Logic & Churchgoers

fdrhs

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:09 am
Why do churchgoers hate logic?
Does anyone know? I notice that church people get very defensive when asked to view the Bible in a scientific way. They shout: WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS NO GOD? See my point?

I cannot have a conversation with a church person in terms of science, cloning, whatever without getting biblically attacked. What should knowledge stand still? Do we all seek the truth? Don't you want to know the truth?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,706 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:12 am
What makes you think that this is the case?
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:19 am
ok
I notice that church people get very defensive when asked to view the Bible in a scientific way. They shout: WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS NO GOD? See my point?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:25 am
It's a good one, too, as you make it here. Darwin was trained in theology to be a cleric in the Anglican church. In The Origin of the Species, he mentions "The Creator." Nevertheless, the more fanatical fundamentalists continue to rant about "evolutionists," as though it were an ideology, and to assert that scientists who study evolutionary biology want to prove that god does not exist. That properly constitutes a post hoc fallacy and is the epitome of "illogic."

Good point you have made, fdrhs.
0 Replies

iknow

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:33 am
yeah, it sortof has to be a scientific topic if you want to discuss it scientifically in the first place.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:48 am
The term "Logic" is too generic. Any system of logic needs to have two features:
- A starting set of things you "know" to be true.
- A set of rules for "proving" new things to be true based on what you already know.

Most churchgoers start with a fairly large set of things that they "know" to be true. They are not willing to question these truths. Among these are the infallability of the Bible and the existance of God.

If you start with these things as absolute, unquestionable truths... you can then derive a consistant system of logic.

In any system of logic, when two things you "know" contradict, then one of them must be wrong. If you accept the truth of the Bible as an absolute truth, and some other fact contradicts it, then logic dictates that it is the other fact, not the Bible , that is wrong.

This is what happened with creationism-- a dictate that is accepted unquestionably as an absolute truth was contradicted by a "fact" that scientists derived from evidence.

To say that "everything that contradicts the Bible is wrong" is logical-- If you subscribe to that particular form of logic.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:49 am
The assertion of this thread is that Churchgoers have no logic. It does not allude to scientific analysis or anything else. It may be a good point to you Set, but the point is lost on me. What is the premise of this thread?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:54 am
I must admit that I don't go often to church (as a catholic I should, I know :wink: ), but I do.

And I have no logic - ask Mrs. Walter :wink:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:16 am
More attempts to marginalize Christian thought.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:20 am
Do you have something to contribute Husker?

Perhaps you can tell us what specifically you are are complaining about.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:25 am
husker wrote:

You see, husker, I am a Christian, a Roman Catholic to specify it.

As I admitted in my post, I don't go to church often.
But that's completely my business and has nothing at all to do to call me "marginalising Christian thought"!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:38 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
husker wrote:

You see, husker, I am a Christian, a Roman Catholic to specify it.

As I admitted in my post, I don't go to church often.
But that's completely my business and has nothing at all to do to call me "marginalising Christian thought"!

I suspect he wasn't referring to your post, Walter, which appears to be quite harmless.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:48 am
Ticomaya wrote:
...your post, Walter, appears to be quite harmless.

Two Pater Noster and Ave Maria, I think, at the confession. :wink:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 10:05 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Do you have something to contribute Husker?

Perhaps you can tell us what specifically you are are complaining about.

sames discourse different atheist
0 Replies

DeepThinkr

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 02:25 pm
I'm a regular church goer, and a devoted christian. i believe that christ died to save the souls of all who come to him.

i do not shy away from logical discussions. there is a difference between churchgoers and christians. you can't associate the two as being the same, although they certainly go together. churchgoers, (and uneducated christians for that matter), say they believe in God, but they can't say why- only that they were told that there is a God. But a true Christian who has researched and looked into what they believe can tell you not only what they believe, but why as well. a true christian should have logically concluded that Christ was truth, therefore in times of logical discussion, they can logically defend the side of christ.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 03:35 pm
DT, Your assumption does not work, because there are christians that claim that meny who call themselves christian isn't a christian. It doesn't matter how much "research" they have accomplished and concluded Christ was truth.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:28 pm
Re: Logic & Churchgoers
fdrhs wrote:
Why do churchgoers hate logic?
Does anyone know? I notice that church people get very defensive when asked to view the Bible in a scientific way. They shout: WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS NO GOD? See my point?

I cannot have a conversation with a church person in terms of science, cloning, whatever without getting biblically attacked. What should knowledge stand still? Do we all seek the truth? Don't you want to know the truth?

Perhaps your frustration stems from your own expectations? Those with a strong faith in God and the bible may have a different approach to logic than you. You simply may not be breaching the subject in a constructive way.

It sounds like you are attempting to discuss science in church. That just seems a little odd to me.
When learning about science; turn to those who are knowledgable about science.
When seeking spiritual/biblical knowledge; go to those who have studied it.

I don't believe churchgoes necessarily hate logic. Many are extremely logical; many are quite illogical.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:45 pm
flushed, BINGO! It's the illogic that people from all background will/should attack. That's the reason why many scientists can also be religious, and visa-versa.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:56 pm
I agree Cicerone.
Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 09:59 pm
Why do politicians hate logic?
0 Replies