Religion--WHO IS RIGHT?

fdrhs

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:29 am
Does my religious belief make it realistic? For example, if I believe in the rapture, does the fact that I accepted the rapture as truth make the rapture event realistic? Some say there is life after death. Okay. Some say there is no life after death. What difference does it make what any of us HUMANS believe?

Mr. Clown can believe that a cow is God while John Doe believes that crocodiles have spirits. What difference does it make? Some accept the Bible as God's word; others do not. Who is right? Who is wrong? Get my point? I don't understand why people FIGHT and DIE for their faith. What is faith anyway?

I know the apostle Paul defined FAITH in the Bible but who is Paul? Did Paul really exist? How do we know? God is abstract. NO ONE has ever spoken to or with God. People select a religion and feel happy about their choice, right? What makes my religion any better than yours? What makes your religion the right way and mine the wrong way? What is your view in terms of what people accept as religious truth?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 630 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:31 am
Quote:
What is your view in terms of what people accept as religious truth?

H. L. Mencken observed that no one ever went broke understimating the taste of the American public. I'll extend that somewhat to observe that no priest ever went hungry by appealing to the credulity of a community.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:50 am
Humans invented religion.
Its all made up.
Believe it if you want, its there for the taking.Or just go on what you see and feel.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 12:31 pm
Re: Religion--WHO IS RIGHT?
fdrhs wrote:
Mr. Clown can believe that a cow is God while John Doe believes that crocodiles have spirits.

I object. I do not believe that a cow is God. Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 12:41 pm
Quote:
I object. I do not believe that a cow is God. Laughing

Why not? It's as good a guess as any that I have ever heard!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 12:44 pm
Yeah, but it's not CR's guess. He has a right to have his delusions properly described, and not subjected to belittling remarks.
0 Replies

JAMESDG

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:53 pm
If you look at a car is it wise to think that the car just put it self together by chance? Or would it be wise to think that the complexity of a car with all the computers and stuff had a creator? the brain is so complex that we can not lear barely anything about it. It is more complex then any thing made. So with all of that being said would it be wise to conclude that there would be a creator for the brain and that it just didn't come about over chance? What do you think?
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 02:18 am
I think you should say that on the evolution thread. I think some members will have some recommended reading for you. I'll suggest the Blind Watchmaker. I was pretty convinced of the 'life is too complex' argument until I read it.
0 Replies