he said.

However, A reporters first responsibility is to the news not to the military. The military should do the military's job and let the journalists do the journalist's job.

The journalist's job is far more important than the military's. They represent truth, the humanity and accountability. They ensure human rights on both sides and keep the army that I am paying for from commiting too many atrocities.

And ... Peter Arnett is certainly a more reliable voice than Donald Rumsfeld's pathetic assertions that everything is going according to plan..

Except in cases that would specifically compromise a military action (i.e. immediate tactical plans) the military should just butt out and let reporters do their jobs.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:36 am
interesting? statement made by NBC prior to political spin "NBC praised Arnett's outstanding reporting from Iraq and said he was trying nothing more than to give an analytical response to an interviewer's questions" "The first Bush administration was unhappy with Arnett's reporting about the allied bombing of a baby-milk factory in Bagdad that the military said was a biological weapons plant."
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:39 am
How do we call regimes where people get sacked because they say what they think?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:51 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Sorry guys, I think that during wartime, one must be careful about information given to the enemy. Would you want some of our military to be hurt or killed because some reporter couldn't keep his mouth shut?

Should the enemy receive information that could hurt the coalition, just to get a "scoop"?

WAR IS NOT A DAMN REALITY SHOW. IT IS REAL LIFE!

COMMENT:

I agree with you on most things, Phoenix, but I think you are off base here.

Our side has certainly interveiwed Iraqis.

Nothing wrong with Iraqis interviewing one of ours.

And Arnett was merely giving views of how he thought the war was going and what his feelings were about various aspects of the war.

We do that here in A2K -- and many of us have expressed views identical to those of Arnett.

Iraqis can come on to the internet and read every word we write.

Would you have us muzzled?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:00 pm
Nothing wrong with what Arnett said on t.v.. That's his job - to say what he thinks is the truth. To censure him for it is against our freedom of speech. As long as he's not giving away military secrets, he should be free to say anything that he sees from his observations. c.i.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:05 pm
Just for argument sake, what is a TV reporter doing being interviewed by anyone? Isn't he the one supposed to be doing the interviewing?

That's the part that bewilders me a bit. I have nothing against what he thinks, but can't figure out why he was interviewed as though he's the expert...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:09 pm
When I hear about Peter Arnett's behavior, I recall in memory the British citizen Mr. William Joyce, better known as Lord Haw Haw. I want to remember to Mr. Arnett that this "lord" that has never been a member of the House of Lords was hanged for treason in 1946. Mr. Arnett should feel himself lucky for being only fired.
Since the USA is a republic, and there are no lords, I think that Mr. Arnett should get a nickname "Haw Haw" without any noblesse titles.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:13 pm
By the way, Lord Haw Haw did not disclose any British military secrets for a very simple reason: he had no access to them, and the only secrets he could disclose were these of his employers from Berlin. But he attempted to undermine moral of his compatriots during the war, and was punished for this. By the way, Lord Haw Haw cooperated with enemy being led by his political convictions; but this did not save him from the deserved punishment.
0 Replies